Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

Silence is just a real hard sell. Its audience basically comprised of a selective few of us movie fanatics and Tele's people (a dying breed).

I'm just glad I had the chance to catch it in theater once. 

• Like 9

yes silence really has that vibe of these real auteur epics that folks were doing in the 1970s before heaven's gate killed them all. kinda awesome to see today. it's total bombage guarantees that shit is never gonna pass again.

• Like 2

Just now, Treecraft said:

um, you're the one who is suggesting that the rebels stealing the Death Star plans is an analogy for Barack Obama deleting databases of Muslims. even though this story was first created 40 years ago.

The question was whether it was relevant to current events.

Verhoeven's Starship Troopers was relevant to 9-11 and the War on Terror even though it came out around four years prior.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The question was whether it was relevant to current events.

Verhoeven's Starship Troopers was relevant to 9-11 and the War on Terror even though it came out around four years prior.

Oh sorry, I must have misread you. I thought you were talking about films that have 'messages'. 

And yes, Starship Troopers is an excellent example of a film being relevant to the real world post-release.

• Like 1

top playdates, its all about NY

1-Regal Union Square, NYC        (LLL)
2-AMC Empire 25, NYC            (Split)
3-AMC Lincoln Squ, NYC            (LLL)
4-AMC Empire 25, NYC            (RETFC)
5-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ        (Split)
6-AMC Burbank                 (Split)
7-St Palladium, San Antonio TX        (Split)
8-Regal Laufman Astoria NY        (split)
9-Regal Union Square, NYC        (NF)
10-Regal Deer Park NY            (Split)
11-AMC Fresh Meadow NY            (Split)
12-AMC 84th St, NYC            (Split)
13-AMC Bay Plaza Bronx NY        (Split)
14-CS Warren , Moore OK            (Split)
15-Regal Sheepshead , Brooklyn NY    (Split)
16-Regal Union Square, NYC        (Split)

Top Canada
1-CPLX Silvercity Brampton ON (Raees), 2-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgaray AB (Split), 3-CPLX Queenway Etobicoke ON (Split), 4-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto (Split), 5-CPLX Courtney Park Mississauga ON (Raees)

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Fifty Shades Rth said:

top playdates, its all about NY

1-Regal Union Square, NYC        (LLL)
2-AMC Empire 25, NYC            (Split)
3-AMC Lincoln Squ, NYC            (LLL)
4-AMC Empire 25, NYC            (RETFC)
5-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ        (Split)
6-AMC Burbank                 (Split)
7-St Palladium, San Antonio TX        (Split)
8-Regal Laufman Astoria NY        (split)
9-Regal Union Square, NYC        (NF)
10-Regal Deer Park NY            (Split)
11-AMC Fresh Meadow NY            (Split)
12-AMC 84th St, NYC            (Split)
13-AMC Bay Plaza Bronx NY        (Split)
14-CS Warren , Moore OK            (Split)
15-Regal Sheepshead , Brooklyn NY    (Split)
16-Regal Union Square, NYC        (Split)

Top Canada
1-CPLX Silvercity Brampton ON (Raees), 2-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgaray AB (Split), 3-CPLX Queenway Etobicoke ON (Split), 4-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto (Split), 5-CPLX Courtney Park Mississauga ON (Raees)

Hey, for #9 is says (NF) for Regal Union Square...  Is it supposed to be HIdden Figures?  Also, I was looking at this theater on Fandango http://www.fandango.com/regalunionsquarestadium14_aajnk/theaterpage?date=1/31/2017

Wow at the price for 4DX Resident Evil?  I am guessing it came close to making an appearance too?

I am very happy Resident Evil made this list.  I think I might move to New York someday by AMC Empire 25 just so I can go to sold out screenings for films like Resident Evil 6.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

yes silence really has that vibe of these real auteur epics that folks were doing in the 1970s before heaven's gate killed them all. kinda awesome to see today. it's total bombage guarantees that shit is never gonna pass again.

I'm sure we'll still be seeing them even if not consistently. A type of movie, no matter what, doesn't just die to be never heard from again, and quality and subject matter aside something like The Revenant was made in essentially the same uncompromising auteurist '70s spectacle mode, in fact it was specifically reminiscent of Heaven's Gate in several ways except it was lucky to have DiCaprio so it was huge. Films like The New World, There Will Be Blood, The Hateful Eight all broadly fall under the same umbrella, and then there's smaller-scale stuff like The Immigrant which is very '70s. As long as a filmmaker with a certain amount of clout and luck and resourcefulness wants to do something like this it'll get done, even if not nearly as often as we'd like it to.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 4

Silence is going to gross around €2m in Spain, that's really good for the kind of movie it is (it's distributed by a specialty distributor that rarely scores this big). So the film is finding an audience, even if it's not a big one. And I'm sure it will keep being discovered in years to come. 

It was one of my favorite films of the year. Scorsese is a living treasure, can't wait for his next one. I hope he pulls a Manoel de Oliveira and keeps making films until his 90s.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2