MinaTakla

Monday #s: SS: $2.14m, SP: $1.86m, WD: $1.5m, KatTS: $1.08m, BH: $0.94m

Yeah the week over week drops are going to be brutal the next couple of weeks as more schools go into session (hence why Petes Dragon can drop less than 50% on the weekend and nearly 60% Monday to Monday)

Overall though for the Monday two weeks before LD it's not too bad pretty normal.

• Like 1

Kubo is behaving at pretty much textbook Laika - mid-$10mil opening followed by a steep drop down to ~$1mil on the first Monday.

Corpse Bride (2005) - Really more of a contract job for them.

$19,656,451 OW, $1,022,366 MON (-79.3%)

Coraline (2009)

$16,849,640 OW, $1,078,385 MON (-79.3%)

ParaNorman (2012)

$14,087,050 OW, $1,455,868 MON (-64.1%)

Box Trolls (2014)

$17,275,239 OW, $733,441 MON (-85%)

Kubo (2016)

$12,608,372 OW, $1,077,095 MON (-71%)

Laika does love that $1mil figure for the first Monday. Final grosses are all really similar as well, with ~$55mil domestic and ~$110mil worldwide on a $60mil budget for each of their films. They have a fairly steady audience and history of performance, though Kubo opened up on the lower side of numbers that I would have liked.

Fortunately, Laika is a unique company that's not really beholden to box office performance. It's owned by Nike owner Phil Knight and operated by his son Travis, who release films more as passion projects than for revenue sources. Thankfully for fellow fans of their work, it's inevitable that more of these films will be released.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Well my theatre is getting rid of Kubo after only 1 week of play. The movie is doing so extremely poorly (7.3M opening weekend here) that we aren't even going to keep it for the two weeks we were supposed to.

Looks like his fate was already sealed here. His fate was bye bye.

:sadben:

1 hour ago, ecstasy said:

:lol:

This is just awesome. 2 of the 3 are my faves.  Good Lord what poor performances.  Not into Trek really anymore but they used to have a good sized fan base. What happened?

Paramount took a piss on it.

2 hours ago, ecstasy said:

:lol:

This is just awesome. 2 of the 3 are my faves.  Good Lord what poor performances.  Not into Trek really anymore but they used to have a good sized fan base. What happened?

Star Trek has rarely gotten really big films BO-wise. Let's just say Beyond failed to reach the mainstream audience.

The film is very good, though and I expect them to keep the creative core moving forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ecstasy said:

elaborate please?

Terrible first trailer, too much time for a second decent one, late Rhianna song tie in announcement, lack of promotion and tie in to the 50th Anniversary of ST and poor scheduling - moving it right in front of Bourne which shares a lot of the same target audience.  They planned terribly for it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

elaborate please?

It's a fanbase that's been eroded through two utterly underwhelming television shows and through a reboot with a helmsman who openly stated he preferred Star Wars to Star Trek and that he "was never a Trek fan." The hardcore Star Trek fans were people who enjoyed science fiction, cerebral storytelling, morality tales and character drama; not space opera. Now you can say "well those were hardly the mass audience" but those people were the ones who kept supporting it tooth and nail and generated a lot of positive buzz. Playing to that crowd helped keep Star Trek special.

Paramount right now looks like a studio embarrassed to be making Star Trek. They even dropped the "Star Trek" prefix from their show Enterprise and only put it in again after two seasons and realizing "hey, maybe pissing off all our loyal fans isn't the way to go."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The47th said:

Star Trek has rarely gotten really big films BO-wise. Let's just say Beyond failed to reach the mainstream audience.

The film is very good, though and I expect them to keep the creative core moving forward.

I know overseas was always a bust. But they did manage to get the last two over $200m.

7 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

It's a fanbase that's been eroded through two utterly underwhelming television shows and through a reboot with a helmsman who openly stated he preferred Star Wars to Star Trek and that he "was never a Trek fan." The hardcore Star Trek fans were people who enjoyed science fiction, cerebral storytelling, morality tales and character drama; not space opera. Now you can say "well those were hardly the mass audience" but those people were the ones who kept supporting it tooth and nail and generated a lot of positive buzz. Playing to that crowd helped keep Star Trek special.

Paramount right now looks like a studio embarrassed to be making Star Trek. They even dropped the "Star Trek" prefix from their show Enterprise and only put it in again after two seasons and realizing "hey, maybe pissing off all our loyal fans isn't the way to go."

Like the 47th said not huge fanbase. But I knew it was a loyal and devoted fan base.

Thanks for the details.

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Ecstasy, you should join our prayer circle.

It's the only thing that gets me through the day.

LOL Mr. Pink. I'll save my prayers for more pressing things, like Peace on earth and an end to world hunger.  :lol: Can't say how many times I've been disappointed this year starting with those goddamn Warriors. You just have to be brave and fight through it.  Be grateful for the good things in your life. In your case, that would be Christopher Nolan and Dunkirk. :lol:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Ecstasy, you should join our prayer circle.

It's the only thing that gets me through the day.

MAN THE PORTUGUESE PARAMOUNT FACEBOOK PAGE IS DESPERATE. Today they posted a Lin picture saying Are you ready for Justin Lin's new masterpiece? Beyond in theaters Thursday!. And I was like WHAT :rofl: 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

MAN THE PORTUGUESE PARAMOUNT FACEBOOK PAGE IS DESPERATE. Today they posted a Lin picture saying Are you ready for Justin Lin's new masterpiece? Beyond in theaters Thursday!. And I was like WHAT :rofl: 

At least Portugal's aware about the awesomeness of Lin da Gawd.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

LIN DA GOD.

PORTUGAL WILL EXPERIENCE LINSANITY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Bourne is beating Trek domestically and worldwide. Both could have done better with better release dates and in Trek's case, better marketing 

Both had shit marketing.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Paramount is reading the forums :ohmygod: