CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, boomboom234 said:

This kind of knee jerk reaction is a problem having a problem with one film winning is not racist just because the film is a black film. I loved 12 Years A Slave and was happy it won. And I hated Crash and rather Brokeback Mountain won, but in this context, Moonlight seems to be a forced winner to fit a narrative.

12 Years A Slave, A SLAVE, sis, is a film about fucking slavery. If any of these two was to fit a narrative, it would be the film about slavery because of white guilt. Nice try.

Second of all, I am glad you loved 12 Years A Slave, good for you.

Moonlight won due to its own accord of being a beautiful, moving, powerful, and well-made film, end of story.

1Ln9bIX.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

This kind of knee jerk reaction is a problem having a problem with one film winning is not racist just because the film is a black film. I loved 12 years a slave and was happy it won and I hated crash and rather brokeback mountain won but in this context Moonlight seems to be a forced winner to fit a narrative

According to who, though?

Here is one of the more revered directors on the internet talking about it:

Intimacy is Jenkins’ accomplishment. But, what we’re intimate with is another consciousness so totally and truthfully created, that we’re looking outward and inward simultaneously. That’s why Jenkins’ work is profound. Chiron is us and we are him, asking our self, “Who am I? Where do I fit?”

Jenkins gets wonderful performances from a superb cast. He builds a narrative out of three stages of a boy-into-man with masterful choices of how to “get in late and get out early” to magically achieve the intense cohesion of a singular story. But, put that aside because “Moonlight” has a power and beauty that transcends. It is art. We are seeing the first major work of a brilliant director.

That is not the words of someone thinking about a forced winner at all.

• Like 8

Just now, Rey said:

Really wish Jessica had won by now, sigh.

And what do you mean by slump, sis? The lack of hits and roles after slaying for a while?

Pretty much, yeah. Amy Adams seems to be in a bit of one right now herself given that she hasn't figured into the Oscar race since 2013 after scoring five nominations over eight years. That shouldn't last for much longer, though.

Just woke up. OMG!!!

This would have been one of the biggest upsets even without the mix-up. A lot of oscar predictors will brag that they somehow called it but really after neither Moonlight nor Manchester won SAG everyone thought this race was over. Apparently not.

I've watched the video 5 times already, the moment is truly crazy. It was super uncomfortable for both movie teams but they both handled it very good. Moonlight will get some "it was just a political choice" dismissals but it can take it. I think this years lineup is easily one of the best this decade, both LLL and Moonlight will not be forgotten.

I'm also very happy about all the acting winners but especially for Affleck. Stone, Ali, Viola all had pretty strong winning narratives. Affleck didn't and he also had an old scandal that people were whispering about throughout the award season. He simply won by giving the best performance of the year. That's rare.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much, yeah. Amy Adams seems to be in a bit of one right now herself given that she hasn't figured into the Oscar race since 2013 after scoring five nominations over eight years. That shouldn't last for much longer, though.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I understand.

I really wanted to catch A Most Violent Year and Miss Sloane, a shame I haven't yet.

I hope she lands some more roles because she is really talented.

Yeah, I think Amy will be fine, especially with this consensus her time is due and she is one of the greats of this time.

I hope people aren't seriously fucking implying that anytime black people win awards it's because white people feel sorry for them and it's an act of sympathy and political pandering, and not because they truly deserve it... a few of these posts in this thread are edging towards that. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Just woke up. OMG!!!

This would have been one of the biggest upsets even without the mix-up. A lot of oscar predictors will brag that they somehow called it but really after neither Moonlight nor Manchester won SAG everyone thought this race was over. Apparently not.

I've watched the video 5 times already, the moment is truly crazy. It was super uncomfortable for both movie teams but they both handled it very good. Moonlight will get some "it was just a political choice" dismissals but it can take it. I think this years lineup is easily one of the best this decade, both LLL and Moonlight will not be forgotten.

I'm also very happy about all the acting winners but especially for Affleck. Stone, Ali, Viola all had pretty strong winning narratives. Affleck didn't and he also had an old scandal that people were whispering about throughout the award season. He simply won by giving the best performance of the year. That's rare.

Yikes.

j0cp9ZA.gif

19 minutes ago, Rey said:

Oh, okay. Yeah, I understand.

I really wanted to catch A Most Violent Year and Miss Sloane, a shame I haven't yet.

I hope she lands some more roles because she is really talented.

Yeah, I think Amy will be fine, especially with this consensus her time is due and she is one of the greats of this time.

I remember when JChas tweeted about Miss Sloane after Trump won with the hashtag artimitateslife and I was like, ew. Yuck. 

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

One thing's for sure, this is going to be one of those "you HAD to be there" moments for any film fan.

It really is the most batshit crazy moment that I've ever seen at an Oscar show. And I've been watching the Oscars every year since Driving Miss Daisy won.

• Like 5