Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Everyone here needs to see Manchester by the Sea. Incredible filmmaking.

Tomorrow, I'm seeing It's a Wonderful Life (for the first time ever!) on the big screen. Good way to kick off winter break.

I'll see it when they release it on the 26th of January . >:(

I'm glad it has a date though. Still none for Moonlight here.

Spoiler

At least I got La La Land a week ago :redcapes:

Skip Manchester unless you like being extremely bored. I also totally disagree that is NOT even competent filmmaking. The cinematography was just awful! Set the camera down far away and just leave it rolling? Check! Jesus worst movie of the year by far. May appeal to cinema snobs and critics but it's not a movie anyone in the general audience will enjoy.

ive been the only one in a theater many many times. Never ever had a canceled show.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

That sounds like a huge waste of money for the movie theater if only one person goes and they still show the movie.

Ding, ding, ding. People need to be paid to be in the theater supervising everything.

10 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Skip Manchester unless you like being extremely bored. I also totally disagree that is NOT even competent filmmaking. The cinematography was just awful! Set the camera down far away and just leave it rolling? Check! Jesus worst movie of the year by far. May appeal to cinema snobs and critics but it's not a movie anyone in the general audience will enjoy.

ive been the only one in a theater many many times. Never ever had a canceled show.

:WHATanabe:

You were "extremely bored" in Manchester but R1 excites you? Wow, I just don't get it I guess...

At any rate, DON'T SKIP Manchester if you love extremely well developed characters with superb performances to back them up. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

That sounds like a huge waste of money for the movie theater if only one person goes and they still show the movie.

Probably is, but I'm sure as hell not going to complain if I don't have to deal with any blabbering toddlers at a late-night Moana screening.

I think the future is short-order screen selections by popular demand, and other films will get demoted to something like those darkrooms they have at libraries.

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Is it?  If it's like a 3pm show and we're opened and staffed, we're not losing anything. 

That's why the only time we'll even come close to considering it is a very late show where we should be closing down and cutting staff. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rallax said:

Is it?  If it's like a 3pm show and we're opened and staffed, we're not losing anything. 

That's why the only time we'll even come close to considering it is a very late show where we should be closing down and cutting staff. 

We only ever cancel late shows off the top of my head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Manchester by the Sea has been announced to release on Blu-Ray February 21. I don't know if Amazon and Roadside will do one last push before the Oscars or not.

That's really silly imo; it's such a good movie that I want to stay in theaters at least until after the Oscars lol

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I was under the impression that with the advent of digital screens projection had become more or less automated. Around here they start a promo program about fifteen minutes before the advertised showtime and it runs right into the trailers and feature. I've been in pretty empty theaters a lot and never had to deal with a cancelled showing.

Pretty much. 

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There's more then just the projectionist involved with keeping the movie going.

Not really. 

Just now, Rallax said:

Pretty much. 

Not really. 

You can't just leave the projectionist in charge of the entire theater. At my location there has to be at least two managers in the building and sometimes also at least one usher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merkel said:

Until the whole trilogy plays out, we really don't know much about Rey's Force abilities. We don't know if she had previous training or not. We don't if she is roughly as strong with the Force as Luke was at the same point, or if she is some sort of supreme Force manifestation the likes of which we have never seen before.

Plus, Kylo Ren, besides being severely injured (and the movie did emphasize this quite a bit) and in a state of emotional turmoil, did not want to kill Rey but rather make her join his cause and receive training

People like to conveniently forget about that part. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

You can't just leave the projectionist in charge of the entire theater. At my location there has to be at least two managers in the building and sometimes also at least one usher.

I'm sorry, you mentioned "keeping the movies going."  

Yes, there will be other staff, but for the movies, they are all automated and unless something happens, they don't need any attention at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Rallax said:

I'm sorry, you mentioned "keeping the movies going."  

Yes, there will be other staff, but for the movies, they are all automated and unless something happens, they don't need any attention at all.

Not literally but in terms of monitoring everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I can't believe you want to rehash this, but:

A- she wasn't "a linguist", she had picked up the same basic couple of random languages that other SW characters have done through the course of their lives, including Luke (who seems to have lived a more sheltered life than Rey). Is Luke a linguist? He understands at least some basic droid languages in A NEW HOPE. 

B- she wasn't a particularly good duellist, but she managed to hold off an angry and and overconfident and wounded Dark Side-ish apprentice (who had limited formal training of his own) for a few moments and managed to strike a blow. Kylo Ren might have some Dark Side ability, but Rey clearly is Force-sensitive and also had some basic latent ability to explore it. Again, this is the same sort of case with Luke, not to mention Anakin, who (at the age of eight! or however old he was) had far, far more natural abilities.

C- see B. Luke's "training" at the beginning of TESB consists of five minutes with a training droid while Obi-Wan watched and a whispered "The Force is with You" during the Trench Run. It's about the same as what Rey had when she managed to unexpectedly do the same thing.

I've been a Star Wars fan for 35 years, roughly speaking. Not once did any of these concerns cross my mind until I wandered onto message boards and discovered a bunch of people suddenly bitching that a young woman -- who clearly is destined to be some sort of future Jedi or powerful Force-enabled person -- showed the few flashes of basic ability that had already been demonstrated by other major characters in previous Star Wars movies.

I also hesitate to use an appeal to authority, but in this particular case the movie was shepherded through production and co-written by someone who arguably has had as much creative power in the Star Wars universe as anyone not named George Lucas. If anyone (aside from Lucas) has the creative understanding and "right" chops to add a new character with the potential to become some great Force in the galaxy, it's Kasdan.

but tele

girls are icky

• Like 7