75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

Had my first Dolby Cinema experience today. LieMAX-sized screen with better projection. The sound system is the highlight though, absolutely ridiculous. To give you an indication, the theater was shaking during the Coke commercial prior to the start of the film. The bass is just wow.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think Allied will depend on reviews. Curious that it comes out in less than 5 days and there are still none.

Allied might open with 16m, it's a guess though at this point.

Reviews haven't posted, but apparently some major critics have tweeted about the film, and some say it good, so it could go either way.

Edited by Fancyarcher

31 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

And yet, Bob and Harvey made a bunch of shitty movies also and were a nightmare to work for. Ellison has better taste (subjective, I know) and the good sense to find quality filmmakers and let them do their thing. Different eras, different strengths.

The talent Bob & Harvey found and/or resurrected > what Ellison has done with daddy's money. I mean, Tarantino alone... 

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

The talent Bob & Harvey found and/or resurrected > what Ellison has done with daddy's money. I mean, Tarantino alone... 

Not sure why you keep harping on Ellison's money. Yes, she inherited it, how is that germane to this conversation? I'll put her track record up against theirs right now... and she's gonna be doing this for another 30-40 years unless she gets bored. 

(I'm not knocking the Weinsteins. Obviously they were very influential in the rise of 90s indie movies.)

• Like 2

Any numbers reported on Elle?

Wow. It's emotionally implausible, somewhat meandering, and has a deeply cold view of life. And yet... the lead performance is magnificent and I think when 2016 is long past it will be the movie I remember most.

Go and see it.

1 hour ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

Not sure why you keep harping on Ellison's money. Yes, she inherited it, how is that germane to this conversation? I'll put her track record up against theirs right now... and she's gonna be doing this for another 30-40 years unless she gets bored. 

(I'm not knocking the Weinsteins. Obviously they were very influential in the rise of 90s indie movies.)

It's germane to the conversation because what made Miramax so successful and influential was their hustle and ruthless ambition. They had to do it in order to survive. They didn't have mommy and daddy writing them $2 billion dollar checks to fall back on. The impact of Sex, Lies alone was bigger than anything Ellison has done or will ever do (the way it revolutionized not only Sundance but also made indies look sexy to the industry by taking them out of arthouses and into the multiplex for the very first time > what daddy's rich little girl is doing). 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1