Mockingjay Raphael

Horror 2017

With IT being released this week, and being expected to generate blockbuster numbers, I wonder if this smash hit will help Horror's image in Hollywood, on the same way that The Hangover did for R Comedies? 

JFYI: We're going to have FOUR Horror movies in the top 15 of most profitable movies of year.

I wonder if we're going to get more Horror blockbusters in the next years, what do you guys think? 

I'd hate to be any horror movie being released for the rest of the year, everything is going to get overshadowed by IT. "Oh that ONLY opened with $40 million?". Unless we get another $100 million opener but how likely is that?

I wonder when we'll start to see the effects of ITs box office success on the genre. I hope it leads to more movies with a bit of money behind them. Also less studios forcing the creative team into a PG-13 rating (we've had 3 R rated horror flicks cross the $100 million mark this year, studios should stop toning down their talent).

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'd hate to be any horror movie being released for the rest of the year, everything is going to get overshadowed by IT. "Oh that ONLY opened with $40 million?". Unless we get another $100 million opener but how likely is that?

I wonder when we'll start to see the effects of ITs box office success on the genre. I hope it leads to more movies with a bit of money behind them. Also less studios forcing the creative team into a PG-13 rating (we've had 3 R rated horror flicks cross the $100 million mark this year, studios should stop toning down their talent).

4 R rated, if we count "Split".

On 9/3/2017 at 6:23 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

With IT being released this week, and being expected to generate blockbuster numbers, I wonder if this smash hit will help Horror's image in Hollywood, on the same way that The Hangover did for R Comedies? 

JFYI: We're going to have FOUR Horror movies in the top 15 of most profitable movies of year.

I wonder if we're going to get more Horror blockbusters in the next years, what do you guys think? 

Blockbusters? no.  More horror films?  Yes

I think what will happen is they will see again that horror films are incredibly profitable so they will make as many as they can and run it into the ground, as Hollywood usually does when something becomes popular.

There will still be good horror films out there and some will get the "blockbuster" treatment, but I don't see them going majorly in that direction.

Hopefully I'm wrong though

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think the PG13 problem disappeared about 5 years ago. The Conjuring, Purge etc. 

Haven't heard of many horrors being deliberately cut down to get a PG13. 

It happens more now before the movie is filmed, I've read interviews with directors who where complaining about being forced to make a PG-13 movie even though it was written as a hard R. The producers of Ouija said the reason it was PG-13 was because of the massive success of The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity and stated R rated horror films won't make that kind of money. They subsequently deleted the tweets as soon as it was pointed out that The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity are R rated.

Edited by Boxofficerules
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

It happens more now before the movie is filmed, I've read interviews with directors who where complaining about being forced to make a PG-23 movie even though it was written as a hard R. The producers of Ouija said the reason it was PG-13 was because of the massive success of The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity and stated R rated horror films won't make that kind of money. They subsequently deleted the tweets as soon as it was pointed out that The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity are R rated.

I cant think of any recent examples. 

That Ouija one sounds like Universals error. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I cant think of any recent examples. 

That Ouija one sounds like Universals error. 

The Boy was one, there is an interviews where the director goes on a rant about it claiming he felt like he was making the movie with both hands tied behind his back. He would have loved to make the intense film that was planned but it wasn't to be.

The director of The Final Girls said he was furious at being forced into a PG13 (was originally supposed to be a very hard R) and fought tooth and nail with everyone in order to keep it R rated.

15 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Boy was one, there is an interviews where the director goes on a rant about it claiming he felt like he was making the movie with both hands tied behind his back. He would have loved to make the intense film that was planned but it wasn't to be.

The director of The Final Girls said he was furious at being forced into a PG13 (was originally supposed to be a very hard R) and fought tooth and nail with everyone in order to keep it R rated.

Hmm that is strange. Didn't STX acquire The Boy from a smaller production company? The Final Girls was straight to home video was it not? 

I think this was more of a problem 10 years ago. Prom Night being the prime example of a major studio neutering a *slasher* film just for PG13. 

33 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Don't bother. It's trash.

Best thing I can say about it is at least its better than 3D. That twist though. Who couldn't see that coming from a mile away ? Plus in my opinion it ruins the character. The TCM movies aren't known for their continuity but I mean. From what I hear Cult of Chucky is going to be way better. 

Edited by Rman823

On 9/12/2017 at 9:25 AM, Boxofficerules said:

And at the end of day, both Universal and STX were absolutely right turning Ouija and The Boy into PG13 movies, otherwise, they would’ve bombed on the same way that Friends Request is bombing right now without the support of teens.

These bad directors should be thankfully for the PG13 ratting allowing them to keep getting work, since I doubt that adult audiences would show up for their awful movies like teens do.

Happy Death Day will be another PG13 smash, there’s space to every type of movie.