Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

They're smart to highlight the female character as a definite protagonist. For a long time, I was unsure if she was the main character or not, because Robert Sheehan's character had a lot of presence in the last trailer. But this definitely makes a big statement that Hester Shaw is the film's emotional centerpiece. People say the first Pacific Rim would've been better if Rinko Kikuchi's character was the emotional centerpiece instead of Charlie Hunnam's character, so it's interesting to see that this film isn't making the same potential mistake.

And in the age where people are up in arms, desperate for female representation, this trailer highlighting Hester Shaw the way it is certainly can't do anything to hurt the film' box office. It's one of those things that can only help in the long run.

Edited by Slambros

IGN - PETER JACKSON'S MORTAL ENGINES LOOKS KIND OF AMAZING

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/05/peter-jacksons-mortal-engines-looks-kind-of-amazing

Spoiler

The panel opened with that first 25 minutes of footage, which was pretty stunning. Immediately we’re thrown into the scene of one giant moving city -- London -- pursuing a smaller, town-like place, with the latter rolling along in a high-speed chase that sounds like the most unlikely of circumstances but actually plays as a gripping chase scene.

On the bridge of London, Hugo Weaving (as Thaddeus Valentine) oversees the pursuit over their overmatched soon-to-be victim town. The chase culminates with grinding wheels on the victim town falling apart, and giant harpoons being launched at the town, and it being “ingested” by London.

Within London we meet Tom Natsworthy (Sheehan) and Katherine Valentine (George), who discuss the “60-Second War” of the distant past that almost wiped out mankind. But soon, Hester Shaw (Hilmar), a resident of the town that was just ingested, attacks Thaddeus and flees. Another chase follows as Natsworthy and Shaw find themselves amid her old town as it is essentially consumed by the larger city in a humongous factor of sorts. It all culminates in the pair, perhaps inevitably, literally falling together into the same dire circumstances that will no doubt result in the two having to work together for the greater good in order to avoid a potentially cataclysmic event.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Slambros said:

And in the age where people are up in arms, desperate for female representation, this trailer highlighting Hester Shaw the way it is certainly can't do anything to hurt the film' box office. It's one of those things that can only help in the long run.

Not when there are female-led movies people actually want to see - Mary Poppins and Bumblebee. Mortal Engines isn't unique in having a female lead this holiday at all plus all those other movies look way better and already have built-in audience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not when there are female-led movies people actually want to see - Mary Poppins and Bumblebee. Mortal Engines isn't unique in having a female lead this holiday at all plus all those other movies look way better and already have built-in audience.

I mean, Mortal Engines is unique in that the female lead is an action heroine. Mary Poppins takes a non-violent approach to her heroism (which absolutely isn't a bad thing at all, as her struggle doesn't require that), and Hailee Steinfeld's character in Bumblebee, while developing a bond with the titular robot, is, in all likelihood, protected by the titular robot throughout the film (which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing). All in all, if people want a film with an action heroine, Hester Shaw is their gal, just like Katniss Everdeen was, and just like Rey and Jyn Erso were.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

Mortal Engines story isn't accessible to GA and it won't fly high with book fans cause it's already sanitized. Book Hester is hideous and there's an actual plot point for it cause her split skull creates her mental instability and fits or murderous rage. It's incurable so she's a constant liability to the friendlies and that actually plays a big role in this installment and sequels. This chick is Kylo Ren/Jon Snow, a strategically placed scar meant to prettify, not to intimidate. fans are very peculiar about these things so they won't like it. 

moreover, actors are just bland. They are Cara/DeHaan level. Cara was an action heroine too and the movie looked stunning, and absolutely nobody cared.  And it isn't like the season is low on action heroines. SpiderGwen and Penny, Meera, Queen Nicole Kidman, Hailee Steinfeld do action in much more appealing movies. 

I don't know why this was such a pet project of Jackson but yeah, there's no interest. IGN shills for anything anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't know why this was such a pet project of Jackson but yeah, there's no interest. IGN shills for anything anyway. 

You are acting like Peter Jackson killed your childhood.

I for one like the actress. She seems to hold her own. Also always nice to see some new faces in Hollywood.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You are acting like Peter Jackson killed your childhood.

I for one like the actress. She seems to hold her own. Also always nice to see some new faces in Hollywood.

he killed my childhood cause he isn't making movies anymore. This shit is given to his SFX director or something. I miss LOTR. You should understand better than anyone. :(

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

he killed my childhood cause he isn't making movies anymore. This shit is given to his SFX director or something. I miss LOTR. You should understand better than anyone. :(

It's not that long ago he finished the grueling Hobbit shoot. He needed a timeout. Who knows, maybe Christian Rivers is the next Spielberg, maybe some of that Jackson talent rubbed off on him. :P

Edited by Elessar

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It's not that long ago he finished the grueling Hobbit shoot. He needed a timeout. Who knows, maybe Christian Rivers is the next Spielberg, maybe some of that Jackson talent rubbed off on him. :P

There's only one Next Spielberg

fa4.jpg

:Venom:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

This looks interesting, but I think the basic concept might be a bit too weird for the GA, and the competition it's facing is murderous. The Spideyverse movie is going to crush it on the first weekend, and the number of huge films opening the week after will prevent it from recovering.

I think this is one of the more likely bombs of this Christmas season. Just too much competition, and just don't see it appealing to  the general audience.

Jackson can pack them is for anything based on Tolkien but I think he had not had a non Middle Earth based success since "King Kong". "The Lovely Bones" in particular was a embrassing flop.

As for The Hobbit. I think a fun three hour movie got lost in eight hours of bloat,and most of the bloat crap that Jackson pulled out of his butt. He loaded the Hobbit films with Hollywood clichés that had  no place in the Tolkien novel...something he did not do with  LOTR.

I lost a lot of respect to Jackson as a filmmaker with the Hobbit.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, Chewy said:

All I can think when I see footage from this is how expensive it looks. Hope it doesn't bomb as hard as I suspect it will

-Even it turns out to be good, I just can't see this not bombing.

Even if the compettion was not so deadly,I think it would be a very hard sell to a Mainstream audience.

And I still wait for Jackson to make the movie he talks so much about but never actually gets around to making; "The Dam Busters".

I think stepping away from Sci Fi/Fantasy might be a good move for Jackson, btw.

Edited by dudalb

29 minutes ago, Chewy said:

All I can think when I see footage from this is how expensive it looks. Hope it doesn't bomb as hard as I suspect it will

Robin Hood should overshadow it in the bombage territory.