grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

I, for one, find Beyond poor performance a silver lining in the midst of so many generic bad tentpoles succeeding and Hollywood blockbuster system going to hell.

People shouldn't settle for mediocrity, and they didn't, not this time.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Ivan Reitman confirmed Sony will move forward with the Ghostbusters franchise. I'm so happy, this was one of the best movies of the year. :worthy:

Ghostbusters franchise =/= Ghostbusters 2. I will be really surprised if we actually get a sequel to Ghostbusters. The franchise will continue for sure, with the animated movie next in 2018/2019 and then most likely a start from scratch reboot.

The entire reason Sony set up Ghost Corps was to exploit the GB IP as much as possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Ghostbusters franchise =/= Ghostbusters 2. I will be really surprised if we actually get a sequel to Ghostbusters. The franchise will continue for sure, with the animated movie next in 2018/2019 and then most likely a start from scratch reboot.

The entire reason Sony set up Ghost Corps was to exploit the GB IP as much as possible.

There is clearly not much to explore lol.

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

Since these were brought up in the weekend thread - final numbers

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $128,350,574    56.0%
Foreign:  $100,796,935    44.0%

Worldwide:  $229,147,509  

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $158,848,340    46.2%
Foreign:  $184,623,476    53.8%

Worldwide:  $343,471,816  

Both earned more than 10M in just 2 OS territories not counting China. Domestic was "fine" but OS really hurt both franchises.

And going back to my original post pages and months ago, nothing went wrong. They did fine. Will both be nice additions to someone on cable and/or streaming.

Edited by GiantCALBears

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

Since these were brought up in the weekend thread - final numbers

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $128,350,574    56.0%
Foreign:  $100,796,935    44.0%

Worldwide:  $229,147,509  

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $158,848,340    46.2%
Foreign:  $184,623,476    53.8%

Worldwide:  $343,471,816  

Both earned more than 10M in just 2 OS territories not counting China. Domestic was "fine" but OS really hurt both franchises.

I would say that is not a "fine" number for Star Trek DOM either.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Ivan Reitman confirmed Sony will move forward with the Ghostbusters franchise. I'm so happy, this was one of the best movies of the year. :worthy:

I'll believe it when I see it. He's not the first person to proclaim a sequel to an obvious failure in the same calendar year said film was released.

Reality takes longer to set in for some folks....see Democrats current mental state for exhibit A. 

1 hour ago, Kingp0va said:

i cant believe star trek is getting a sequel after this one flopped

Has there any news that they greenlight the sequel ?

It would not surprise me a post Wonder Woman Pine / Hemsworth star trek movie if it can be at a good price is not a bad idea.

I think you generally have to just adjust your word flopped and it would after make it easier to understand why they would entertain a star trek sequel, it did not really flop it was not that far from is budget on the domestic box office alone.

At 1.85x time is budget at the box office with strong domestic, that make it enter the to close to call if it even loose or made money territory (for the sums of every player involved, not even just from paramount POV), let alone know if it did flop and loose a very large amount of money (I really doubt it)

The bigger the budget, the smaller P&A become relative to the total cost and usually the movie need to do less and less relative to is budget to turn into the black, specially for a geek collector item that do well in home media sales usually.

Take that movie for example:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ferrellwahlberg2010.htm

The Other Guys

Production Budget: $100 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $119,219,978    70.0%
Foreign:  $51,212,949    30.0%

= Worldwide:  $170,432,927  

Only a 1.7 ratio, people that do not know much about how movie revenue work would call it a flop but it made a nice 30 million in profit (4.6m going to the stars 25.6m going to Sony), why ? Because of is very large budget and strong domestic ratio. The other guy generated 248.877m in revenues, judging only from is 78.291 made in rentals is looking at less than 33% of that movie revenue stream and trying to conclude something is really misleading, every movie has is own story and rules of thumb about them do not exist that much.

Big movie that do between 1.65 and 2.25 time their budget can be misleading and if we do not have info on them are probably left off in the they did kind of well or not too bad /too close to call for us to say zone.

P.S. seem to have a lot of Star Trek talk in the news because of the TV series, so not that weird of a bump.

Edited by Barnack

yeah that's right but it still flopped for a blockbuster IMO. or heavily underperformed. I'm gonna compare those blockbuster franchises to movies like star wars, guardians, avengers, xmen, etc not saying it should do close to them at all, but those movie made like 5-4x their budget (x men is fading but yeah...)

36 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

yeah that's right but it still flopped for a blockbuster IMO. or heavily underperformed. I'm gonna compare those blockbuster franchises to movies like star wars, guardians, avengers, xmen, etc not saying it should do close to them at all, but those movie made like 5-4x their budget (x men is fading but yeah...)

Sure it vastly underperformed, but movie have such a large gap between under performing (doing less than a good expected say 15% ROI), breaking even and flopping, the difference between those 3 result can be 300+m in WW box office.

Pure money printing / pure cash grab projects like all those you named should never be ok to be in the 2 close to call zone (that should be reserved to project giving them street creds and still a win if they loose little money/break even like Baby Driver was, Tree of Life, Deadpool etc.... that augment the studio ability to work with interesting producer/director at a good price point in the future and have value for them) I never said it was a failure, I said that it probably didn't flop (lost a large amount of money), but you do not seem to use the word flop like people usually do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

In the film and media industry, if a film released in theaters fails to break even by a large amount, it is considered a box office bomb or box office flop, thus losing money for the distributor, studio, and/or production company that invested in it

So maybe you did mean something else by it (maybe you use it to say any form of under-performance indiscriminately ?)

Edited by Barnack