Plain Old Tele

Hell or High Water (2016)

Hell or High Water (2016)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 9/15/2016 at 0:17 PM, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

I don't see it that way at all.  His films, imo, are slow....very slow.  This one was much quicker and much more lively with a much better script.

To me it felt a lot like Killing Them Softly. Cynical and embittered about the failure of the American Dream, with a lot of cinematography-driven scenes.

• Like 1

Repeats itself a lot in the first hour. Gets kinda tiresome after we see White Ranger insulting Indian Ranger or the two brothers being played for contrast for the tenth time, really. Fortunately, the rest is substantially more interesting. Ending is phenomenal.

The cringe when the two brothers started playing like two little kids, with the sunset behind them. :wacko:

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

Simple, but nonetheless powerful in its execution.  In other words, superior Western cinema.

The story follows brothers Tanner and Toby, and more specifically their attempt to keep their parents' ranch in the family upon their mother's passing.  Unfortunately, the ranch is tied up and leveraged by way of a loan to a damn bank.  Naturally, as is typically the case in Texas when confronted with big government and/or business, brash action is taken by way of robbing banks in an attempt to pay off said debt.  

The film finds strength in the execution and progression of the story.  The first fifteen minutes throw the viewer right into the dilemma with little to no warning.  After that initial introduction, things settle down, and what ultimately follows is a character-driven slow-burn Western cinema offering.  It's very much a film that depends on dynamics among the characters above all else, and more specifically the dialogue and interactions held among the characters.  It may be set in a modern setting, but this is classical Western material through and through.

Texas culture is stereotyped by many, but in actuality the state is simply too damn big and diverse to lump all of its characteristics in a neat and tidy bag.  As a Texan who lived in West Texas for about a decade, the magic of this film lies in its portrayal of West Texas culture.  One of my favorite scenes in the film is that of brothers Tanner and Toby sharing a beer on a porch while basking in a sunset overlooking the plains.  Incredibly simple, but absolutely epic if you allow it to take hold over you.  In other words, it's West Texas.

• Like 3

Having lived in various parts of Texas, this film does a great job at portraying West Texas.  I'm not used to seeing many places I've actually been in movies, so it was fairly surreal, especially with the fact that it didn't feel like a caricature of the environment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

But :

Reveal hidden contents

Figured I'd respond here.

They weren't making money from the land when the robberies went down, but you're probably right, I imagine if you tell a bank you want to buy land that's worth a few hundred plus per year in oil you could get a pretty sizable loan, but that's just one of those accept-the-premise kinds of things, just go with it that they can't get money any other way.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MattW said:

They weren't making money from the land when the robberies went down, but you're probably right, I imagine if you tell a bank you want to buy land that's worth a few hundred plus per year in oil you could get a pretty sizable loan, but that's just one of those accept-the-premise kinds of things, just go with it that they can't get money any other way.  

Yes I know that but we are talking about a what 4m to 9-10m land for just 41k.... 2 middle age able, very intelligent, motivated men in the US (that do seem to have the mean to buy lot of guns/car and other stuff to do their stunts).

I was going with it from what I remember (mostly because most of it is kept secret), but at the very end Bridge character himself explicitly verbalize how much their actions and plans made no sense at all considering their situation (one thing to be that wreckless with that fortune without any kids/people you care about but they seem to really care) and the movie seem to emphasize very much they never did it because they actually needed the money but for some grand gesture against the bank without wanting to pay any cost that by doing so they were jeopardizing the family future for getting a kick out of it.

But speaking of Sheridian movie I didn't get, maybe I missed even more the new Sicario than Hell of High Water....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2