Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

46 minutes ago, Thegun said:

The Mcguffin is Neo.  No one is searching for batteries at all in the film film.  Everyone (Morpheus, the machines, even Neo himself) they are all searching for the one.

Yes, the McGuffin is the search for the one. I just took baumer's comment to mean that the human battery is a conceit you have to accept.

3 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

This is what irks me about a lot of nit picking. Any film (or novel or comic or tv show or whatever) only has a limited amount of real estate to get the point across. If you're trying to do everything to make sure you're ironclad against the nitpicks, you're probably not getting to the point in any good way, either. So you need to choose what's important enough to spend the time on.

YGJBp5EgyVP9K.gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thegun said:

33. Escape From LA (1996)

Dam, this one is on here as a half-hearted choice.  It's been 20 years, and this movie like many Carpenter films are starting to get its fans  (Getting closer to fresh on RT, perhaps another 10 years, and this will continue to develop a legitimate following.)  I do like this movie, but that's because I like anything Kurt and Carpenter.  Just everything is completely frustrating about this film.  Is it a bad remake of the far superior Escape from NY?  If that is the case, it is pretty awful and such a missed opportunity. Is it a parody/ remake of Escape from NY that is in on the joke? Possible, but this needed a much better script, and more support to make it work.  It's far too serious at times and the cheesiness doesn't mesh with it.  The budget is huge and and you have Kurt Russell playing mother fucking Snake and still rocks the role.  Obviously the 15-20 million of the film's 50 million budget went to him.  Are the, at times, atrocious effects intentional or just Carpenter not knowing how to work on a big scale.  It has a great cast that range from cheesy to plain awful. And Poor Pam Grier, thankfully she got Jackie Brown soon after, and works for maybe the first third of the film.  It has torture by treadmill and execution by lack of basketball skills for God sake.  It has a plastic surgeon gang.  It has the worst surfing scene of all time.  You guys that think Reloaded has interesting concepts, check out Escape From LA.  This film is saying quite a bit, but gets lost in its trash.  Though this film is much much better any day. Because let's face it, Snake is Snake.  You don't want to punch him in the face like every actor in Reloaded.  There were so many sequels you could have done, and you do this.  Hell, if we show Snake traveling down south and takes up the identity of Captain Ron. Now you have something!

Best Scene:  Kurt makes a full court shot.  (They say it was real, that is bad ass)

I'm sad that I agree with this. Still amusing and fun on its own level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

The real issue with the Matrix is procreation. If humans are linked up to the machine, how do they make babies and thus new human batteries or whatnot? Is this explained and I just forgot or the plot hole everybody ignores?

They are grown not born. Morphious says it during the scene where he's first revealing to Neo what the Matrix is. 

3 hours ago, Thegun said:

32. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Yuck.  Follow up your supposed solid final entry with a possible reboot/continuation and this is what you get.  If you watch the trailer here then you've seen all of Corey Feldman's role, easily the most interesting of the series outside of Jason.  He cameo's his way out of the opening on his way to Goonies.  First and foremost the acting is awful.  And it tries to go back to the roots bringing more of POV style killings of the original, and after 2-4 made the series killings iconic at times and Jason came into real menace, these are just cheap.  There's not a single character to root for outside of Jason, and spoiler alert, he isn't in it.  The killer's motivation in this movie is weak.  It's not fun.  This is hands down the one you never have to see.  Well, there are a couple, but they at least awfully hilarious with the way the films try new things.

Vehemently disagree with this one.  Part V is actually pretty close to excellent.  There's a kill every 6 or 7 minutes, theres hot chicks and nudity and there's some really fun characters .  I agree that Roy being the killer is not good, but once you get passed that, you have a really good horror film.  It's not quite as good as 2-3-4 but imo, it's better than 1 and miles better than the other 5 films in the series.  Saying it isn't fun isn't fair either.  I realize I'm a pretty big Friday fan so my view of this film might be viewed as biased but I can watch this one over and over again and never get bored.  Plus you have one of the best and funnies mother and son duos in film history.  Junior getting his head chopped off with a butcher's knife is awesome.  Friday 5 is pretty awesome imo.

• Like 1

Well I knew you would probably feel that way.  But no way is this better than 6 (Maybe you hate it for its meta humor)  I can agree that 5 tries some better ideas then 7-X but it's just way too boring, the killer is weak, and it follows the best the of the series. 2,3,4,6 are the only ones that are solid horror films.  I can at least laugh at the later ones.

Six is the last of the Friday's that feels like the original in some way.  But it's too tame to be a Friday the 13th film and the director even says in the commentary that he tried to tone it down a bit.  There's no blood, no nudity and no swearing.  An episode of the Walking Dead has more blood and curse words.  And because of that the film suffers, imo.  I like 6, but its way below 5 imo.

31. Robocop 3 (1993)

I'm not even sure I can do a write up on this. 2 already dropped the ball quite a bit from Verhoeven's classic original. It was dark, it was funny, it was violent, and managed to tell a lot about the cultural climate.  Part 2 was stupid but still had some remnants of that and a couple of jokes, and good to decent action scenes.  Robocop himself sat on the sidelines a little too long, and a lot of stupid went in there.  This went into production immediately after that film was a success but then sat on the shelf, joining such gems like Clifford as Orion's final films were being bought.  It's just awful.  Peter Weller is sorely missed, and his replacement is completely weak. It's futuristic society is insanely bad with a new type of Gestapo-esque villains.  Hey but for anyone that ever wanted to see him fight a robotic ninja in an awkward action sequence, here you go.  This is a thud on arrival.

• Like 8

30. Jaws: The Revenge (1987)

What? How did Jaws the Revenge not make it under 30?  Trust me, you'll see when we get there.  This movie is so fucking ridiculous from start to finish.  Baumer actually already summarized my feelings.  This film has just become legendary.  But I'm still not sure it is the worst sequel even in the franchise. From dinosaur roars, to human/shark revenge.  From Mario Van Peebles to Drug dealer Michael Caine's romance to Mrs. Brody (He is famous for missing the oscar he won because he was filming this)  This series had gotten so screwed by this film that it's actually hard to really get mad at.  You just kind of scratch your head how you can go from the first film to this one in 4 films.  How could there have been four years worth of meetings about this movie?  That this is the very best they could come up with? Oh and the Shark looks so fake here.  The only really good thing you can say outside of a great drinking game, is this effectively killed the series.  What's actually hilarious though is this still was in fact a hit, it's WW gross would adjust to about 100 million today.  Audiences hated this ending so much that they reedited it where after she rams the shark it spontaneously combusts, and Mario Van Peebles lives. Make no mistakes, you can argue Jaws 4 is the worst sequel ever made. These next 29 though also have their arguments. Jaws 4 does however at least take bad to an art form. You could actually watch this many times, or even take a class on it.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Part V is actually pretty close to excellent.  There's a kill every 6 or 7 minutes, theres hot chicks and nudity and there's some really fun characters .  

That sounds like something a teenage boy would say :lol: 

• Like 3

I enjoy Escape From LA, but I'll admit I don't think it's a particularly good movie.

Robocop 3 is underwhelming, but there are elements of it I like. It just feels so toned down. Best thing about it is the score (Poledouris came back to do this one).

Jaws The Revenge is just plain bad. The only thing I can say that's nice about it is the music. It's not even it's so bad it's good, Jaws 3D is way more of a bad film that's fun to watch.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

I distinctly remember enjoying Robocop 3 when I saw it back in the day.  Probably more than 2. :ph34r:

Haven't seen it in 20 years though, so who knows what I'd think of it now.

Edited by Porthos

29. Mission Impossible II (2000)

Forget everything that came before.  The first Mission Impossible is a brilliantly directed film by Brian DePalma.  You can take your Phantom Menaces, Reloadeds, even Crystal Skulls, but this is just such a shockingly awkward film, and a huge letdown  Fortunately they took a different approach more towards the show with the next three films.  I swear watch this movie again, and 70% of this movie is awful slow motion with people staring at other people.  This film is trying desperately to turn it into a Bond film, and quite frankly it gives Die Another Day a run for it's money for how absurd it is.  The whole film is an awkward love story that is completely ignored later, and Tom Cruise is his most unconvincing in quite some time.  The action by John Woo just does not work with this film. This is easily the least impossible missions to boot.  They need to copy a camera card, fake a dream, and thats it.  Then there is a 10 minute action finale.  Luckily the first was a highly regarded that this unfortunately joins many horrible sequels that did much better.  The series was able to reevaluate and while Rogue Nation is just a best hits kind of film, this film is strongly forgotten for the better.

• Like 10

F13: A New Beginning is pretty awful. Hard to believe that movie has stans.

Don't remember much from RoboCop 3 (other than him having a jet pack). I do remember RoboCop 2 being hilariously bad though, especially coming off the masterpiece that is RoboCop. That one would definitely make my list.

Don't remember much from Jaws 4 and Escape from L.A. either. Maybe it's a good thing that my brain gets rid of memories it deems unnecessary. Or maybe it's just early signs of Alzheimer's.

I rewatched Exorcist 2: The Heretic a while back, after reading that Scorsese had said it wasn't that bad, but Marty is wrong on that one. It's abysmal and worthy of being on this here list.

MI2 sucks and is easily the worst in the series.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

That sounds like something a teenage boy would say :lol: 

I am a teenage boy. I might be in my 40s now but I'll always be a teenager.

• Like 3