Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

8TH Writethru, Saturday, 11:48PM: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is now looking to punch the hyperspace button toward a $155.7M weekend opening after a $46.25M Saturday, which is down 35% from the pic’s $71M Friday (including $29M previews). That figure was the 12th best opening day ever and second-best for December after Force Awakens’ all-time high of $119.1M.

Rogue One‘s percent hold between Friday and Saturday bests the -43% ease over the same time frame for Force Awakens.  Because there’s fewer schools out on Monday (48% per Disney’s watch) than a year ago (77%), the anticipation is that Rogue One will have a slightly steeper drop of -17% than Episode VII‘s -11%.  We always knew Rogue One wouldn’t be Force Awakens, but even if the prequel’s opening is -37% from the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel,  it’s still phenomenal business for this time of year, and the fun part will be watching this pic conquer throughout the holiday.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Skip Manchester unless you like being extremely bored. I also totally disagree that is NOT even competent filmmaking. The cinematography was just awful! Set the camera down far away and just leave it rolling? Check! Jesus worst movie of the year by far. May appeal to cinema snobs and critics but it's not a movie anyone in the general audience will enjoy.

Posts like this make me happy that I don't consider myself a member of the GA

Besides, I saw MANCHESTER with a friend of mine who definitely isn't as into cinema as me, and she loved it too so HA

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Natalie Portman's performance in Jackie is breathtaking. Wasn't really expecting to care for it much despite the buzz but I preferred it to Black Swan. Shame that win will probably be the reason she doesn't win for this. 

Praying that gets a wide-release before the end of Winter Break, it looks hella good 

Manchester felt so genuine. One of those very rare films that completely felt like a look into real people's lives. Nothing fake or Hollywood about it. So I guess if you like that Hollywood sheen, I can see how it maybe wouldn't be your thing. 

Edited by MovieMan89

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

:WHATanabe:

You were "extremely bored" in Manchester but R1 excites you? Wow, I just don't get it I guess...

At any rate, DON'T SKIP Manchester if you love extremely well developed characters with superb performances to back them up. 

Are you kidding me?! LOL one movie has the greatest space battle ever and the other is just as long but has constant navel gazing and the "great" performance is a guy acting apathetic all movie long. Was there any character development or growth? Nope! He was the same at the end as the beginning. The scene with his ex has among the worst acting I've ever seen in a movie in general let alone an awards film. How could you not be constantly clock watching?! It wasn't like anything happened at all. Just watching every day life. That doesn't make for a movie. At all. Movies should actually include plots. But hey don't take my word for it go waste your money and time, I think it's funny when people do that :P 

i watched it at home at least where I could check my phone when every single scene was just insane boredom.

Nice Saturday anyway, sounds solid enough to me. Weather hurt it a bit im sure but it'll make no difference in the end.

Just now, JonathanLB said:

Are you kidding me?! LOL one movie has the greatest space battle ever and the other is just as long but has constant navel gazing and the "great" performance is a guy acting apathetic all movie long. Was there any character development or growth? Nope! He was the same at the end as the beginning. The scene with his ex has among the worst acting I've ever seen in a movie in general let alone an awards film. How could you not be constantly clock watching?! It wasn't like anything happened at all. Just watching every day life. That doesn't make for a movie. At all. Movies should actually include plots. But hey don't take my word for it go waste your money and time, I think it's funny when people do that :P 

i watched it at home at least where I could check my phone when every single scene was just insane boredom.

Nice Saturday anyway, sounds solid enough to me. Weather hurt it a bit im sure but it'll make no difference in the end.

Well written characters, performances, and plots are what entertain me more than just another run of the mill action scene. As if SW hasn't already done space battles a dozen times over and a dozen times better than R1's before. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Manchester felt so genuine. One of those very rare films that completely felt like a look into real people's lives. Nothing fake or Hollywood about it. 

I agree. That was exactly the problem! Movies should be about something special. We don't need movies about ordinary people doing ordinary things. It has no place in cinema. By that logic we should just make movies about our neighbors because "everyone has a story." Well fuck that's fascinating! I mean hmm Gladiator about a guy who seeks ultimate revenge and slays the emperor or... a movie about a guy who starts bar fights and struggles with alcoholism and spends the movie hanging out with his brother's kid. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm this is a tough one! And people wonder why movies like this make no money?! People take one look at that plot description and say hell no.

• Like 2

Deadline has the Sat # at 46.25 (and the OW at 155.7).

46.25 would be a 68% hold of TFA's Sat, which is almost identical to it's hold on True Friday.

They seem to be projecting a 38.38 Sun, which is a 17% drop from Saturday.

Guess that's conceivable.

• Like 4

Just now, JonathanLB said:

I agree. That was exactly the problem! Movies should be about something special. We don't need movies about ordinary people doing ordinary things. It has no place in cinema. By that logic we should just make movies about our neighbors because "everyone has a story." Well fuck that's fascinating! I mean hmm Gladiator about a guy who seeks ultimate revenge and slays the emperor or... a movie about a guy who starts bar fights and struggles with alcoholism and spends the movie hanging out with his brother's kid. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm this is a tough one! And people wonder why movies like this make no money?! People take one look at that plot description and say hell no.

Well it may not have had gloss and polish, but I thought the characters were incredibly realized and I was totally invested in their story. Real people can be interesting too you know, even in a movie. 

• Like 1

There are exactly 4 "space battles" in the previous 7 SW movies.  

End of TPM

Begining of ROTS

End of ANH

End of ROTJ

The one at the end of RO is awesome and highly entertaining. Rivaled, in my opinion, only be the one at the end of ROTJ

I was more entertained by the last act of RO than pretty much every movie I've seen this year save for maybe Deadpool. Maybe

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well it may not have had gloss and polish, but I thought the characters were incredibly realized and I was totally invested in their story. Real people can be interesting too you know, even in a movie. 

Bro, i registered on this great site solely to thank you for being my favorite contrarian indicator.  I remember you from the classic Frozen thread.  lol.  Please keep offering opinions on movies - so i can go see the ones you hate and avoid the ones you love.  Rottentomatoes got nothing on you, bruh! 

:D

• Like 2

To cut in on the Manchester debate, realism is like everything else in movie-making. A tool. It can add and subtract from a movie's quality depending on how you use it. You can make a movie super-realistic to real life and have it work to appeal to audiences and make it very easy for them to empathise and connect with the characters/setting/whatever. Equally, you can make a movie super-realistic to real life and have it be as dull as sin. Real life tends to be poorly paced with a lot of incredulous plot moments and characters appearing/disappearing out of nowhere. Doesn't necessarily make for great cinema. This Mitchell and Webb sketch always reminded me of the perils of being 'too realistic'.

Ultimately though, there's not really much point in arguing whether movies should be more/less realistic when you should be arguing about how a movie has used its sense of realism.

Er... Also, something something Star Wars Rogue One numbers WOO!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ldb said:

Bro, i registered on this great site solely to thank you for being my favorite contrarian indicator.  I remember you from the classic Frozen thread.  lol.  Please keep offering opinions on movies - so i can go see the ones you hate and avoid the ones you love.  Rottentomatoes got nothing on you, bruh! 

:D

Looks like MovieMan has another account. :qotd:

• Like 2