Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, filmlover said:

Point was is that his name hasn't been associated with high quality or must-see projects for a while (The Lovely Bones was an especially notable failed awards contender given how acclaimed the book was, and while the Hobbit movies made a lot of money thanks to their Lord of the Rings connection, does anyone even remember anything that happened in them nearly four years after the final one?) and that the afterglow of Lord of the Rings has pretty much faded away 15 years after the last one. I'm less inclined to believe that crazy Jackson stans that tout anything he attaches his name to still exist in 2018 like Cameron clearly does with Alita, hence why this will just fly under the radar and get lost in the holiday shuffle.

It says a lot that the only things people remember from the Hobbit movies are the scenes that stick close to the book, and all of Jackson's "improvements" are forgotten.

Yes, the days when PJ's name automatically meant big box office are over.  I was among the Jackson fanboys after LOTR, but have found every film since to nowhere near as good, One reason is his bloat;both Kong and the Hobbit movies were simply overlong. It took him freakikng one hour to reach Skull Island in Kong, it took the original 15 minutes.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, Slambros said:

I'd believe you. This film is free from any franchise baggage that could weigh it down, if that's something the film wants to capitalize on. Plus, Peter Jackson's involvement in any capacity is a plus. His name is on the product.

Sorry, but Jackson;s name was on "Lovely Bones" and that was a huge bomb.

Jackson's name is not worth what it once was.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:30 AM, DMan7 said:

What if I told you all other than Mary Poppins, this ended up being the best reviewed and most successful box office movie for December?

Great Reviews might be possible, but for the box office...I am skeptical about how well the Spideyverse movie will do overall, but it will do well enough to cursh ME opening weeknds, and the huge releases of the week after will destroy it.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Sorry, but Jackson;s name was on "Lovely Bones" and that was a huge bomb.

Jackson's name is not worth what it once was.

I didn't mean that I thought it'd be a draw.

I meant that there's a reason why Jackson is choosing to associate himself with the film.

He believes in this film. He believes that he got the right director for the job. He believes that his effort to make the film is justified.

And the confidence on display drives me to believe that the film has legitimate potential to be something that moviegoers of all colors are going to think of as worth watching.

Whether that's in the theater or on the FX channel in two/three years remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

It says a lot that the only things people remember from the Hobbit movies are the scenes that stick close to the book, and all of Jackson's "improvements" are forgotten.

I don't feel like discussing the other points, just wanted to single this one out. A prime example of selling a hypothesis as fact to support one's own narrative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2018 at 6:57 PM, filmlover said:

Point was is that his name hasn't been associated with high quality or must-see projects for a while (The Lovely Bones was an especially notable failed awards contender given how acclaimed the book was, and while the Hobbit movies made a lot of money thanks to their Lord of the Rings connection, does anyone even remember anything that happened in them nearly four years after the final one?) and that the afterglow of Lord of the Rings has pretty much faded away 15 years after the last one. I'm less inclined to believe that crazy Jackson stans that tout anything he attaches his name to still exist in 2018 like Cameron clearly does with Alita, hence why this will just fly under the radar and get lost in the holiday shuffle.

My apologies for getting back on you late.  I see now what you mean and can understand that, However, I really think that Jackson in combination with an effectful scifi-fantasy tale should / could be a no brainer for scifi-fantasy movie aficionados. Then again, with the missfires that were John Carter, Jupiter Ascending and lately Valerian (though all movies I really liked because they were so imaginatively - yes, I am that easy to please), I do understand why many b.o. aficionados see this movie as a soon to be dud. Personally, I hope this movie will make it at least ok-ish or will even soar to Alita levels at the b.o. (I cannot imagine the latter as a failure - not with that last trailers I saw). I would have to lie though if I would claim not to be worried considering the strong competition it gets on it's release date. And with Leia Organa Returns hot on it's heels... man, I'd really wish that Universal would reconsider and at least release this a week earlier or so.

• Like 1

You don't adapt the most famous, biggest and detailed fantasy book in the world, the lifetime work of a genius, the one that created it all, twice in your life.

This is Peter Jackson s Curse.

The Epitath of his Tombstone reads as follows :

" hey, I directed LOTR back in the ealry 2000's, guys, I was hip and cool back in the day."

Edited by The Futurist

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

You don't adapt the most famous, biggest and detailed fantasy book in the world, the lifetime work of a genius, the one that created it all, twice in your life.

" hey, I directed LOTR back in the ealry 2000's, guys, I was hip and cool back in the day."

I once read that creatives who reach the highest threshold of pop culture relevancy with one massive hit (such as J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, and modt mangakas) very rarely hit that threshold a second time. I guess it's fair to assume that George Lucas has already hit that threshold.

14 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It's the David O Selznick syndrome. He spent his whole career post 1939 trying to  surpass or equal the success of "Gone With the Wind" and never came anywhere near close. And it had a bad effect on his career,he grossly overspent on films, trying to make every film he produced epic is scale, even when it was something inherenty small scale like "The Paradine Case" a courtroom drama which ended up costing nearly as much as GWTW despite most the film taking place in a courtroom. This was a major reason why Hitchcock was happy when his contract with Selznick ended, he was tired of Selznick bothering him to make his films "bigger".

Selznick once in the early 40's predticted the headline on his obiturary would read "Producer of Gone With The Wind " dies;and that is what happened.

Before GWTW Selznick produced many outstanding films..including the first version of "A Star Is Born" but, except for a couple of the Hitchcock films he produced nothing really memorable after GWTW.

I suspect that is what will happen with Jackson,he will never surpass or really equal the level of success on all levels he had with LOTR. He has made some successful films, but none have had the impact of LOTR.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

This movie needs a miracle at this point. :whosad:

To be honest I never expected more.  I'd be fine with anything over 50M at this point and a relatively fine OS performance.

I mean, was there anything else for this? I know I'll really enjoy it but I also know it won't really appeal to most.

• Thanks 1