MinaTakla

Monday #s: SS: $2.14m, SP: $1.86m, WD: $1.5m, KatTS: $1.08m, BH: $0.94m

17 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Considering BVS didn't do that either after a 166 ow, SS was gonna fall short in all probability.

If anything I take this time to appreciate the mad run of GOTG.

It was a DEADPOOL like story. At least I had GOTG under 150 (before tracking and all that) :lol:

SS coming within 20 of BVS is a huge win. Took over-performance from SS and under-performance from BVS but sometimes the inevitable happens.

What if the numbers were just a tad bit skewed and SS had over-taken it? That would have made this year's bo perfect in it's insanity, adding to surprises from ZOOTP, TJB, DP, DORY, SLOP.

I only believed that Guardians would breakout as hard as it did after actually watching the film. And even though, I was still surprised by it's insane opening weekend at time. Very curious how they'll market Vol. 2 and I hope that it's as brilliant as the first one. 

I disagree. To me Watchmen is the only Snyder film really worth watching because he adapted the source material so closely and the only thing he really changed was the "faux alien invasion" subplot, which really just made for a more streamlined movie. Snyder is only good when painting by numbers. Give him any artistic leeway and he'll screw it up.

Watchmen the movie was simplified compared to the source material but that is to be expected, it's a movie and not a graphic novel. I'm a huge fan of the comic - it's the best one I've ever read - but if I am to judge Watchmen as a comic book movie in its own regard, it's a five. No other comic book movie even comes close.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ecstasy said:

Bourne and IA5 are both opening in China today.  Curious to see how they do.  Bourne Legacy was destined for a less than decent run until China came through. We'll see if the same holds for Jason Bourne.

IA5 is going to beat Domestic and IA4 China($65m) $70-80m

JB could be 80-100m based on OD, but early WoM not to good, could come in much lower if the dailes crash

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

I'm impressed with that huge drop ( domestic and overseas numbers ) for Ice Age 5.

This one will fail to make less than half of what the previous one did. I still have to watch it, but what happened? Is this movie different if compared to the previous flicks? Is it more of the same? So, is Ice Age 5 the "X-Men Apocalypse" of the Ice Age series?  Apocalypse is probably the movie with the lowest domestic numbers ( even less than the first movie ) and Ice Age 5 seems to be following the same path...

4 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

YES! And I have happily contribuited for that. Hopefully this will ignite some serious changes in the chain of command at Marvel Comics. But at this point I think that it will take Kevin Feige to descend from the Marvel Studios heavens to fix that mess.

The book? HELL YES. The film? It's great, but as much flawed as Squad, and I'd argue that it's actually even more so. Why? Snyder showed there that he didn't get it. I've defended that film time and time again, but in retrospect and after MoS and BvS, somehow Snyder made that film fall for me from a solid 4.5/5 to 3.5/5. Some amazing imagery, some clever use of superhero movies iconography, but he doesn't understand what Watchmen is about. Regardless, I still had fun with that film, even though I insist that isn't the definitive version of them and that Watchmen could use a real great Netflix or HBO adaptation, with NO involvement of Snyder whatsoever. 

I call bullshit. Suddenly, after Snyder releases to lambasted films, that's when you reverse your opinion of Watchmen. Oh, please. It's obvious that you're a bandwagon rider. By on means, stay onboard, mate. 

Let's be real, Star Trek Beyond is underperforming because the movie didn't sell itself as a a must-see cinematic event (nor it could given the movie's nature). 

STiD faced a similar problem, but it was lucky enough to be the one adding 3D and coming on the heels of the reboot.

I haven't seen STB yet (opens here next week), but it seems it just wasn't good enough. Competition was not abnormal and no movie (appealing to the same demo) since then has had particurlaly good wom. It should be having better drops if GA had really really liked it.

Edited by Goffe

24 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Let's be real, Star Trek Beyond is underperforming because the movie didn't sell itself as a a must-see cinematic event (nor it could given the movie's nature). 

STiD faced a similar problem, but it was lucky enough to be the one adding 3D and coming on the heels of the reboot.

I haven't seen STB yet (opens here next week), but it seems it just wasn't good enough. How one would explain the just ok drops? the competition wasn't anything abnormal and no movie (appeaing to the same demo) since then has had good wom.

It had 2 big drops. One after ow and then against SS. It did badly in 2nd and 3rd weekends for sure.

But 160 will still give it 2.70x multiplier which for a sequel is good in comparison this year.

Bourne multi will be better at around 2.78x with 165 after a similar OW of 59.2

Edited by a2knet