eXtacy

Monday Numbers: Moana/FB 2.3-2.2m (Asgard)

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well I call this a fator for this not going to pull a Frozen. Also see the edit that I did on what is another big con.

the second point I agree, I wish it were a summer release, 2017. would've been perfect. 

• Like 1

Considering how "How Far I'll Go" is still in the Top  10 of iTunes (Excluding The Voice performances) and the Moana soundtrack is getting better reviews than Frozen AND is sitting at #3 and #8, music is not a disadvantage.  Sure a first-listen might not warrant reactions similar to "Let it Go" but with more listens it gets better; you hear the arrangements, the beautiful melody, the instruments, her glowing and warm tone, the modulation, etc...  And the millions of people who've bought or listened to the album or songs agree with me judging by its Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, and Billboard performances.

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 6

Just now, CelestialFairyIX said:

Considering how "How Far I'll Go" is still in the Top  10 of iTunes and the Moana soundtrack is getting better reviews than Frozen AND is sitting at #3 and #8, music is not a disadvantage.  Sure a first-listen might not warrant reactions similar to "Let it Go" but with more listens it gets better; you hear the arrangements, the beautiful melody, the instruments, her glowing and warm tone, the modulation, etc...  And the millions of people who've bought or listened to the album or songs agree with me judging by its Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, and Billboard performance.

don't bother tho, they are gonna make a con-list anyhow: "23084245 reasons of why Moana will disappoint". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Considering how "How Far I'll Go" is still in the Top  10 of iTunes (Excluding The Voice performances) and the Moana soundtrack is getting better reviews than Frozen AND is sitting at #3 and #8, music is not a disadvantage.  Sure a first-listen might not warrant reactions similar to "Let it Go" but with more listens it gets better; you hear the arrangements, the beautiful melody, the instruments, her glowing and warm tone, the modulation, etc...  And the millions of people who've bought or listened to the album or songs agree with me judging by its Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, and Billboard performance.

You have to know though that Itunes have lost their popularity . They will probably close by 2018. You can sell 4000 copies and be top 3 on itunes...This is definetely not anything indicationary. Don't fool ourselves...You'll find no Let it Go in Moana...

19 minutes ago, yjs said:

Zootopia fell -35% against BvS's $166M OW. The Croods fell -37.5% agains Iron Man 3's $175M OW. TJB fell -44% against Civil War's $180M OW.. 

Tangled without any monster debuts like those fell -38.8% on the 4th week. so if Moana manages around -40% drop on its week 4, I think it's fine.

You speak sense.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You have to know though that Itunes have lost their popularity . They will probably close by 2018. You can sell 4000 copies and be top 3 on itunes...This is definetely not anything indicationary. Don't fool ourselves...You'll find no Let it Go in Moana...

I don't think it will "close", but rather it's migrating into Apple Music.

I do agree with your main point though, there's no Let It Go in Moana, but Zootopia did just fine without songs as well. I think 300M is far from impossible, it's all about late legs.

Am I the only one who thinks boiling down Frozen to a song does it a massive disservice? It also played as a deconstruction of Disney Princess movies, which helped it's popularity with older audiences. Let it Go may have appealed to children, but it's play on true love is why adults were willing to see it in droves as well.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

I don't think it will "close", but rather it's migrating into Apple Music.

I do agree with your main point though, there's no Let It Go in Moana, but Zootopia did just fine without songs as well. I think 300M is far from impossible, it's all about late legs.

We shall see..Nothing is impossible but for the time being I think 250m must be a rational goal...

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Am I the only one who thinks boiling down Frozen to a song does it a massive disservice? It also played as a deconstruction of Disney Princess movies, which helped it's popularity with older audiences. Let it Go may have appealed to children, but it's play on true love is why adults were willing to see it in droves as well.

It may be cause I really didn't enjoy Frozen that much...I found it average...boring in times...the music though!!!

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I still think my point stands as it is. Let it Go added alone approximately $200m to Frozen

I think attributing half its gross to a song people could buy for 99 cents instead of paying for a ten dollars per ticket is a bithing much.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I agree with your general point but come on, that song just fit perfectly into the movie and its momentum. It was a catch song independently from the movie yes, but how it played out in the movie is what made it truly special and you only got that by watching the film.

Plus the song is what really made the movie a cultural event. Double its gross? Nah, but the difference between 300 and 400m? I can buy that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I really don't want to be negative ... I liked Moana as well. I was just pointing out some facts that you did acknowledge yourself. Being realistic is the best thing possible

sorry if I sounded annoyed. and I do think $250M is a wonderful goal for Moana as well. just don't feel $220M-$230M predictions do justice for its potential is all. :) 

Edited by yjs

As a father of a 4 year old, Moana just doesn't seem to have that much buzz to me.  I've seen items in stores and even some marketing at Disney World a week or two ago on a recent trip but it seems more like a "Tangled", "Chicken Little" or "Princess and the Frog" as one of those movies you look back and wonder . . . "When did that come out again?".   Frozen didn't set the world on fire upon release.  The song "Let it Go" was not only insanely popular as a cultural phenomenon but added a ton of visibility to the movie.  Disney could not buy that kind of marketing.  I believe it is what caused the long legs as people who ignored it when it opened finally became curious and did eventually go see the movie.  As well as a lot of repeat viewings from children who saw the movie and became obsessed with it and the music.  The longer a movie hangs around in theaters the more that WOM can take effect and the more repeat viewings you can have from the fanatical devotees.

• Like 1