FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

1 hour ago, water said:

i watched moana today. best movie of the year, and one of all time

legs are going to be crazy good, it's a perfect movie with a lot of rewatch value. 350 for sure, hopefully 1b ww, how's it doing os?

Well there's little opening yet OS for Moana this weekend, except maybe China and Singapore.

Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully the WOM will be crazy strong!

2 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Why in the world was he angry?  

He's been quoted as saying that SW inspired him to be a film maker.

I believe he said he had to get off his ass and start making films

Before Ridley Scott saw SW he was going to direct some low budget dramatic/romantic type movie. After he saw SW he called his agent and told him to forget that shit because he needed to step his game up. Hence, we got Alien. 

SW changed a lot more than just special affects. 

• Like 7

Recommendation for anybody participating in this conversation: if you haven't seen the De Palma doc, check it out! this guy was a friend of and huge influence on Scorsese and Lucas, and has had the weirdest, coolest, most up-and-down career of any of the 70s/80s auteurs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Before Ridley Scott saw SW he was going to direct some low budget dramatic/romantic type movie. After he saw SW he called his agent and told him to forget that shit because he needed to step his game up. Hence, we got Alien. 

SW changed a lot more than just special affects. 

And Warner greenlit Superman, beginning the modern superhero age.

And yup, at Fox, nobody cared about the Alien script.

Still, the creation of ILM in 1975 is probably the most important date in movie History of the last 50 years.

There is no other singular event that had more consequences since.

Also, Star Wars din't really revolutionize special effects, only for one (VERY) important technique.

I d say the revolution came with CGI in the late 80's and early 90's.

In fact the climate of the 70's was so a anti (or indifferent) science fiction & fantasy, auteur driven fillmaking was alienating audiences, that Lucas was able to buy visual effects equipment that nobody was using and was full of dust.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

Moana is starting to pick up at my theatre, but is still performing under the break-out of Trolls earlier this month.

19.7M for Saturday, up from 10.8 on Friday. 44.8M four day running total, with likely 56-57M 5-day weekend here (below trolls' $66.8M 3-day weekend). 

Factors red to include however is that in Canada this is not a holiday weekend. And other than the downpour Friday morning, weather here has been pretty beautiful all weekend (well, as beautiful as the end of November in Canada can be).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Recommendation for anybody participating in this conversation: if you haven't seen the De Palma doc, check it out! this guy was a friend of and huge influence on Scorsese and Lucas, and has had the weirdest, coolest, most up-and-down career of any of the 70s/80s auteurs. 

Dressed to Kill is such a fun movie. 

16 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

And ... auteur driven fillmaking was alienating audiences...

Uh, no. "Auteur"-driven filmmaking was dominating both critical and financial charts, and in fact, this sort of personalized, dramatic, character-driven storytelling was why Lucas was able to buy up stuff like old optical printers and VistaVision cameras so cheaply.

To say nothing of the fact that the only reason Lucas was given a chance to make SW is because of his own small character-driven film.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hoping for the impossible and a Sat increase for Moana. I've yet to see a poor reaction to it, I can't fathom why it wouldn't be a WOM beast. 

False hope it's just doesn't happen this weekend. It's like Easter weekend that way. Lol I want good numbers as well but there's a bit of realism that is needed. Today and tomorrow have too much traveling. 

50 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Uh, no. "Auteur"-driven filmmaking was dominating both critical and financial charts, and in fact, this sort of personalized, dramatic, character-driven storytelling was why Lucas was able to buy up stuff like old optical printers and VistaVision cameras so cheaply.

To say nothing of the fact that the only reason Lucas was given a chance to make SW is because of his own small character-driven film.

We read different books then, & Lucas was completly burnt out by all the bleak movies of the 70's and he saw Star Wars as a message of hope for younger generations.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

And Warner greenlit Superman, beginning the modern superhero age.

And yup, at Fox, nobody cared about the Alien script.

Still, the creation of ILM in 1975 is probably the most important date in movie History of the last 50 years.

There is no other singular event that had more consequences since.

Also, Star Wars din't really revolutionize special effects, only for one (VERY) important technique.

I d say the revolution came with CGI in the late 80's and early 90's.

In fact the climate of the 70's was so a anti (or indifferent) science fiction & fantasy, auteur driven fillmaking was alienating audiences, that Lucas was able to buy visual effects equipment that nobody was using and was full of dust.

I meant to respond to this earlier. 

No, auteur-driven films of the '70s like The Godfather, The French Connection, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and The Exorcist were breaking box office records. At the very least they were successful and profitable (Chinatown, Taxi Driver, Network, The Deer Hunter, etc.). In fact auteurs gained so much power and sold so many tickets that Hollywood let them do whatever they wanted and spend as much as they wanted...until the bubble finally burst in the late '70s/early '80s. But it's true that the unprecedented profits generated by Star Wars made everyone see dollar signs and as soon as auteurs failed to deliver at the box office (namely Copolla, Scorsese and Cimino) they were kicked to the curb. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 4