MinaTakla

Monday #s: SS: $2.14m, SP: $1.86m, WD: $1.5m, KatTS: $1.08m, BH: $0.94m

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Let's be real, Star Trek Beyond is underperforming because the movie didn't sell itself as a a must-see cinematic event (nor it could given the movie's nature). 

STiD faced a similar problem, but it was lucky enough to be the one adding 3D and coming on the heels of the reboot.

I haven't seen STB yet (opens here next week), but it seems it just wasn't good enough. Competition was not abnormal and no movie (appealing to the same demo) since then has had particurlaly good wom. It should be having better drops if GA had really really liked it.

I'll be interested in hearing your views when you have seen it.

Bourne, targeting the same audience came out one week later, and by the time people had seen that, Star Trek was losing lots of theaters to Suicide Squad and Bourne still had its two week 'guarantee' run.  Nothing since Suicide Squad caused that big a drop in theaters as far as I can tell (well, Ben Hur, probably but that is on its own merits.)  The marketing for Star Trek sucked.  I am not pretending it is some kind of cultural landmark, but in a summer of really disappointing movies, imho it does not disappoint.  And it is visually great and would have benefited from IMAX it never got because of competition for the screens.  But let us know what you think when you have seen it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'll be interested in hearing your views when you have seen it.

Bourne, targeting the same audience came out one week later, and by the time people had seen that, Star Trek was losing lots of theaters to Suicide Squad and Bourne still had its two week 'guarantee' run.  Nothing since Suicide Squad caused that big a drop in theaters as far as I can tell (well, Ben Hur, probably but that is on its own merits.)  The marketing for Star Trek sucked.  I am not pretending it is some kind of cultural landmark, but in a summer of really disappointing movies, imho it does not disappoint.  And it is visually great and would have benefited from IMAX it never got because of competition for the screens.  But let us know what you think when you have seen it.

I think STB did have IMAX when it was released.  However, the Star Trek demo is older male and tends not to see movies in 3D, IMAX, DBOX, etc.  So it doesn't gain much advantage from those more expensive technologies.

17 minutes ago, KGator said:

I think STB did have IMAX when it was released.  However, the Star Trek demo is older male and tends not to see movies in 3D, IMAX, DBOX, etc.  So it doesn't gain much advantage from those more expensive technologies.

STB definitely didn't have IMAX near me (Los Angeles).  I tried to find it. Also, I'm not 'trekkie' from the old audience, I'm a new watcher since '09 who thought STID was meh-ish, and was glad this was better.  (I did think

Spoiler

Spock was a little bit out of character since his 'unusual for him emotional reactions' were so prevalent that if you watched that film in a vacuum I'm not sure you'd even know he habitually stuffs his emotions down and refuses to react to them.')

but it was still a fun movie in all of its acts and the last third was terrific.  IMHO. 

Edited by trifle

43 minutes ago, trifle said:

STB definitely didn't have IMAX near me (Los Angeles).  I tried to find it. Also, I'm not 'trekkie' from the old audience, I'm a new watcher since '09 who thought STID was meh-ish, and was glad this was better.  (I did think

Reveal hidden contents

but it was still a fun movie in all of its acts and the last third was terrific.  IMHO. 

I haven't watched STB but glad that you liked it cause am also a new trekkie. Loved ST and thought STID was average. Looking forward to STB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trifle said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with your "hidden" comment.  I thought the same thing.

• Like 1