Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They're doing fine outside of big movies. Café Society is on track to make a better-than-average gross for a Woody Allen movie these days.

And it's not like this was ever gonna make enormous numbers in the first place.

Everything they released this year flopped/underperformed except Nerve I guess. 

Just now, CJohn said:

Everything they released this year flopped/underperformed except Nerve I guess. 

They released Café Society and that's doing well for a merely decent Woody Allen effort (it'll make more than the Emma Stone-featured flops). What should help Hell or High Water is that it's receiving universal acclaim and will be expanding during a traditionally sluggish box office period (the transitional period that is the dog days of summer and the space-clearing for the fall heavy-hitters) so it should find its way to around $20-25M or so.

9 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

XA went sinking because of quality. It wasn't Jlaw who directed neither wrote the screenplay of the movie. BTW, XA had better legs than Civil War LMFAO. Remembering that XA did $380M OS, lower only than X-DofP in X franchise.

Memorial Day weekend.

11 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

XA went sinking because of quality. It wasn't Jlaw who directed neither wrote the screenplay of the movie. BTW, XA had better legs than Civil War LMFAO. Remembering that XA did $380M OS, lower only than X-DofP in X franchise.

It's funny how you so easily credit her with a bump in the franchise for DOFP, even though as I've already pointed out DOFP was a great film in itself, but are so quickly to dismiss her for the poor sales of XA, because that film was poor in quality. That makes no sense and is actually quite contradictory. Could it be that DOFP was actually good and hence made as much money as it did and XA was just bad which is why it didn't make as much? I'm thinking that's the case more so than Jlaw's "bump" in franchise. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

SLOP passed BvS. SS a nose dive of 68%. WB/DC continue to lose!!

Lol. WB execs must be frustrated. Due to Suicide Squad, the studio will finish the weekend in 2nd place for DOM market share, be the second studio with two 200m+ DOM movies (will likely remain the only other studio to do so this year), and be toying with a 2 billion DOM 2017 (only achieved by this studio once before). As for world-wide numbers, SS is at 465m and will comfortably be in the top 10 of 2017 by next week, and likely could remain there for the rest of the year, possibly beating out SLOP for a spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's funny how you so easily credit her with a bump in the franchise for DOFP, even though as I've already pointed out DOFP was a great film in itself, but are so quickly to dismiss her for the poor sales of XA, because that film was poor in quality. That makes no sense and is actually quite contradictory. Could it be that DOFP was actually good and hence made as much money as it did and XA was just bad which is why it did? I'm thinking that's the case more so than Jlaw's "bump" in franchise. 

I think this X-Men talk has stalled. Maybe it is time to let it go?

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

If anyone noticed but ( as SS will finish around 300 million).

There is no domestic film grossing between 160 -300 million this year lol 

I am still not 100% convinced SS will pass the 300M but at this point if it finishes with 295M maybe WB will keep it around long enough and just fudge it into the mark in November with some Fantastic Beasts cash.

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

I am still not 100% convinced SS will pass the 300M but at this point if it finishes with 295M maybe WB will keep it around long enough and just fudge it into the mark in November with some Fantastic Beasts cash.

True but my point is there has been no 200 million dollar grosser this year which usually is quite common

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They released Café Society and that's doing well for a merely decent Woody Allen effort (it'll make more than the Emma Stone-featured flops). What should help Hell or High Water is that it's receiving universal acclaim and will be expanding during a traditionally sluggish box office period (the transitional period that is the dog days of summer and the space-clearing for the fall heavy-hitters) so it should find its way to around $20-25M or so.

I was talking about wide releases. Cafe Society will end up with a fine DOM total.

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Pets opened with 103M, it is an original animated movie and it had good reviews/WOM. I still don't understand what is so shocking about his legs. 

It is a shocker because nobody believed that before its release.

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If anyone noticed but ( as SS will finish around 300 million).

There is no domestic film grossing between 160 -300 million this year lol 

Trek and Bourne might cross 160M. Also, Interstellar, Martian, and Gravity were in that range, so if "Passengers" performs like those movies, it could potentially fill that gap. Mag 7 and Sing are also possibilities. Maybe Strange.

Edited by superweirdo87

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Especially with weekdays about to erode further due to summer ending... It's going to be interesting.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Pets opened with 103M, it is an original animated movie and it had good reviews/WOM. I still don't understand what is so shocking about his legs. 

Yeah. The most obvious result was in the neighborhood of Minions once it opened the way it did. It will make more $$ than that but hardly to the extent of "shocking". A lot of people convinced themselves it would have bad WOM and weak legs and would barely cross 300M, even though none of the actual signs pointed in that direction.

• Like 2

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

True but my point is there has been no 200 million dollar grosser this year which usually is quite common

Mag 7 could fall in that 160-300m range if it overperforms.

Other contenders: Passengers, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts.

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Two animated films had great legs? No way.

SLOP hasn't had too much competition post Dory unless you count Ice Age LOL.

Not talking about the legs. Who had envisioned SLOP would pass Inside Out before its release?  It is a shocker because it just came out of nowhere in terms of its success.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1