Blankments

2017 100M Films - 33 down, 3 to go! (Pitchslapped!)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Weak as fuck.  I stayed super fucking hyped for Valerian all the way up until I saw it Thursday night and I had to deal with shit regarding that film far longer than you've had to.

It's just so fucking annoying how some users are hyping up mother! to be a big flop. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The 22 we have/will have

23. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

24. The LEGO Ninjago Movie

25. Blade Runner 2049

26. Thor: Ragnarok

27. Murder on the Orient Express

28. Justice League

29. Coco

30. The Shape of Water

31. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

32. Pitch Perfect 3

33. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

34. The Papers

This is gonna be close.

These are not locked IMO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:
  1. Split
  2. The Lego Batman Movie
  3. Fifty Shades Darker
  4. Get Out
  5. Logan
  6. Kong: Skull Island
  7. Beauty And The Beast
  8. The Boss Baby
  9. The Fate Of The Furious
  10. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
  12. Wonder Woman
  13. Cars 3
  14. Transformers: The Last Knight
  15. Baby Driver
  16. Despicable Me 3
  17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  18. War For The Planet Of The Apes
  19. Dunkirk
  20. Girls Trip
  21. Annabelle: Creation (not there yet but pretty much a lock)
  22. It
  23. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  24. The Lego Ninjago Movie
  25. Blade Runner 2049
  26. Thor: Ragnarok
  27. A Bad Moms Christmas
  28. Daddy's Home 2
  29. Murder On The Orient Express
  30. Justice League
  31. Coco
  32. The Disaster Artist
  33. The Shape Of Water
  34. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  35. Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle (if Baywatch didn't cross 100M, this is not a safe bet anymore either)
  36. Pitch Perfect 3
  37. The Post
  38. The Greatest Showman

Wildcards (aka potential 100M crossers) in italic. The record can be beaten, but it will be very close.

Baywatch has a great cast but the bloody luridness, the gratuitous extreme nudity and the extreme gross out jokes are not there in the original TV series.

Audience just tuned out. But Jumanji looks to be the typical big family movie GA is expecting during the Holidays

37 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Baywatch has a great cast but the bloody luridness, the gratuitous extreme nudity and the extreme gross out jokes are not there in the original TV series.

Audience just tuned out. But Jumanji looks to be the typical big family movie GA is expecting during the Holidays

I understand why it underperformed, I just thought before Summer season that it was a safe bet to do 100M and it didn't. So I'm not putting my eggs on Jumanji's basket yet.

3 hours ago, zackzack said:

Audience just tuned out.

It isn't just *one* reason why Baywatch underperformed. There's a whole list of reasons. Things that weren't there in the original TV series could have brought in those that weren't fans of the series a la 21 Jump Street. They just weren't the right things.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Baywatch flopping means nothing for Jumanji. Kevin Hart is obviously a much bigger draw than Zac Efron (having Jack Black and Nebula in tow won't hurt either), plus it'll be the alternative choice for families that have already seen The Last Jedi over the holidays like Daddy's Home was for The Force Awakens.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Baywatch flopping means nothing for Jumanji. Kevin Hart is obviously a much bigger draw than Zac Efron (having Jack Black and Nebula in tow won't hurt either), plus it'll be the alternative choice for families that have already seen The Last Jedi over the holidays like Daddy's Home was for The Force Awakens.

It's really more the concept and execution than star power. If you swapped out Kevin Hart for Zac Efron in Jumanji, would there really be much difference?

Edited by Jay Beezy

4 hours ago, zackzack said:

These are not locked IMO

I would have to disagree on The Papers Post. If it has really good wom, it's absolutely 100% guaranteed. Spielberg + Hanks (in a bankable role for him) + Streep + Oscar buzz + January wide release = gold combo. And Blade Runner, while I do agree that it isn't a lock, I would surely call it a solid bet, as it has strong hype (well, from the internet fandoms), two profitable stars (Harrison Ford and post-La La Land Ryan Gosling), a profitable director (selling this movie as from the director of Arrival can do it some wonders), and zero competition throughout October. It may take a stumble 2nd weekend, but it can leg it out from that point onwards.

Regarding MOTOE and Shape Of Water, I think they can be awards buzz wildcards in the same way as Arrival, Hidden Figures and La La Land were in the 16/17 range. Murder is based on Agatha Christie's most famous novel, it has a stellar - if not quite starpower driven - cast, a fantastic director and is being released on the Arrival slot; and to my knowledge, the adult mystery thriller audience will be all to itself throughout the holidays, so it can absolutely leg it out to 100M. And Shape Of Water has a VERY audience/mainstream friendly plot that could have strong female appeal due to its tearjerker romance-type nature, and can also bring a small percentage of the fanboy audience due to Guillermo Del Toro. It's a total guess, but if Fox nails its expansion plans, they can have a huge hit in hands.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I would have to disagree on The Papers Post. If it has really good wom, it's absolutely 100% guaranteed. Spielberg + Hanks (in a bankable role for him) + Streep + Oscar buzz + January wide release = gold combo. And Blade Runner, while I do agree that it isn't a lock, I would surely call it a solid bet, as it has strong hype (well, from the internet fandoms), two profitable stars (Harrison Ford and post-La La Land Ryan Gosling), a profitable director (selling this movie as from the director of Arrival can do it some wonders), and zero competition throughout October. It may take a stumble 2nd weekend, but it can leg it out from that point onwards.

Regarding MOTOE and Shape Of Water, I think they can be awards buzz wildcards in the same way as Arrival, Hidden Figures and La La Land were in the 16/17 range. Murder is based on Agatha Christie's most famous novel, it has a stellar - if not quite starpower driven - cast, a fantastic director and is being released on the Arrival slot; and to my knowledge, the adult mystery thriller audience will be all to itself throughout the holidays, so it can absolutely leg it out to 100M. And Shape Of Water has a VERY audience/mainstream friendly plot that could have strong female appeal due to its tearjerker romance-type nature, and can also bring a small percentage of the fanboy audience due to Guillermo Del Toro. It's a total guess, but if Fox nails its expansion plans, they can have a huge hit in hands.

The Post went back to The Papers :lol: 

500M

1. Beauty and the Beast - May 28

400M

1. Beauty and the Beast – April 4
  2. Wonder Woman - August 8

300M

1. Beauty and the Beast – March 26
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 21
  3. Wonder Woman - June 23
  4. Spider-Man: Homecoming - August 10

200M

1. Beauty and the Beast – March 21
  2. Logan – March 26
  3. The Fate of the Furious - May 5
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 13
  5. Wonder Woman - June 11
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming - July 16
  7. Despicable Me 3 - July 20
  8. It - September 16

100M

1. Split - February 7
  2. The LEGO Batman Movie - February 20
  3. Fifty Shades Darker – February 25
  4. Logan – March 7
  5. Get Out – March 11
  6. Beauty and the Beast – March 18
  7. Kong: Skull Island – March 18
  8. The Boss Baby – April 13
  9. The Fate of the Furious - April 17
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 6
  11. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - June 3
  12. Wonder Woman - June 4
  13. Cars 3 - June 26
  14. Transformers: The Last Knight - July 2
  15. Despicable Me 3 - July 5
  16. Spider-Man: Homecoming - July 9
  17. War for the Planet of the Apes - July 24
  18. Dunkirk - July 30
  19. Baby Driver - August 13
  20. Girls Trip - August 17
  21. It - September 10
  • Like 1

22: Annabelle

23: Kingsman

24: Ninjago

25: Blade Runner

26: Thor

27: Bad Moms

28: Justice League

29: Murder On Orient Express

30: Coco

31: Star Wars

32: Pitch Perfect 3

33: Jumanji

Potenfials but we"ll see: Daddy's Home 2, Happy Death Day, Downsizing, Showman, and that Speilberg/Hanks film although I see that doing Bridge Of Spies numbers.