grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I'm using IMDB troll math.

Not with Marketing costs, 25% of China etc, it hasn't.

They didn't do much marketing, at least not a big push like the other CBMs.  So I think it did even with that. And it only made $1.8M less towards equaling its budget domestically than GB, and XA stopped tracking a while ago.  My point is that I think Ghostbusters was budgeted poorly and brought in decent revenues for a comedy (and XA for that matter was budgeted poorly too, to some extent) but I don't think how other films did is important.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Sony has no one to blame but themselves for the Ghostbusters debacle. The marketing for it was atrocious. The trailers weren't a selling point and they tried to use some controversy to drum up buzz for a film. What is crazy to me, is that its numbers aren't even bad especially for a comedy, but then you look at its budget and it changes the story completely. You take into account that none of the leads are International stars and you realize that if Ghostbusters was going to be successful, it needed to breakout in a big big way in the states and unfortunately it didn't do that. 

Sad because aside from Ghostbusters, Sony actually had a very successful summer. They had Angry Birds do $347M WW on a budget of $73M, The Shallows is at $84M WW and counting on a $17M budget, Sausage Party is at $76M WW and counting on a $19M budget and based on how successful horror films have been, I imagine Don't Breathe is going to close out their summer on a high note. 

Unfortunately the money they've made from Angry Birds, The Shallows, Sausage Party and Don't Breathe will be used to cover the losses for Ghostbusters. A film that without its ridiculous budget, actually performed very well. 

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:04 PM, Ozymandias said:

The worst thing that happened to Star Trek in the last few years was the revival of Star Wars.  The new Star Trek movies were made more like Star Wars to reach a wider audience and now the real thing is back.

Ghostbusters had terrible trailers, weak WOM, and a largely manufactured controversy by Sony/pundits that backfired on them, or at the very least didn't work.

Agreed. BY making Star Trek to be so much like Star Wars they sacrificed what was unique about Trek and made the franchise into a wannabe. Then when the original came back people lost

interest. It worked in the short term but was a bad stargety in the long term.

My biggest quarrel with the Abrams reboot is they are not doing a lot  of going where no man has ever gone before.

Also am amazed that Paramount did not exploit the 50th Anniversary, particularly after seeing how brilliantly and successfully SONY used the 50th Anniversary of James Bond back in 2012.Huge misstep.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 4

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, trifle said:

XA has made profit from box office alone, WW.  It's at about $545M world wide right now.

Fox doesn't get all the WW money, though. A significant portion of it, sure, but not all of it.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Fox doesn't get all the WW money, though. A significant portion of it, sure, but not all of it.

I'm aware of that, but it made more than 3 times its budget.

Edited by trifle

• Community Manager
Just now, trifle said:

I'm aware of that, but it made more than 3 times its budget.

Sure. Ofc if you asked FOX, they'd say "no, X-Men Apocalypse did not make a profit. It's deep in the red. Stop asking, we're not sending out royalty checks anytime soon."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Sure. Ofc if you asked FOX, they'd say "no, X-Men Apocalypse did not make a profit. It's deep in the red. Stop asking, we're not sending out royalty checks anytime soon."

LOL!

Participations math has always been complicated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Like most movies?

Yep, that's right.   The real question is, how much did they make from international pre-sales, merchandising, etc.  Sony claims that offset a lot, of course, but others are skeptical. 

Yes, this is a 'loser' summer in many ways for Hollywood, but the reason Ghostbusters is being scrutinized so heavily is partially due to how much Sony and the filmmaker boasted about its "merits" and created a PR debacle of their own making when the movie simply isn't anything special. 

• Like 2

Guys, I just used the wrong verb, I'm well aware how badly the movie flopped and I've been here long enough to know how the BO works, thank you for the enforced lessons nonetheless lol. I suppose I should have used "earned" instead, my bad.

• Like 1

I wonder if SONY really overestimated GB 16's earning power in the international market. They forgot that most American comedies do not do well overseas,and most American comedy stars, no matter how well they might draw in the US, don't have much drawing power overseas. US Comedies like "Ted" which are big hits overseas as well, are definently the exception, not the rule.

40 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Guys, I just used the wrong verb, I'm well aware how badly the movie flopped and I've been here long enough to know how the BO works, thank you for the enforced lessons nonetheless lol. I suppose I should have used "earned" instead, my bad.

Or even better, grossed!

Edited by m3racer123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Well, I wouldn't say it flopped, either...this isn't Ben-Hur. 

• Like 1

Yeah, everyone acts like Ghostbusters was some miserable flop when it really wasn't. An underperformer, maybe, but not a flop. This isn't Alice Through the Looking Glass or Warcraft (yeah, I'm aware that did amazing in China, but given its awful reception and dreadful domestic total, a franchise for it is all but dead at this point).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, everyone acts like Ghostbusters was some miserable flop when it really wasn't. An underperformer, maybe, but not a flop. This isn't Alice Through the Looking Glass or Warcraft (yeah, I'm aware that did amazing in China, but given its awful reception and dreadful domestic total, a franchise for it is all but dead at this point).

Well, I wouldn't say that, either!  ...  Pacific Rim 2, the most unlikely sequel in a while... says Hello.  ...and why?  Because of Chinese investment/box office. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Well, I wouldn't say that, either!  ...  Pacific Rim 2, the most unlikely sequel in a while... says Hello.  ...and why?  Because of Chinese investment/box office. 

There is a huge discrepancy between $101M with mostly positive reviews and $47M with mostly awful reviews.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nope it's a flop and money loser. The denial here is amazing

• Like 1