Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

36. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)

Poltergeist is a fantastic collaboration from Steven Spielberg and Tobe Hooper, with wonderful effects, a fantastic score, great suspense, and just a tightly executed film.  Poltergeist II has almost none of that.  It retracts a lot of the plot of the more simple first film, adding cults, weird angels, and native american magic. The acting is a big step down, and Zelda Rubinstein begins the parody of her once famous role. The effects don't hold up despite costing twice the first.  Hell even the third equally bad film opted for practical effects that hold up much better.  Granted Julian Beck is one creepy guy (who died during filming) and there is one sequence involving Craig T Nelson throwing up an entire human demon that does in fact continue to be effective, but overall, this sequel and the other are bad horror knockoffs, where as the first was a good film first, and a great horror film second. Now they are just known for the crazy behind the scenes deaths that have occurred around all three films.

Best Scene: This film finally explains why you should never swallow the worm at the bottom of a tequila bottle.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, RandomJC said:

It was boring as sin. 

I'd argue that's one of the best DTV sequels ever made. 3 is better than it has any right to be, but it was obviously setting up the TV Series. 4 is very weak, and extremely boring.  5 was slightly better.

Here's hoping Bacon comes back like he has been hinting.  They just got too cheap.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

492m and 213m (adjusted), that's why. :lol: 

You can see it with the F&F films.  People love likable casts and car stunts.  They Should totally remake Cannonball Run.  I love the trailer.  You can definitely see Ron Burgundy and Taladega Nights being based on Burt's popular films. I mean the man was I think the #box office draw from 1977-82  If you had crazy stunts like this today with huge stars, it could definitely open over 100 million.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

They made 3 Smokey and the Bandit movies? Why?

2 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

492m and 213m (adjusted), that's why. :lol: 

"They made eight Fast and Furious movies" would have worked just as well as an answer. :ph34r:

===

I think people forget the type of movies that were popular in the span from the very late 60s to the very early 80s (call it The Seventies for simplicity).  Hell, they made FOUR Herbie the Love Bug movies in that span.  

If that doesn't convince you, FOUR  Benji movies were also made in that time span (anyone who has a bad word to say about them, BTW, can fight my childhood, thankyewveddymuch).

This is also the era that gave us the wonders of John Denver (and anyone who has a bad word to say about him can ALSO fight my childhood :angry:).

Sure, the Seventies gave us The Godfather, Jaws, and Star Wars.  And, sure again, it gave us things like Watergate-era thrillers and Blaxploitation (to name two disparate genres).  But it ALSO gave us films like the ones first mentioned.  And we liked it.  That's the crazy thing. ;)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Thegun said:

You can see it with the F&F films.  People love likable casts and car stunts.  They Should totally remake Cannonball Run.

Oh man, I've been saying that for years. Get McConaughey as the lead. Then build in as many cameos and stars as you can. Chris Pine would do it. Get Bradley Cooper if you can. Chris Pratt & Anna Faris, Brad Pitt. Brooklyn Decker, Mila Kunis. Statham for the overseas crowd. Get Reynolds to cameo, and give it to a director who wants to crash a bunch of cars for real.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Thegun said:

I'd argue that's one of the best DTV sequels ever made. 3 is better than it has any right to be, but it was obviously setting up the TV Series. 4 is very weak, and extremely boring.  5 was slightly better.

Here's hoping Bacon comes back like he has been hinting.  They just got too cheap.

The biggest problem was the move from practical to digital. 3 is perhaps my favorite of the sequels, if only for some decent in jokes. I like 4 for being different and some great moments. 5 isn't that bad, but you can tell they had only a 100 bucks to make the movie, it's ideas were actually pretty interesting with the genetic variations on the Graboids, and the Jamie Kennedy twist was pretty obvious. 3 to 5 also stopped taking them seriously as horror/monster movies, so it's hard for me to judge them on the same level, I just had fun with them. 2 tried to be serious like the first, and it just was boring. 

My biggest problems with Aftershocks were, Grady is one of the most annoying characters in the series, and all the characters that could die, either died off screen or no time was spent for me to care. I cared more about Nestor dying in Tremors than anyone in 2. And nothing was as horrifying or Heartbreaking as Chang's death. 

Edited by RandomJC

Well 2 was planned as a theatrical film with Bacon as the lead, but he turned it down after getting Apollo 13. Then they reworked it, and cut the budget big time. And it worked because it still feels theatrical.  The rest are TV movies that are overall solid, but they had very little to work with. I think the seriousness mixed with the fun worked the best. Also the twist with the Shriekers was a lot of fun.  And Burt was fantastic in the movie. 4 just is way too slow, and I think only 2 people die in it.

I love the series overall though.  The first obviously has all the best elements of all the sequels, but they creators still kept them, fun lite, and overall creative.  Much like the Phantasm series.  

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
24 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

Oh man, I've been saying that for years. Get McConaughey as the lead. Then build in as many cameos and stars as you can. Chris Pine would do it. Get Bradley Cooper if you can. Chris Pratt & Anna Faris, Brad Pitt. Brooklyn Decker, Mila Kunis. Statham for the overseas crowd. Get Reynolds to cameo, and give it to a director who wants to crash a bunch of cars for real.

Christopher Nolan?

• Like 1

I'd love to see a more serious Tremors film, don't get me wrong. 

My biggest memories of two are long stretches of nothing but bad banter between Earl and Grady, and the awesomeness of Burt. Also a playboy bunny. It just never worked, and it probably never will, sadly. Though, it should be said I don't think I've tried watching it since I first saw it, and had such a bad reaction to it. It might play better now. Tremors is a movie that I literally grew up on. All of the movies are so skewed high up in my head. 2 is just the weakest at a 9. :ph34r:

35. The Matrix Reloaded (2003)

Man oh man.  15 films in, and this one should obviously not surprise anyone.  Hey it has a nice car chase (Which I always preferred T3s over) But it also has an awful plot that negates the original film's ending.  Neo should be fighting like the guy at the end of Kung Fu Hustle.  A stupid line reading of "Upgrades" ruins that.  Add in bad CGI, an uninteresting plot that I'm sure was explained in the next film.  The first film is an achievement of cinema that changed the face of most action/ sci fi films of the last 20 years.  I remember getting my mom to buy 13 tickets for my friends at our first preview screening.  The marketing was undeniably amazing.  It might have been the most hyped film of all time since The Phantom Menace. This is a major letdown that involves Werwolves, queefing, and god knows what else the Wachowskis could throw at it.  The non Matrix sequences are the cheap kind of cliched drivel you'd get in any low rent tv movie, filled with boring new characters.  If this was my personal list, this would be much much lower. Mr. Smith is back and adds a little flair to it. But even his role is already on the self parody route. Oh and the Architect.  To this day, I have no fucking idea what is happening in the final 20 minutes of this movie.  And the twist is not good, almost everyone predicted that twist before the film even came out.

Best Scene: This parody

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 7

Totally rewatch Tremors II.  Whoever was the Grady substitute in III and Jamie Kennedy are not any better.  And turning Burt into a wuss in part 4 takes almost all of the fun out of it.

Edited by Thegun

6 minutes ago, Thegun said:

How would you compare it to the first though?

The first is better, sure. I'd never argue otherwise. But I think RELOADED's a worthy sequel that really opened up its universe in interesting (and fun) ways. It pushes its characters towards revelations or information that directly confronts their core beliefs. It has two of the best action sequences of the year (one is goofy and ultimately pointless but still, to this day, incredibly fun). It has Hugo Weaving chewing scenery in spades. 

REVOLUTIONS was a big letdown, especially at the time, though I think it's probably somewhat underrated now compared to many blockbusters today. For better or worse, the Wachowskis swung for the fences with it. They missed, but at least they swung.

• Like 3