Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

38 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Maybe if Marvel marketed GOTG better it would have opened to more than what it did soerr WB clearly win the marketing battle. I'll let you try to tell me that part of it doesn't matter..

You can't be serious. GOTG was z-list comic book characters nobody had heard about. It was the combination of Disney marketing and reviews that helped the shatter the old August OW record. In my club O/U 250M only a select few had joined, 90%+ people were out. It was a risky project that came up aces with great marketing, good reviews plus good to great WOM.

• Like 14

I think its pretty clear that where DC films are ending up is not the ceiling for them. Just compare MoS, BvS and now SS runs to the DC films that all but dominated the market just 8 and 5 years ago. You had The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises open up to $158M and $160M and then go onto make $534M and $448M in their runs. And this is all without 3D. So yes there is a rush factor to go see DC films, but its pretty clear that if the film was actually liked by the GA it should do gangbusters off of the types OWs that MoS, BvS and now SS had. 

And now of course I'll have people say its unfair to compare those films to the Nolan trilogy because those were critically acclaimed and its such a high standard. But then when we compare them to Marvel films, we get excuses as well and then it turns into a Marvel vs DC fight. 

Maybe we should put the DCEU films into their own little box because clearly they're not up to par enough to be compared to other films. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy before the film came out was defiantly lower on the list of Marvel's superheroes as it was a fairly new title. I imagine if Warner Bros released say Metal Men or Doom Patrol as a film, even with good reviews they wouldn't open to $100m OW because they're not as well known compared to Batman, Superman, Harley Quinn etc

Shazam will be interesting to see because it'll be the first DC film with a character which hasn't appeared in the films unlike Flash or Aquaman which will have had cameos and appeared in Justice League. I think Dwayne Johnson will be a huge factor in its success or failure 

• Like 4

To be fair to DCEU, none of the 3 movies in the universe are flops. They all will easily make profits but the main issue for most is, they're not close to reaching their ceiling. Just imagine, if we get a well reviewed and well liked movie, ceiling is much much higher than any current DCEU movie.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

To be fair to DCEU, none of the 3 movies in the universe are flops. They all will easily make profits but the main issue for most is, they're not close to reaching their ceiling. Just imagine, if we get a well reviewed and well liked movie, ceiling is much much higher than any current DCEU movie.

I mentioned this in my post above. There is no way in the hell that they've reached their ceiling when you had two DC films in the past 10 years that were well received make a shit ton of money. Sure the new DCEU films are profitable, but they could be making so much more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

Indeed, all the movies did well BO-wise
MoS+BvS+SS = almost 2B WW
Far from Marvel yes, but doing well.

Just now, Ohana said:

Indeed, all the movies did well BO-wise
MoS+BvS+SS = almost 2B WW
Far from Marvel yes, but doing well.

Not even Marvel. Look at what The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were able to do. 

Just now, Nova said:

Not even Marvel. Look at what The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were able to do. 

DK trilogy stands on 2.4B WW, that's not too far from what they achieved with the current DCEU
and with a horrible critical reception no less.

Just now, Ohana said:

DK trilogy stands on 2.4B WW, that's not too far from what they achieved with the current DCEU

Yes, but those movies were released when the international box office was a lot smaller than it is now.

2 minutes ago, Ohana said:

I'm talking about The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises specifically and independently. Not as a whole trilogy. Those two films alone make up over $2B of that profit. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, cannastop said:

Yes, but those movies were released when the international box office was a lot smaller than it is now.

It doesn't matter, DCEU got a BO success, you just can't argue with that no matter how you hate it.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

3 minutes ago, Ohana said:

It doesn't matter, DCEU got a BO success, you just can't argue with that no matter how you hate it.

I'm not even talking about that. I only brought up the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises to show you can have a rush factor for DC films, that also have great multipliers so clearly I don't believe the films in the DCEU are hitting their ceiling in terms of how much money they can make. 

• Like 1