WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

Everyone is making their predictions for next year. To them, I say, "So what?" Are they predicting every single wide release? No, but I am. That's right; I'm predicting every single weekend of 2017! I will go in-depth on my predictions and explain my predictions in detail (when it's warranted :ph34r: ). The countdown begins soon, so get ready to argue with me! Some notes:

I will not be counting wide expansions from 2016 in the final yearly gross but will do write-ups on them.

When I talk about trailer views, they will be based off of the most-viewed YT video unless otherwise noted.

• Like 5

January 6:

Hidden Figures: This movie has only been out for a day in 25 theaters, yet it’s already grossed a little under 1M! The movie should continue to draw families across the country and have a good run. 20/90 (4.5x)

A Monster Calls: I really don’t get what Focus did with this release. The movie is opening months after it has been released overseas, and it’s not like this is a cheap direct-to-DVD movie either. The movie bombed in its limited release this past weekend, so I’m not expecting much when it goes wide. Hell, who knows if it’s even getting 1,500 theaters anymore. 2/4 (2x)

Underworld: Blood Wars: Does anyone even care about this franchise anymore? The movie has been performing fine overseas, but it was released during a weak period for them. Underworld is coming out for the US in the midst of Christmas holdovers and expanding Oscar contenders. It’ll attract fans of the series and fall apart quickly. 15/35 (2.33x)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

January 6:

Hidden Figures: This movie has only been out for a day in 25 theaters, yet it’s already grossed a little under 1M! The movie should continue to draw families across the country and have a good run. 20/90 (4.5x)

A Monster Calls: I really don’t get what Focus did with this release. The movie is opening months after it has been released overseas, and it’s not like this is a cheap direct-to-DVD movie either. The movie bombed in its limited release this past weekend, so I’m not expecting much when it goes wide. Hell, who knows if it’s even getting 1,500 theaters anymore. 2/4 (2x)

Underworld: Blood Wars: Does anyone even care about this franchise anymore? The movie has been performing fine overseas, but it was released during a weak period for them. Underworld is coming out for the US in the midst of Christmas holdovers and expanding Oscar contenders. It’ll attract fans of the series and fall apart quickly. 15/35 (2.33x)

I think Hidden Figures is a bit too high, A Monster Calls is low (especially where multiplier is concerned), and underworld is about right, maybe a bit higher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

is the controversial element the fact that you self-describe it as controversial? because lmao to that.

:kitschjob:

You'll see. Everyone will see.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Hidden Figures is a bit too high, A Monster Calls is low (especially where multiplier is concerned), and underworld is about right, maybe a bit higher.

I actually had Hidden Figures at 15/70, but I raised it after the strong performance yesterday.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

:kitschjob:

You'll see. Everyone will see.

unless you say something like "wonder woman won't do well because the lead is a woman and who needs that right now?" or something, i'm guessing you're exaggerating the controversy of it.

• Like 8

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

unless you say something like "wonder woman won't do well because the lead is a woman and who needs that right now?" or something, i'm guessing you're exaggerating the controversy of it.

Nothing like that ( :ph34r: ), but there's certainly some predictions people are going to laugh at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I already laughed at 2/4 for A Monster Calls :redcapes:.

I mean, ok you're predicting floppage for it.  But seriously, a 2x multiplier?  With pretty damn good reviews?

Theaters are going to reduce its showtimes to one a day when it grosses that little regardless of reception

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

January 6:

Whew boy, hard to get more controversial than that Hidden Figures prediction. I predict 200+ pages of flame wars from your Monster Trucks predict alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theaters are going to reduce its showtimes to one a day when it grosses that little regardless of reception

I also doubt a 2M opening as well.  In fact, I think at least 5M is going to happen.  It doesn't really seem like a film the indie crowds will eat up tbh

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

January 6:

OIc8DRk.gif