Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Technically, that's their job.

I think their job is to speak for themselves, actually.  Really, who gives a shit about a reviewer who speaks for consumers?  I'm no interested in what they think Ill think.

• Like 3

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

The working title for Bendis Guardians was COSMIC AVENGERS.  That's how incredibly wrong he gets those characters. That's fundamentally wrong from the ground up. Marvel Comics is losing all the best writers in the industry to DC Comics lately, they just lost Tom King (easily their best writer from Vision), they lost Tim Seeley, Scott Snyder works for DC and Marvel has Lemire working a boring ass version of the X-Men when his strenghts are with STRANGE and WEIRD (just look at Animal Man from DC), he is the one that should be writing Doctor Strange there. Marvel Comics favors Bendis over all the new talent that falls on their lap, and it just sucks. What he is doing with Iron Man sucks, he killing off Rhodey sucks, he making Hawkeye killing the Hulk sucks, everything sucks. To not say that ALL Marvel writers are awful, I love Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man and I think he's the best writer they have, next to David Walker. The single title I'm excited other than Amazing Spidey is David Walker's Occupy Avengers. And that's it. While I'm buying pretty much ALL DC Rebirth titles. It's crazy how Marvel Comics failed me so fucking badly. I just can't stand pretty much anything they are doing and I feel that Bendis having free reign there is the root of all the problems. And God I miss Jonathan Hickman. Everything went to the fucking gutters after Secret Wars that it's just fucking embarassing. 

Jonathan Hickman supposedly might have something for DC. If its Justice League of America, Justice Society, or Legion paired w/ one of their 4 ace artists that aren't assigned to a title yet (Reis, Fabok, Mahnke, or Frank), I'd freak out.

Jason Aaron is okay in my book. Fraction, Remender, and Hickman looked like Marvel would have such a strong core of next-gen writers. Instead they're just being innovative for Image instead.

Imagine how amazing Marvel Rebirth would be though? DC has a strong line without even displaying their best talent yet, and I don't even know how they're doing it. Marvel, imo, probably has better talent, so just the right direction can go such a long way. I don't need the X-Men to be as great as the 70s and 80s, but I'm salivating at the thought that it could at least try to conjure what made that franchise so great instead of Bendising it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think you and a few other members on this board have this false narrative of DC haters being on suicide watch and then continue to paint on enemies that don't even exist. BvS was hurt because of terrible WOM that killed it's legs. It's OW and Monday and Tuesday drops weren't indicative of the type of drops it was going to have. Heck no one knew until that second weekend happened and the days/weeks that followed. 

What's up Nova, First I don't do "False" Narratives, not my style.  I try to research as much as possible before I form my opinion.   Next I didn't paint any enemies.  There are DC Haters out there, that's a fact (Just read some of those reviews, the bias is jumping off screen).  I never pointed to anyone specific because I talk numbers and throw in my artistic opinion when needed.  Also not my style to call out any of my fellow box office analysist.   We all agree to disagree but I keep it civil.    I agree it's still early for SS but it had a Historic Opening weekend and a Historic Monday and Tuesday (Bigger than BatsVSupes and Civil War).   How about we give props were props is due.  This same thing happen with "Jurassic World" last summer with a lot of people not accepting it's success.  

As for BatsVSupes, I'd say the critics hurt the movie just as much as WOM.  We are in the information digital age.  When I grew up, we had Siskel and Ebert and the newspapers and maybe a news report here or there.   Sometimes a movie would be out weeks before WOM would really be measured.   Now with the click of a buttom people get instant reviews and that can shape their movie choices.    Yes sometimes movies  are "Critic Proof"  (Cough Transformers Cough) and some are not.  "Suicide Squad" thus far is proving to be critic proof but we will see how it holds this weekend.    "BatsVSupes" OW was critic proof, it's further weeks were not.   Sure some of that was WOM but you can't deny critical pile on was brutal.    Overall I'm a fan of comics period.  I grew up in the 80's so it's apart of my childhood.  Marvel, DC even Image comics.   So I'm not apart of this comicbook flame fanboy/girl war.  I judge all movies indivisually as they come.   So inconclusion I stand by statement.   People that want DC to fail are on Sucide Watch as Suicide Squad continues to break records.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

OH, And Dan Abnett? The guy that with Andy Lanning made Guardians amazing? He did THE BEST ANAD comic next to Tom King's Vision, Hercules. Just brilliant stuff. Extremely well researched and with a lot of heart. Herc could easily become huge in the MCU. Marvel Comics ignored him and now he's an exclusive writer to DC, writing both Aquaman and Titans. It's not nearly as good as his Herc, but I'm sure he'll find his feet, because he is a fucking BRILLIANT writer. That Marvel lost it. Again. While Bendis will do what Bendis will do. And Marvel Comics keeps going to hell. 

DnA have been a glorious addition to the writing ranks since the 80s, but it was really their run on Legion of Super Heroes with Olivier Coipel that just floored me. Have you read it? If not, be sure to check it out. When people laughed at WBs ideas of making a Legion film, I don't think they've ever seen this run in comics. Btw, Mark Waid and Tom Peyer also wrote an amazing Legion run. They look so corny, but it's the best thing to 80's X-Men, Titans, Legion.

Also, watch Train to Busan. It has nothing to do with comics, but imo, best movie of the summer, lol.

Some of you wonder why there is so much sarcasm towards some of the people who hate the movie?  This was actually movieman89's quote from the weekend thread.  This is after the early RTH Saturday number came in.  There was actually some posters who questioned if it would hit 200 mill off a 125 OW.  

Ridiculous.  

Go to page 150 of the weekend thread and you'll see others actually say it could miss 200.

On 8/7/2016 at 0:23 AM, MovieMan89 said:

What if it only does 200ish, or lol, fails to hit that mark? Then will it still be a good performance? Because a 125 OW doesn't put that scenario entirely out of the realm of possibility with that kind of internal frontloading. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Jonathan Hickman supposedly might have something for DC. If its Justice League of America, Justice Society, or Legion paired w/ one of their 4 ace artists that aren't assigned to a title yet (Reis, Fabok, Mahnke, or Frank), I'd freak out.

Jason Aaron is okay in my book. Fraction, Remender, and Hickman looked like Marvel would have such a strong core of next-gen writers. Instead they're just being innovative for Image instead.

Imagine how amazing Marvel Rebirth would be though? DC has a strong line without even displaying their best talent yet, and I don't even know how they're doing it. Marvel, imo, probably has better talent, so just the right direction can go such a long way. I don't need the X-Men to be as great as the 70s and 80s, but I'm salivating at the thought that it could at least try to conjure what made that franchise so great instead of Bendising it.

Where did you hear Hickman might be doing a DC book?

4 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Some of you wonder why there is so much sarcasm towards some of the people who hate the movie?  This was actually movieman89's quote from the weekend thread.  This is after the early RTH Saturday number came in.  There was actually some posters who questioned if it would hit 200 mill off a 125 OW.  

Ridiculous.  

Go to page 150 of the weekend thread and you'll see others actually say it could miss 200.

Is that banworthy?  Cause I mean...that's like box office talk for babies.  This isn't Friday the 13th 2009.  Nothing is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Ridiculous.  

Baumer, you're counting your chickens before they hatch. Teens, females, and ethnic minority are the demographic who like this movie. They've had their run, but how can Suicide Squad appeal to the opposite: the old male ethnic majority? That demographic will not be won over, and they're going to be watching Florence this weekend. Also, toxic WOM has been banned on cell phones and internet. It can only reach others through the US Postal Service. You're talking about a delay of over one week before you see its effect. 40m to hit 200m may not be achieved. You'll see!

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Anything can happen. Mark Waid and Geoff Johns just had a dinner together. Might not mean anything, but one can hope.

Where did you hear that? Mark Waid and DC go well together!

DC has been on fire lately. I'm eagerly waiting the Wildstorm news at NY comic con. Now, if they can just release more Milestone book (Jim lee already said Milestone will have their own earth (Earth M).) That would make my day.

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

In Brazil, Suicide Squad has passed the entire run of  Guardians of the Galaxy after only six days in release there, scooping up $14.9M.

:worthy:

So proud of my country

Brazil is a major market, so...great success.  Glad this is doing well, I liked it.

• Like 9