FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

=Paris/Berlin/Oslo/Kinshasa/...?

If yes:

weekdays the-Numbers start usually the fastest = when the first actual arrives.

It can vary, but for the moment the distributer 'Open Roads' is usually one of the first. That can be as early as e.g. 18:00 o'clock (sometimes even earlier). 

In the moment they add the first title, the new day appears if you use the ~ drop down like 'Box Office' - 'Daily' path you will see it.

For weekdays not docking to a public holiday counts: each title appearing on that chart (refresh) is the actual. Very rarely a distributer does not give an actual in time, then they might add an estimate instead = then the font colour is green (actual is black)

When you refresh repeatedly you will see:

the BO details appear per distributor. Be aware, if a distributor has some rather old/ now small holdovers it can take a few minutes till all appear.

Especially a few of the very small and rather big distributors tend to be late = between the first actuals and the last ones can be spent up to over 4 hours!

Starting around 19°° o'clock the bigger ones usually start... you will get a feel. It varies, when a new blockbuster ets released some distributors might start to give earlier than usual their new pride aehm BO details ;)

Weekend works a bit in another way:

the estimates chart already exists, when the actuals are dripping in.

They change the green written estimate to the black written actual within the same chart. Again, the change is per distributer releasing the datas, refresh a lot.

The time in day is earlier for the estimates during the weekend, the estimates can start around 16³° o'clock (+/-)

Public holidays ~ weekend, public holidays around the weekend - e.g. 4day / 5day weekend ) = usually estimates for the weekdays, but a few smaller distributors will still give actuals as if it would be a normal weekday.

In the past BoxOffice.com was often rather early and simply to find, but nowadays they seem to be a bit late with their number and a bit less nice for weekdays. But they provide social media charts,...

Mojo updates when all numbers are in, in one row, not step by step

You can follow also e.g. via twitter some accounts, they too give usually fast details, you can even do that without having an account, e.g. using a list of a twitter member that is BO orientated, for that too I could pm you a link. Examples are  ,...

If I forgot something, please let me know per quote or pm me, then I should find it fast.

This is an amazing post and is the exact kind of thing that makes this place so great. I'm sad I can only "like" it once.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Disney did the same thing with Frozen. That movie made like $2 million in theaters the weekend right before home video release. So the movie inched past $400 million instead of going on to beat TF2, SM1, and maybe even THG on the all time chart.

It's possible it would have gone on for quite a while, but it's also likely that Disney did the HV release right at the iron is hottest moment. If it had been delayed for a couple months, would it have been so record breaking? Arguably, Disney sacrificed a few million of box office for several tens of millions of HV gross. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're 7-9 hours away from actuals.

The first on is already up ;)

34 -27 I Am not Madame Bovary Well Go USA $69,495 -62% 27 $2,574   $356,620 10

http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2016/11/25

@FantasticBeasts

Be aware, (too) many  hours till the last one is in or even the big ones 'arrive'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

This is an amazing post and is the exact kind of thing that makes this place so great. I'm sad I can only "like" it once.

Only to add: the different colors for estimates and actuals are not to see with every browser as I learend today. 

Beside that: thank you 

• Like 1

Allied Paramount Pictures $12,701,743   3,160 $4,020   $17,726,047
Arrival Paramount Pictures $11,454,422 -6% 2,442 $4,691   $62,561,985
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Paramount Pictures $361,555 -63% 345 $1,048   $57,418,255

No Pay, Nudity Monterey Media $630 -80% 3 $210   $8,989
  • Like 3

For the interested, in the tracking thread they just told presales for SW R1 is at $3.7m and... it is quite interesting, IMHO worth a visit

Shut In EuropaCorp $222,655 -86% 277 $804   $6,694,817
Miss Sloane EuropaCorp $59,797   3 $19,932   $59,797
Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

And people said it wouldn't increase from estimates -_-

since that one time Disney estimated an OW a bit too high a few years back, their estimate was - at least each time I looked into it - a bit underestimated. 

6 minutes ago, Finnick said:

MOANA IS UP BY 1M With ACTUAL NUMBERS,

That's great!

Should be a great sign that strong legs are kicking in.

This weekend's drop will be brutal; but if it can stay close to only about a 50% drop and follow Toy Story 2, $250 million is locked.

With the Christmas/New Year's Holiday Moana still has a small chance it could even hit $300 million! I'm rooting for it!

• Like 1