FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Just now, Jayhawk said:

You're a sick man Pink.

The sick man is Rodgers. And the sickness is Munn.

Also: bummed I didn't get to see Manchester by the Sea....

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

You're not seriously explaining to me how the box office works are you buddy? You're not seriously telling me that the budget doesn't include marketing and that the producers only get half of the box office gross. Please tell me you are not telling me that. I've been following the box office longer than you've been alive buddy LOL

No need to be smug about it Baumer. You surely know that the theaters get a decent cut of the gross, whatever it is exactly on any given film we will never know. I wrote a paper on the situation a few years back and all the research is very conflicting, with studios claiming that the split is around 50/50, while most theater managers will say it's more like 30% for their share. And yeah I'm inclined to believe them more than studio heads. But we know it's enough though that barely making back a budget WW is nowhere near a good thing for a film today. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Come on now. If you had one you would've told us

Ethan, not everyone shares every single aspect of their personal life on here.

And I still won't.  I'm just gonna be intentionally cryptic from now on.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We do :lol: 

No you don't.  But maybe you do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Ethan, not everyone shares every single aspect of their personal life on here.

And I still won't.  I'm just gonna be intentionally cryptic from now on.

Your avatar is a dick with an eye. There is nothing cryptic about that :ph34r:

• Like 2

I wasn't being smug about it @MovieMan89.  I have a friendship with @CJohnohn outside of the forums so he and I are good. I was just laughing about him explaining box office 101 to me. And I know the number is basically reported as 50/50 but it wouldn't surprise me if theater owners get less than that. I too have spoken to Theatre owners and many of them have expressed a number lower than 50%.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I wasn't being smug about it @MovieMan89.  I have a friendship with @CJohnohn outside of the forums so he and I are good. I was just laughing about him explaining box office 101 to me. And I know the number is basically reported as 50/50 but it wouldn't surprise me if theater owners get less than that. I too have spoken to Theatre owners and many of them have expressed a number lower than 50%.

Remember when Disney got bitchy with theater owners about Iron Man 3? Lol.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324493704578429231519327210

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I don't think Steven Spielberg has had any real flops. He's had a couple of films that have may be disappointed or underwhelmed like BFG but an out-and-out flop? And you also said his fair share. Fair share implies a multitude of. Spielberg at best has had maybe two or three films that just kind of disappointed.

It's been a few decades, but I would think 1941 would count, I think.  At least the cut that was in the theaters (and not the expanded version which is MUCH better received).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2