WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

John Wick I completely agree with, $75m is a great boost from a well-liked original without being Austin Powers/Pitch Perfect-level insane.

50 Shades will do something like $50m opening weekend, IMO, and claw its way to $100m. $400m+ worldwide is definitely possible, though. That OS performance for the first one was one of the most impressive I've seen in the past few years.

LEGO Batman will be huge, but legs will be pretty weak. I could see something like $100m/$300m for it. 

Where are these 100m OW / 300m+ DOM predictions for LEGO Batman coming from?

I don't even think an opening weekend / DOM Total over The LEGO Movie is any guarantee at all.  In fact I think its target should be something like 60m / 215m.

These are crazy.

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

John Wick I completely agree with, $75m is a great boost from a well-liked original without being Austin Powers/Pitch Perfect-level insane.

50 Shades will do something like $50m opening weekend, IMO, and claw its way to $100m. $400m+ worldwide is definitely possible, though. That OS performance for the first one was one of the most impressive I've seen in the past few years.

LEGO Batman will be huge, but legs will be pretty weak. I could see something like $100m/$300m for it. 

Any particular reason for why you think LEGO Batman's legs will be weak? I was thinking a run similar to The LEGO Movie, $70m/$250m?

15 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Any particular reason for why you think LEGO Batman's legs will be weak? I was thinking a run similar to The LEGO Movie, $70m/$250m?

Eh, mostly because of the March stampede. There's not too much demo competition until Beauty and the Beast a month after it comes out, but the amount of big releases coming out is going to butcher its screen count, IMO.

And yeah, $300m+ should not be the bar for success, and I doubt anyone over at WB will be displeased with $200m domestic, it's just that Batman being Batman makes me think it will gross higher. Idk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Eh, mostly because of the March stampede. There's not too much demo competition until Beauty and the Beast a month after it comes out, but the amount of big releases coming out is going to butcher its screen count, IMO.

And yeah, $300m+ should not be the bar for success, and I doubt anyone over at WB will be displeased with $200m domestic, it's just that Batman being Batman makes me think it will gross higher. Idk.

Yeah, March is a murderers' row this year, but I think it will keep its screen count as the only true kids fare for a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La La Panda said:

I don't even think an opening weekend / DOM Total over The LEGO Movie is any guarantee at all.  In fact I think its target should be something like 60m / 215m.

These are crazy.

LEGO: 69m OW, 258m DOM.

TDKR: 161m OW, 448m DOM.

Average: 115m OW, 353m DOM

3 hours ago, La La Panda said:

These are crazy.

Are they, though? The Lego Movie was a crazy hit, fuckin' BATMAN - the most well liked character of TLM, for the matter - is the star of this one (and, other than the original Lego Movie, no major theatrical release with Batman in it since TDK has done less than 300M - Lego still came close at 250), it's a four quadrant movie (unlike Fifty Shades or John Wick), it'll have been two months since the last animated family film (Sing), and it has no competition until Beauty And The Beast.

Just saying.

• Like 3

Why so much vitriol from you guys? So what if wrathofhan says there will be controversy? Its his thread and if you dont want to read it then stay out of it but dont ridicule him mob style like a bunch bullies. Man some of u guys are being jerks.

• Like 4

I like your Batman prediction, I see it going over BVS myself. Funny to see that one seems to be the most controversial so far and yet it seems very realistic to me.

Double your Resident Evil prediction.

Fifty Shades is doing similar numbers to the first one.

Edited by Arlborn