kayumanggi

WHITE BOY RICK | Sep 14 18 | Sony | Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Empathy. It's what I believe to be the key to being effective as an artist in any medium, and it's what's making me excited for this film. No film should outright glamorize depraved lifestyles, and I'm glad to know that this one isn't willing to do that either. This one just earned a place on my radar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dude's just been making some bad post-Oscar choices (Interstellar doesn't count because it was shot pre-Oscar). It happens.

Yeah. it's the oscar curse. but i thought that only happened to actresses. 

Anyway, I thought he was kinda miscast in Interstellar. I just didn't buy him as an astronaut

16 minutes ago, Alli said:

Yeah. it's the oscar curse. but i thought that only happened to actresses. 

Anyway, I thought he was kinda miscast in Interstellar. I just didn't buy him as an astronaut

I think more importantly he played a very believable father.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Dude's just been making some bad post-Oscar choices (Interstellar doesn't count because it was shot pre-Oscar). It happens.

Regardless of the choice, still have been unlucky in how they turn outs.

White Boy Rick, Free State of Jones (Gary Ross), Sea of trees (Gus Van San), Dark Tower, are all the worst reviewed movie of their respective director filmography I think.

I imagine that part of it is in good part how hard it is to be a lead of movies with a good chance of wide distribution and going for good commercial result + needing good reception to do so on a constant basis, in the last 20 year's there is many people with somewhat long string of disappointment either critically or commercially. Specially if you do not have the first pick for the giant budget giant director movie like Dicaprio.

Is current run is not too different than many other lead actor, obviously there is Fassbender but Clooney since The Descandant, Damon has only the Martian has a good Damon lead movie in a very long time, Brad Pitt since maybe going back as far as Moneyball ? Hugh Jackman has no non franchise green movie on metacritic since Prisonner and didn't had a green movie between 2006 and 2012.

If Bradley Cooper does not create a good role for himself how long is post American Sniper dry run would have been ?

Last good will Smith lead movie ? Arguably more than 10 year's ago. Since 2013, a Christian Bale lead movie that worked financially ?

4-5 year's without any movie working is common enough among lead actor, to not require some Oscar curse explanation.

• Like 1