Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Rogue One will play well with fans. Too many references to ANH that will thrill them. I myself loved every one of them including fleeting appearances of certain characters. But I doubt it will be a must watch for GA. TFA became a movie that could not be missed. Generally record breakers have that factor.

I'd say that 90 % of the GA are already fans of the Star Wars universe. I can't think of any other franchise with a stronger appeal/popularity/recognizability among the so-called general audience...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I'd say that 90 % of the GA are already fans of the Star Wars universe. I can't think of any other franchise with a stronger appeal/popularity/recognizability among the so-called general audience...

Lol If I yell 'I have the high ground!" to 10 of my male friends

9 out of 10 will know that means.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Lol If I yell 'I have the high ground!" to 10 of my male friends

9 out of 10 will know that means.

No offense Vegeta but I doubt you're a general person! Unless you pick your friends without regard to your interests I think they're more likely than the norm to be star wars fans.

17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

unlike many franchise, a lot of the general audience are Star Wars fans to some degree or another.

Meaning references that are obscure in other franchises are well known as they are so much part of our culture.  

There you go! You totally beat me to it (my previous post basically said the same thing)!!

No matter how much time passes, I am always fascinated by the power of SW in regards to being a part of our culture at-large. Every day I am amazed at how many disparate people from the most diverse backgrounds, age groups, and social communities are well aware of SW-related minutiae that, in theory, should only be known by so-called nerds. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No offense Vegeta but I doubt you're a general person! Unless you pick your friends without regard to your interests I think they're more likely than the norm to be star wars fans.

I disagree, like at work I have male colleagues and think all of them apart from one is a SW fan and the one who is not knows Darth Vader and such is lol.

Here in north America if you make male friends, its a very high chance they are Star War fans to some level. :P

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You do realize that business just shifts to Sunday to Tuesday...

look at 2011, I am usually conservative as well but based on the past it will be smooth sailing.

I am think 350 million by 27th is possible. 

That is not conservative with Monday at 18m with 48% of schools only being off.

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

There you go! You totally beat me to it (my previous post basically said the same thing)!!

No matter how much time passes, I am always fascinated by the power of SW in regards to being a part of our culture at-large. Every day I am amazed at how many disparate people from the most diverse backgrounds, age groups, and social communities are well aware of SW-related minutiae that, in theory, should only be known by so-called nerds. 

lol take Admiral Akbar.

Guy has 5 mins of screen time and has a famous meme after him lol.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not conservative with Monday at 18m with 48% of schools only being off.

Being conservative it makes what 60 million in weekdays this week

then 115 from Friday to Tuesday.

That is around 325 million and it had another week of holidays to go

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Being conservative it makes what 60 million in weekdays this week

then 115 from Friday to Tuesday.

That is around 325 million and it had another week of holidays to go

Saturday will drop huge from friday. So it will struggle to gross that much friday to tuesday. Plus with big openers tend to burn off demand. TFA had extraordinary weekdays and we started seeing predictions of 180-200m 2nd weekend. It did not come close. This based on even Imax not selling out early will see less spillover business. It will slow down for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

So I paid £15 to see this in imax just for Dunkirk despite already having an unlimited card so I was disappointed not only by the fact there was no prologue shown but the film also happened to be one of the mist boring blockbusters I've seen in a while. The general consensus from everyone I went with was it was meh. Sure the end was fun, but it wasn't worth the first hour and a half if boredom 

Expect lackluster WOM

It might be like that over in the UK and I feel the same way that you do but I can honestly say the general response here in North America has been in overwhelmingly positive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I disagree, like at work I have male colleagues and think all of them apart from one is a SW fan and the one who is not knows Darth Vader and such is lol.

Here in north America if you make male friends, its a very high chance they are Star War fans to some level. :P

Yes unfortunately you live under a rock if Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader doesn't ring a bell, I'm a star wars fan by your criteria by the way. Watched them all, enjoyed the first 6 (NOT TFA) and know all the quotes/memes. People who have seen the films and those who say I love the films are two different things!

By the way just a side thought, the biggest marketing campaign of all time, 30 years of nostalgia, everyone knows sws.

Are we looking at TFA's success from the wrong angle, wouldn't it have been an embarrassment if it didn't break North American records? After all Star Wars is engraved into their very being at a young age just like religion.

EDIT: Don't forget the Marketing though, that was ridiculous, BB8 Oranges from the grocery store anyone?

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Saturday will drop huge from friday. So it will struggle to gross that much friday to tuesday. Plus with big openers tend to burn off demand. TFA had extraordinary weekdays and we started seeing predictions of 180-200m 2nd weekend. It did not come close. This based on even Imax not selling out early will see less spillover business. It will slow down for sure.

then it increases by 100% on Sunday and stays flat on Monday.

I think you guys need to look at 2011, the 24th falling on a Saturday did not ruin the box office of the films that year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It looks like Saturday might be even higher than $46.5m and Moana isn't getting anywhere near $13.5m, likely a lot closer to $11m for the weekend.  

I''ve been bearish on Moana all along. Some still have it finishing where Frozen did. They have charts with "trajectories" showing it on pace to do so. 

In contrast, my ample gut tells me there's just no buzz about Moana that approaches Frozen.