Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

I've personally seen slightly more ads for this on TV than I did for Nutcracker at least...though that's probably an unfortunate comparison to make.:)

mortal-engines-tops-studios-tv-ad-spendi‘Mortal Engines’ Tops Studios’ TV Ad Spending

Ads placed for the sci-fi film had an estimated media value of $6.9 million through Sunday for 712 national ad airings on 33 networks. (Spend figures are based on estimates generated from Nov. 19-25. Estimates may be updated after the chart is posted as new information becomes available.) Universal prioritized spend across networks including NBC, Fox and AMC, and during programming such as NFL Football, “The Walking Dead” and College Football.

Notably, “Mortal Engines” has the best iSpot Attention Index (107) in the ranking, getting 7% fewer interruptions than the average movie ad (interruptions include changing the channel, pulling up the guide, fast-forwarding or turning off the TV).

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, skunk said:

if this does not match the excellent reviews of Spidey-Verse, 

30M OW might be difficult for this Peter Jackson vehicle.

30M OW is not happening with Spiderverse poised to draw the same audience. And that one is already selling plus early tracking has it between 35-40M OW so it'll likely go higher. There won't be 50M and 30M openers, more likely 50M and 15M. 

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Too bad people would rather watch the nth Spiderman adaptation instead of something new...

it happens that Nth Spiderman adaptation offers something new - never-seen before type of animation, new Spiderman, characters from Spiderverse never used in movies (Noir, Ham, Peni)

also, ME isn't even faithful to the source. They took the concept from the surface and turned the story that's pretty fucked up considering its psycho monster heroine into a standard YA romance with some action and blandly pretty heroine (sporting beautifying scar to make her appealingly edgy). it deserves to get run over by Spiderverse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it happens that Nth Spiderman adaptation offers something new - never-seen before type of animation, new Spiderman, characters from Spiderverse never used in movies (Noir, Ham, Peni)

also, ME isn't even faithful to the source. They took the concept from the surface and turned the story that's pretty fucked up considering its psycho monster heroine into a standard YA romance with some action and blandly pretty heroine (sporting beautifying scar to make her appealingly edgy). it deserves to get run over by Spiderverse.

Let's shit on a movie you have no idea how it's gonna turn out because they changed some stuff in an adaptation (duh).

sigh...

Also, never before seen animation my ass. Sure, details differ, my point stands, it's yet another Spiderman.

You are salty cause it's another Jackson production that is getting meh response. hey, I wished he made LOTR-level or Heavenly Creatures-level movies post-LOTR but he went full Lucas so I have no control over that. 

ME looks awful and if they had confidence, they would have screened it like Sony did Spiderverse and lift embargo. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This, in that franchise heavy world, new proposition can take many forms, including rarely seen on a wide release aesthetic choice (Avatar was a new proposition despite the common story structure and narrative), same for Black Panther.

And people will respond to that, classic take in a not much seen before way.

Despite Mortal Engines not much seen if ever seen before twist on the young adult affair of having cities eating other cities, that proposition do sound a bit silly and seem to be reheated 1998-2012 book stuff, that survived is movie adaptation unlike most because of the powerful people involving in the movie (like for RPO)

Edited by Barnack

35 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Despite Mortal Engines not much seen if ever seen before twist on the young adult affair of having cities eating other cities, that proposition do sound a bit silly and seem to be reheated 1998-2012 book stuff, that survived is movie adaptation unlike most because of the powerful people involving in the movie (like for RPO)

In an age where comic book movies dominate it would be hypocritical to talk about silly.

It's really irrelevant where the source is from. I doubt anyone will look at this and say "ugh, book stuff", if nothing else because the majority is ignorant to the fact.

Edited by Elessar

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

In an age where comic book movies dominate it would be hypocritical to talk about silly...

Oh it is, but that do sound factual, looking at result for many adult they are not silly (while eating cities with teenagers in leadership positions).

A bit like the statement about animated movie spider man box office potential: for many superheroes fans animated movie are for kids.

That sound absolutely crazy that someone still watching super heroes stuff would think that, that does not mean it is false.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Millions of people around world saw LOTR Trilogy in cinemas because it was new and original.

P.S : Rumor has it the LOTR books were the second most read books after the Bible in the 7O's, maybe that helped, who knows ?

50%+ more of your message sound like your are mocking positions no one in the world ever had.

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Oh it is, but that do sound factual, looking at result for many adult they are not silly (while eating cities with teenagers in leadership positions).

So for Spiderman it's okay to be young but not for others? There's a couple other examples i can think of.

I will be the first to call bullshit on "kids saving the world" (Narnia comes to mind - another success) but the protagonists here are neither kids nor teenagers (i'm talking about the film, not the books).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

So for Spiderman it's okay to be young but not for others? There's a couple other examples i can think of.

He tend to have no leadership at all with and no one in the movies take him seriously that work, issues seem more to arise when young male are put in leadership role (Solo, Valerian, etc...)

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

but the protagonists here are neither kids nor teenagers (i'm talking about the film, not the books).

Young adults then (I thought they were teens played by adults)

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

He tend to have no leadership at all with and no one in the movies take him seriously that work, issues seem more to arise when young male are put in leadership role (Solo, Valerian, etc...)

Judging from trailers it doesn't strike me so much as them having a leadership role. It seemingly starts off as a simple revenge story and them trying to survive in the aftermath, then they get involved in some bigger dealings but they are always being told, not the other way round.

You are at least trying to find some logic behind the fickle nature of the (braindead) mass audience, even if i may disagree.

Edited by Elessar

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Judging from trailers it doesn't strike me so much as them having a leadership role. It seemingly starts off as a simple revenge story and them trying to survive in the aftermath, then they get involved in some bigger dealings but they are always being told, not the other way round.

You are at least trying to find some logic behind the fickle nature of the (braindead) mass audience, even if i may disagree.

Something tells my you are pissed that the Spideyverse movie is going to clean the clock of Mortal Engines at the box office.

I jumped off the Jackson bandwagon with "King Kong"a nd have no regrets. PJ's work  post LOTR has been disappointing.

And the braindead mass audience comment is good evidence of a intellectual snob at work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Lack of promotional efforts probably doesn't mean the film's bad, they just have no faith in its ability to turn a profit.

THIS.

It's a matter of business;even if the people who run the studio think a movie is really good, they will not spend a lot promoting it if they think it chances at the box office ae not good.

Fact is, if you run a studio yo uhave to be able to put aside your own personal tastes and evaluated movies strictly on their box office potential.