eXtacy

Monday Numbers: Moana/FB 2.3-2.2m (Asgard)

35 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Never say anything that is remotely perceived as disparaging against a Pixar film. The pixar loonies will excoriate you over and over and over again.

No need for this. It was a civil discussion.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, yjs said:

good comparison, Aladdin is somewhat like a middle child sandwiched between the box office behemoth the Lion King and the culturally more relevant BatB.

Disney not promoting it as hard as its counterparts after its theatrical run could be another factor too, cause it has some... issues, you know. ("where they cut off your ears if they don't like your face)

That's not completely fair though. Disney pretty much purposely forgot Aladdin existed for a decade after 9/11. It didn't have the IMAX re-release, 3d re-release and constant legacy pimping that BatB had. It took until 2011 to make an Aladdin musical. If Aladdin had the same treatment maybe BatB would still end up having the cultural relevance edge, but it never had a shot. Aladdin still is one of the 5-6 biggest hits in the Disney canon even with so many of the others having multiple re-releases and Disney treated it like it was Oliver & Company.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Moana is going to end up this generations Aladdin. Well regarded, high grossing, but always in the shadow of its larger sibling. Right or wrong. 

Aladdin's biggest sibling came afterward, though. I have a feeling that both Wreck-it Ralph 2 and Gigantic will fall under Moana. Frozen 2 also might not beat Moana.

18 minutes ago, Joel M said:

That's not completely fair though. Disney pretty much purposely forgot Aladdin existed for a decade after 9/11. It didn't have the IMAX re-release, 3d re-release and constant legacy pimping that BatB had. It took until 2011 to make an Aladdin musical. If Aladdin had the same treatment maybe BatB would still end up having the cultural relevance edge, but it never had a shot. Aladdin still is one of the 5-6 biggest hits in the Disney canon even with so many of the others having multiple re-releases and Disney treated it like it was Oliver & Company.

I completely agree to all of your points, thus my following sentence: "Disney not promoting it as hard as its counterparts after its theatrical run could be another factor too, cause it has some... issues, you know"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Aladdin's biggest sibling came afterward, though. I have a feeling that both Wreck-it Ralph 2 and Gigantic will fall under Moana. Frozen 2 also might not beat Moana.

You think Frozen 2 might drop 40% from the first one?

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

It really depends on the movie itself's staying power. Inside Out and Toy Story 3 were able to withstand competition, but The Good Dinosaur got drilled by Star Wars last year and Dory took a bit of a beating when Pets came out 

I emphasized "a bit". Without that qualifier, I can understand debating whether a -53% and -43% drop counts as a "beating". With that qualifier, I don't see how you can possibly argue it isn't at least "a bit" of a beating given that Dory dropped less than -24%, -37% its first two weeks, and -40% over the 3-day for the 4th of July long weekend.

I agree with Baumer that there was an overreaction to this statement. (I don't necessarily agree it had anything to do with Pixar fandom though, perhaps just poor reading.)

Edited by Jason

43 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Today I am more or less only interested in this:

will DS Monday's reach/surpass  $583,268 or not? If yes, DS total over Thor 2's dom total. If not: it will be at Tuesday

DS should make more than that, as long as it doesn't go over a 79.3% drop. Thor 2 made $531,201 the Monday after Thanksgiving. DS has been steadily above Thor 2's dailies, I think that trend continues. 75% drop would put DS over $700,000.

• Like 1

I emphasized "a bit". Without that qualifier, I can understand debating whether a -53% and -43% drop counts as a "beating". With that qualifier, I don't see how you can possibly argue it isn't at least "a bit" of a beating given that Dory dropped less than -24%, -37% its first two weeks, and -40% over the 3-day for the 4th of July long weekend.

I agree with Baumer that there was an overreaction to this statement. (I don't necessarily agree it had anything to do with Pixar fandom though, perhaps just poor reading.)

The thing is I consider myself a Pixar loon and I've had a history of arguments with Baumer about it. Some of us actually can evaluate the performance of their movies on a more or less objective basis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Never say anything that is remotely perceived as disparaging against a Pixar film. The pixar loonies will excoriate you over and over and over again.

Are there really that many die-hard Pixar fans here? It might be just me but I see more WDAS die hard fans, I'd call myself Pixar loony though.

Edited by NCsoft

Are there really that many die-hard Pixar fans here? It might be just me but I see more WDAS die hard fans, I'd call myself Pixar loony though.

Obviously the Disney fans will be more vocal now but with two Pixar films next year the conversation will naturally gravitate towards that studio

Frozen is still very much an outsize cultural phenomenon. My mother works at an elementary school, and kids (Grades 1-3) still talk about it, at least occasionally. (I don't know the context, didn't ask.) Also, when I was shopping at the Disney store this summer, there was a group of kids spamming Frozen songs on some sort of sing-along TV display. Purely anecdotal, I know, but there's also merchandise sales etc. to take into account.

If Frozen 2 comes out in the next few years, I can see it beating the original domestically as long as it's good. Internationally it won't, because it's very unlikely to match the original in Japan, and also because of the increased strength of the USD. (Frozen adjusts to about $750M OS, even you take into account ticket price inflation as well as the exchange rate changes.)