Emma Stone

Meryl Streep (FFJ)

Ensemble

Captain Fantastic

Fences

Hidden Figures

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Yowza, No La La Land for Ensemble. Also lmfao Emily Blunt got in.

why is no la la land in ensemble a surprise? they pretty much nominated the only two noteworthy performances. lmao is captain fantastic gonna be a thing for real? there's always one oscar season movie i gotta hate on i guess. i didn't even think viggo was good in it he seemed kinda asleep. no idea what people are seeing in that performance.

• Like 2

I can't really say I'm surprised La La Land didn't make it in Ensemble despite their history of doing such. Ryan and Emma are the only actual performances in the movie, and John Legend is the only one of the familiar faces in the rest of the cast who isn't a one scene cameo (and he gets nothing to do in his limited screen time so...).

i didn't want to admit it until now, heck i even liked the movie, but streep is looking good for #20. why do i doubt it every year? :lol: . switch out blunt (lol) with huppert (sag never nominates the european films, riva, cotillard for 2d1n, rampling all snubbed here) and that's probably the line-up.

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Captain Fantastic looks like the Sundanciest movie that has ever Sundanced. 

I only saw that one still where they're all standing in the courtroom (?) in various brightly-colored clothes and I already wished I could strangle the movie. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i didn't want to admit it until now, heck i even liked the movie, but streep is looking good for #20. why do i doubt it every year? :lol: . switch out blunt (lol) with huppert (sag never nominates the european films, riva, cotillard for 2d1n, rampling all snubbed here) and that's probably the line-up.

Well, she somehow wasn't nominated for stuff like Hope Springs and Ricki and the Flash so I thought they'd ignore this one too. 

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well, she somehow wasn't nominated for stuff like Hope Springs and Ricki and the Flash so I thought they'd ignore this one too. 

To be fair, she's playing a real life person in this. That kind of role is catnip for the Academy, despite the low box office total from the summer.

Also: between Trumbo last year and Captain Fantastic this year, Bleecker Street is quickly working their way up.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

i guess playing a real person strengthens the baitiness of the project. i've got no problem with hugh grant's awards run though i think he's great in it. in fact he's pretty much the real lead he's the one orchestrating everything meryl's just doing funny singing scenes and like one sad bit at the end.