franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

Gunn's firing looks even dumber now that Dan Harmon wasn't fired for his gross juvenile bullshit from 2009. And that was a Youtube video. And I don't much like Dan Harmon after he was an abusive asshole to one of his female writers. Nobody has accused Gunn of being personally abusive as of yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The self-reflection excuse doesn't exactly work cause these are from 5-10 years ago and he's already openly talked about changing since then. So he's going to re-reflect on stuff that he's already reflected on years ago and moved on from? lol

I know but you get my point, right? They could have done this with more diplomacy. especially since his tweets were not a secret, he didn't repeat those jokes since, and was well liked by cast&crew and fans. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Gunn's firing looks even dumber now that Dan Harmon wasn't fired for his gross juvenile bullshit from 2009. And that was a Youtube video. And I don't much like Dan Harmon after he was an abusive asshole to one of his female writers. Nobody has accused Gunn of being personally abusive as of yet. 

Could you imagine if they start to fire adult cartoon comedy people for offensive joke....... they are in the very product they make on the network.

13 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

It actually boggles my mind that people think idiotic inflammatory jokes are somehow worse than repeatedly driving drunk/high thus endangering everyone around them. 

I would imagine endangering life with drunk and coke speed driving is considered worst would push and asked if it is. It is less fun to engage and the big difference is written form vs talked about.

If someone would have filmed themselves doing the drug, getting drunk and speed driving, made it available on the Internet and Gunn would have been known to tell those type of joke but without any public record of it, the situation would be inversed for the very same actions.

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The self-reflection excuse doesn't exactly work cause these are from 5-10 years ago and he's already openly talked about changing since then. So he's going to re-reflect on stuff that he's already reflected on years ago and moved on from? lol

And to be honest, that’s the biggest reason why folks are scratching their heads at his firing. If he didn’t apologize and he didn’t change, then I don’t think a lot of people would care. I mean I certainly wouldn’t ask why he was fired. 

It’s like we always say that we want people to grow and change but when someone actually shows that they’ve grown and changed yet still get punished what message are we actually sending? That we shouldn’t own up to mistakes or change at all because regardless the consequences are the same. I know I know “actions have consequences” but again consequences to actions in which an individual has shown no attempt to owning up to their mistakes/not changing should not be the same as consequences for someone who has owned up to their mistakes/has changed. I said this before and I wanna say it again: all actions, whether good or bad, have consequences but not all consequences need to be the same. 

What Disney should have done is released a statement stating that they don’t agree with Gunn’s tweets but that he has apologized for them and has shown that he has grown/changed over the years, which they believe is an important aspect of society being able to evolve but that they’d take a cut of Gunn’s salary and donate it to victims of abuse. (Or something along those lines) 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nova said:

And to be honest, that’s the biggest reason why folks are scratching their heads at his firing. If he didn’t apologize and he didn’t change, then I don’t think a lot of people would care. I mean I certainly wouldn’t ask why he was fired. 

It’s like we always say that we want people to grow and change but when someone actually shows that they’ve grown and changed yet still get punished what message are we actually sending? That we shouldn’t own up to mistakes or change at all because regardless the consequences are the same. I know I know “actions have consequences” but again consequences to actions in which an individual has shown no attempt to owning up to their mistakes/not changing should not be the same as consequences for someone who has owned up to their mistakes/has changed. I said this before and I wanna say it again: all actions, whether good or bad, have consequences but not all consequences need to be the same. 

What Disney should have done is released a statement stating that they don’t agree with Gunn’s tweets but that he has apologized for them and has shown that he has grown/changed over the years, which they believe is an important aspect of society being able to evolve but that they’d take a cut of Gunn’s salary and donate it to victims of abuse. (Or something along those lines) 

Now Disney has backed themselves into a corner. They have to fire anyone who has said ever said something bad on social media no matter if they have changed or not.  If they do not then they will be called out about the Gunn firing. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Now Disney has backed themselves into a corner. They have to fire anyone who has said ever said something bad on social media no matter if they have changed or not.  If they do not thet will be called out about the Gunn firing. 

They should also start by firing those who are actually abusive. 

Otherwise they’ll look like even bigger hypocrites. 

• Like 3

if they wanted to re-hire him they wouldn't fire him with a statement that basically says we won't work with him ever again, he is not re-hireable. I get that fans want him back but lets get real. if Disney wanted to re-hire him they'd leave the door ajar. As it is, they didn't just shut the door but built a wall to cut him off. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

if they wanted to re-hire him they wouldn't fire him with a statement that basically says we won't work with him ever again, he is not re-hireable. I get that fans want him back but lets get real. if Disney wanted to re-hire him they'd leave the door ajar. As it is, they didn't just shut the door but built a wall to cut him off. 

Yeah it would just make them look dumber if they change now and would just indicate even further that they're reactionary to whatever's trending on twitter.

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Disney is so going to PG 13 Deadpool to death. 

They’d be idiots to do that, given that part of the appeal of those movies has to do with how raunchy they are. PG-13 movies for traditionally R-rated properties pretty much never work. Just ask The Expendables 3, Terminator Genisys and Robocop. They’d be better off not even bothering with Deadpool at all. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

They’d be idiots to do that, given that part of the appeal of those movies has to do with how raunchy they are. PG-13 movies for traditionally R-rated properties pretty much never works. Just ask The Expendables 3, Terminator Genisys and Robocop. They’d be better off not even bothering with Deadpool at all. 

I think that’s whats going to happen. I was of the mind set that there’s no way they wouldn’t do Deadpool but I think that franchise is done. At least the Ryan Reynolds led one. He’s been asked about DP3 on numerous occasions and he and the writers have been pretty much saying yea it’s not happening. And I think that has everything to do with Disney taking over. 

I imagine if Disney incorporates Deadpool into any MCU stuff it’ll be more just like a cameo or something and not an full fledged film. 

Anyways sorry for the off topic post lol 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Found this comment on the MCU subreddit, makes a lot of sense imo :ph34r:

Disney is smart enough to know that the story will break one way or another. So the only way that they can control the break is to control how people see the story. So they fire James Gunn, knowing the backlash it'll bring. In fact, they bank on it. Count on it. If they don't fire him and wait for the crowd to call for the witch hunt, they have to fire him permanently. For real. He doesn't have a chance because public view has eaten him alive.

HOWEVER, if they DO fire him, Disney takes the heat and waits for the fan backlash. Suddenly the view of James Gunn is no longer "the monster", but now of a man seeking repentance. A man sorry for his past actions, and how he's moved beyond them. James Gunn stays humble during all of this, doesn't put up a fight, and instead owns up to everything said about him. He's heartbroken, but not going to fight back.

Fans call for his reinstatement. Disney lets a few days go by, in a little while they say that they hear the calls for justice. That they hear the fans wanting James Gunn back. And in an unprecedented turn of events, Disney hires him back. Disney comes out of this with a little PR scuffle

That is utterly absurd. Further proof that Marvel fans are completely delusional.

Edited by eVerYtHING
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nova said:

I imagine a that Gunn gave a cut of is salary, Disney cannot do something like that, it is not a weird work outside the law environment like north american professional sport.