Cmasterclay

Precursors 2016! Winners and Nominations

Weren't there several high profile directors who loved the Deadpool script? I forget who they were but I remember reading an article about them loving it and wondering why the film hadn't been green lit yet. This was before Deadpool was released. 

Again. I'm personally not surprised by any of the award seasons success Deadpool has had in terms of nominations. All the signs are pointing to it getting more nominations. If it doesnt, I wouldnt be shocked either because its run up to this point has been impressive nonetheless. Its the little train that could. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Weren't there several high profile directors who loved the Deadpool script? I forget who they were but I remember reading an article about them loving it and wondering why the film hadn't been green lit yet. This was before Deadpool was released. 

Again. I'm personally not surprised by any of the award seasons success Deadpool has had in terms of nominations. All the signs are pointing to it getting more nominations. If it doesnt, I wouldnt be shocked either because its run up to this point has been impressive nonetheless. Its the little train that could. 

This is pretty much the end of the road for it unless it gets a tech nom or two (I currently have it in Best Makeup so).

If it's any consolation for @CoolioD1, Captain Fantastic looks like it was eligible. HOHW, Manchester, and La La Land are all locked for Original screenplay, but it looks like The Lobster, Jackie, 20CW, and Captain Fantastic are the next best bets. Hell, has CF even shown up anywhere for screenplay? I think a lot of people are just assuming it gets in following the love for Viggo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdMan said:

moonlight seems to be winning more best picture awards than La La Land lately , does that translate to an oscar tho ?

Those are Critic awards.  They're decent precursors, but the critic circles can be inconsistent at picking BP (which is fine, they're their own thing).

What'll be the telling signs is what wins PGA, DGA, SAG (kind of, La La Land wasn't really eligible for Ensemble), and BAFTA

NOMINATIONS FOR THE 53rd CAS AWARDS FOR
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING FOR 2016

MOTION PICTURE – LIVE ACTION

Doctor Strange

Hacksaw Ridge

La La Land

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sully

MOTION PICTURE—ANIMATED

Finding Dory

Moana

Zootopia

MOTION PICTURE—DOCUMENTARY

13th

Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words

Gleason

O.J. Made in America

The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and The Silk Road Ensemble

TELEVISION MOVIE or MINI-SERIES

11.22.63: The Rabbit Hole

Black Mirror: San Junipero

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride

The Night Manager: Episode 1

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

TELEVISION SERIES – 1 HOUR

Better Call Saul: Klick

Game of Thrones: Battle of the Bastards

Mr. Robot: eps2.8_h1dden-pr0cess.axx

Stranger Things: Episode 7 “The Bath Tub”

Westworld: The Original

TELEVISION SERIES – 1/2 HOUR

blackish: God

Modern Family: The Storm

Silicon Valley: Daily Active Users

Transparent: Exciting and New

Veep: Congressional Ball

TELEVISION NON-FICTION, VARIETY or MUSIC SERIES or SPECIALS

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (Hanoi)

Deadliest Catch: The Widowmaker (Part 1)

Grease Live!

Mars: Novo Mundo

We Will Rise: Michelle Obama’s Mission to Educate Girls Around the World

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

cinematography guild nominees:

arrival

la la land

lion

moonlight

silence

Lion is a pretty surprising nomination. Swap that with Nocturnal Animals and I think that's our Oscar lineup.

Edited by WrathOfHan

really? haven't seen it yet but i've read a lot of praise for its photography. greig fraser is the kinda guy who's due for a nomination too. him and bradford young. i can see the oscars going 5/5 there. i guess maybe nocturnal animals would be the only spoiler idk.

Edited by CoolioD1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

really? haven't seen it yet but i've read a lot of praise for its photography. greig fraser is the kinda guy who's due for a nomination too. him and bradford young. i can see the oscars going 5/5 there. i guess maybe nocturnal animals would be the only spoiler idk.

Good point. Maybe Silence is the snub then, although this is the second guild that's gone for it after VFX. I fully expect NA to get a BP nomination because PGA always misses at least one film; from there I'm expecting it to coast along and get a Cinematography nomination. Production Design might not be out of the question either.

i don't think silence is a snub, if they recognised it here they'll go for it at the oscars because the academy actually have artier picks in the category than these guys if you look at their history. and i think the work is pretty undeniable. 

48 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lion is a pretty surprising nomination. Swap that with Nocturnal Animals and I think that's our Oscar lineup.

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Lion has good cinematography. Has lots of landscape shots that get Academy people all Ethany.

costume design guild.

Excellence in Contemporary Film
Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie 
Captain Fantastic 
La La Land 
Lion 
Nocturnal Animals 

Excellence in Period Film
The Dressmaker 
Florence Foster Jenkins 
Hail, Caesar!
Hidden Figures