cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

Only took a couple of secs of that D23 clip to remind myself why I love the first one so much and this seems like it'll just continue in that vein.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Are Judy and Nick still part of the police force? They don't seem to be wearing police uniforms in any materials for this movie...

Maybe they'll be more undercover or perhaps it'll be less of a focus and more them as detectives? I did wonder how a sequel would tackle the idea of police in a post George Floyd era. We saw how BB99 kinda had to address it.

• Like 1

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/ke-huy-quan-joins-cast-zootopia-2/

According to the official synopsis for the long-awaited sequel, Judy and Nick "find themselves on the twisting trail of a mysterious reptile who arrives in Zootopia and turns the mammal metropolis upside down."

The synopsis continues, "To crack the case, Judy and Nick must go undercover to unexpected new parts of town, where their growing partnership is tested like never before."

So yeah, they're still cops. With a "growing partnership" 🤔

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

And conveniently they have the Snake character. I suppose there's some misdirection or whatever present but still.

The world is very lived in so I'll always give it a pass compared to the likes of Frozen, Incredibles and Dory but WDA should have followed the old Pixar mantra - does the story need to be told?

Hopefully that answer will be yes next year.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

since when has that been a Pixar mantra?

Years ago, like 20 years at this point, interviews from that period, that's what the Brain Trust said.

I remember because I believed in the message lol. It was why no sequel was made besides TS2. Then they got bought by Disney and while Toy Story 3 was perfect, Cars 2 came next and the philosophy was basically trashed.

16 hours ago, AniNate said:

According to the official synopsis for the long-awaited sequel, Judy and Nick "find themselves on the twisting trail of a mysterious reptile who arrives in Zootopia and turns the mammal metropolis upside down."

The synopsis continues, "To crack the case, Judy and Nick must go undercover to unexpected new parts of town, where their growing partnership is tested like never before."

Yes, thow that fuel on the shipping fire... 🔥

Prediction, this will be fucking huge. Definitely second biggest movie of 2025 WW behind Avatar 3 (barring an insane breakout from Minecraft)

• $220M 5-day opening weekend
  • $640M DOM
  • $825M OS-China
  • $110M China
  • $1.575B WW

It's the same story as Inside Out 2. Sequel to beloved original around one decade later.

Just made me realize, Zootopia 2 + Avatar 3 O/U $4B would be an interesting club to make.

Edited by HummingLemon496

45 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Prediction, this will be fucking huge. Definitely second biggest movie of 2025 WW behind Avatar 3 (barring an insane breakout from Minecraft)

• $640M DOM
  • $825M OS-China
  • $110M China
  • $1.575B WW

It's the same story as Inside Out 2. Sequel to beloved original around one decade later.

Just made me realize, Zootopia 2 + Avatar 3 O/U $4B would be an interesting club to make.

Sounds reasonable. Hope it does well if it lives up to expectations.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

• $640M DOM
  • $825M OS-China
  • $110M China
  • $1.575B WW

Does Zootopia really have the same cultural impact as other huge Disney originals? I feel like they may have missed the boat on this one. I don't think Zootopia is anywhere near as beloved as Inside Out. Tho I acknowledge I don't have my finger on the pulse of what kids like.

I mean, I'm sure it will do fine. But those are some ridiculous numbers that only 2 animated films have ever reached. Increasing 50% on the first movie? I dont see it.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 10:28 AM, AniNate said:

They should have a growing partnership with me 🧐

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

People expecting this to make IO2 numbers domestically will be disappointed imo. IO2 type performances are very rare. $400m would be a better target.

I have a feeling that after Inside Out exploding, we are gonna see a lot of insane predictions and overblown expectations from every animated sequel...

Incredibles 3 and Shrek 5 over 2 billion... Frozen 3, 3 billion...

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

People expecting this to make IO2 numbers domestically will be disappointed imo. IO2 type performances are very rare. $400m would be a better target.

I think the bigger issue is that Avatar 3 will cut off some legs.

I think Zootopia 2 will be huge though. My floor is $500m DOM.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think the bigger issue is that Avatar 3 will cut off some legs.

I think Zootopia 2 will be huge though. My floor is $500m DOM.

I doubt it. There's room for many films to coexist over the Holidays. TROS didn't stop Frozen 2 from having good Holiday legs.

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

It has been doing pretty solid on streaming, not a top 10 mainstay like Moana but overall 19th for the year per flixpatrol. 

It actually was in the top 10 of some years compiled by Nielsen. I don't think Inside Out was ever in those lists.