FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i usually don't see the anime in cinemas lest i be trapped in a room with blue haired fat guys with facial piercings but on the authority of THIS FORUM i went to see that one cos it was apparently the best in years or something. was seething through it.

What's so bad about it?

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

What's so bad about it?

i just think people give an easy pass to contrived, maudlin drama when it's in an anime. i'll admit i didnt hate the standard freaky friday stuff at the start but the melodrama of the third act is totally ridiculous and unearned. and suddenly it has to turn into a roland emmerich disaster movie as well? why? stupid!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just think people give an easy pass to contrived, maudlin drama when it's in an anime. i'll admit i didnt hate the standard freaky friday stuff at the start but the melodrama of the third act is totally ridiculous and unearned. and suddenly it has to turn into a roland emmerich disaster movie as well? why? stupid!

You have to admit that the Roland Emmerich disaster movie element was foreshadowed clearly.

22 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Your Name is genuinely evocative and a stark reminder of how distinct and unique culture the Japanese one really is. 

That's not really the reason why I'd say Your Name is a good movie.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You have to admit that the Roland Emmerich disaster movie element was foreshadowed clearly.

ok fine, you're right. it's garbage but at least they warned us it was gonna be garbage, i guess.

• Like 1

top playdates

Top playdates 5-Mar

1-AMC Empire 25, NYC              (Logan)
2-AMC Burbank                (Logan)
3-Pac Arclight Hollywood            (Logan)
4-Regal Kaufman Astoria NY        (Logan)
5-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC        (Logan)
6-AMC Garden State Paramus NJ        (Logan)
7-AMC Orange 30 , CA            (Logan)
8-Regal Irvine Spectrum, Irvine CA     (Logan)
9-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA    (Logan)
10-AMc Puente Hills 20, Industry CA    (Logan)
11-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA    (GO)
12-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto         (Logan)
(Combined with Yonge &Dundas #2)
13-AMC Tysons Corner,Mclean VA        (Logan)
14-ST Pallasdium , San Antonio TX    (Logan)
15-Regal Ontario Palace, Ontario CA    (Logan)
(Combined with Ontario Mills be #1)
16-Regal Sheepshead, Brooklyn NY    (Logan)
17-Regal New Roc City, New Rochelle NY     (Logan)
18-AMC Metreon San fRancisco        (Logan)
19-AMc Citywalk, Universal City CA    (Logan)
20-Regal LA Live            (Logan)

Top Canada
1-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto (Logan), 2-CPLX cinema Banque Montreal (Logan), 3-CPMX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary (Logan), 4-CPLX Queensway Etobicoke ON (Logan), 5-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver (Logan)

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i usually don't see the anime in cinemas lest i be trapped in a room with blue haired fat guys with facial piercings but on the authority of THIS FORUM i went to see that one cos it was apparently the best in years or something. was seething through it.

Well, anime is like whiskey or dark chocolate, some people love it, others hate it. I thought that it was great and I have never dyed my hair or had any body piercing done. 

On another note, why is Universal consistently underestimating Get Out's incredible numbers? That was an epic hold, just a 15% decline. Logan was also significantly underestimated by Fox. 

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Wait wait wait the movie has massive destruction? Now I have to see it, why didn't somebody said this before?!

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hit and miss for me. pretty 50/50 on the songs but the fact they have to write so many is commendable. that's the reason flight of the conchords called it quits after only 2 seasons. writing 2 funny songs per episode is hard as fuck.

The songs are usually clever but every once in awhile they're amazing. I also think Rebecca is one of the best-realized comedic characters I've seen in awhile -- they really don't shy away from how fucked up she is. And it gets a lot of good will from me for so many little tongue-in-cheek jokes about the San Gabriel Valley (and LA in general), though admittedly they probably don't travel well at all. 

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Well, anime is like whiskey or dark chocolate, some people love it, others hate it. I thought that it was great and I have never dyed my hair or had any body piercing done. 

On another note, why is Universal consistently underestimating Get Out's incredible numbers? That was an epic hold, just a 15% decline. Logan was also significantly underestimated by Fox. 

Studios underestimate movies because then they get a "wow, it's even bigger than we thought!" moment and a lot more press coverage than they would have if they'd correctly said the numbers. Like when Disney "underestimated" TFA opening weekend and it ended up breaking the worldwide record when actuals came in.

Edited by Eevin

1. It's really amazing how often we all feel the need to rank CBMs. :lol:

2. Count me among those bored by the airport scene in CW. Taken on its own, without context, it'd be a fun little thing. It felt trivial and a waste of time within the movie itself, when (IMO) it should've felt the exact opposite. Then again, my favorite scene from that movie is arguably one of the most pointless additions of all: Tony Stark and Peter Parker in his apartment. 

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Which movie is this?

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Studios underestimate movies because then they get a "wow, it's even bigger than we thought!" moment and a lot more press coverage than they would have if they'd correctly said the numbers. 

Nah, it's just better to be conservative because they don't look like fools to their bosses. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dig iZombie a lot (best zombie show on tv don't @ me walking dead losers). crazy ex girlfriend is goodish. everything else on cw is trash (don't @ me dc assholes)

Fun fact; the main girl in iZombie went to my high school. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That's not really the reason why I'd say Your Name is a good movie.

For me it was one of the reasons. 99.9% of the movies I have watched in my life are American (including British co-productions)  When coming across something else, especially something as distinct as Japanese animation, it's definitely striking to observe the very different sensitivities. And yes, there are many other factors that make that movie  great, such as its beautiful animation. 

• Like 1