DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

Just now, franfar said:

The movies that are opening suck. That's it.

Patriots Day?

But it isn't that MT bombed here. It did 10M last night (or our equivalent. That's higher than Storks, slightly higher than Moana for its opening Friday). 

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Ben Affleck's career as a director now after the strong run he had going for him. First he made a strong debut with Gone Baby Gone, a critical hit that made little at the box office but got some nominations and found a following on DVD. Then he struck with a critical and box office hit that also got some nominations with The Town. Then he got a critical and box office hit that would not only also got nominations but won Best Picture with Argo. And he follows it up with...Live by Night, a critical flop and an even bigger box office bomb. Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of a downturn.

Affleck will be fine, i suspect he will still get directing gigs but he will learn with Live by Night not to juggle too many tasks. 

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Patriots Day?

But it isn't that MT bombed here. It did 10M last night (or our equivalent. That's higher than Storks, slightly higher than Moana for its opening Friday). 

Patriot's Day is tasteless. 

Unter den 6 Starts/Expansionen mit Kosten von zusammen $312 Mio. setzt sich am Freitag die billigste durch ($7 Mio.)

means:

within 6 starts / expansions with a budget of together $321m the cheapest to do/produce ($7m) pushed through at Friday

:D

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Patriots Day?

Maybe the people in your city look less into US reviews/social media buzz/ or...? Went in more for the kids or so?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

As someone who's seen it I can say it's far from tasteless. 

I'm referring to the timing of it. Maybe the content isn't, but they made a movie about a tragedy that wasn't that long ago, that I'm sure is in the memories of a lot of people who don't want to relive it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

I'm referring to the timing of it. Maybe the content isn't, but they made a movie about a tragedy that wasn't that long ago, that I'm sure is in the memories of a lot of people who don't want to relive it.

I doubt its more tasteless than most Oscar Clickbait 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

passengers is quickly losing its advantage over TGWTD from 2011 for the same period, might not break $100m

It had the best hold of the Christmas holdovers. Should be at 90m after this weekend and probably 94-95m after next weekend. I don't see how it misses 100m unless it starts have really bad drops.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

The way I see it is if they can have actual people who went through it be able to talk about their experience then people should be able to get over the timing and understand the movie is a tribute to those involved and not just a cash grab on the events. But I understand some people are more sensitive to stuff like that. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm surprised Lordmandeep is defending Patriot's Day given the BO performance of it. I thought he hated any movie that grossed under 200 million. 

I'm stunned that he compared the movie to typical "Oscar bait." 

• Like 2

Of course the film is tasteless to those who are impacted by the events considering many of the people impacted speak in the film at the end. 

However it does not mean the film or a comparable film like United 93 is a bad film by default.

Watching a film is a choice, and there are many Oscar/award films that are very hard hitting about sensitive and difficult issues that likely provoke a similar response as being tasteless by some.

My point being I dont see why Patriot Day deserves 'special scorn' for being tasteless...

To Cmasterclay I may not enjoy films like La La Land (which will likely do over 200 million WW likely lol) but that does not make me some uncultured brute who only likes MMA and Football. I see many of the award films and most are good sometimes and some dont deserve all the attention but that is my opinion to have. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Of course the film is tasteless to those who are impacted by the events considering many of the people impacted speak in the film at the end. 

However it does not mean the film or a comparable film like United 93 is a bad film by default.

Watching a film is a choice, and there are many Oscar/award films that are very hard hitting about sensitive and difficult issues that likely provoke a similar response as being tasteless by some.

My point being I dont see why Patriot Day deserves 'special scorn' for being tasteless...

To Cmasterclay I may not enjoy films like La La Land (which will likely do over 200 million WW likely lol) but that does not make me some uncultured brute who only likes MMA and Football. I see many of the award films and most are good sometimes and some dont deserve all the attention but that is my opinion to have. 

You may very well, great! But if that's true, maybe you have compiled over 20,000 posts complaining about how stupid liberal elites only like pretentious shit and "real" people hate stupid SJWS and their non-blockbuster movies, so pardon me for being confused. 

Also, I like MMA, and am skipping a movie this afternoon to watch the football game. Stop being a victim and generalizing. The whole anti-"snob", anti-intelligence bullcrap has gone too far. It's possible to love sports and also be able to enjoy a movie like Moonlight way more than Fantastic Sky Beam Hunt 3. 

• Like 2