franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I am still gobsmacked that people here think that thinking rape and pedophilia are wrong has become a Liberal/COnservative issue.

I hate Trump as much as anybody, but I think dragging him into this discussion is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I an not a Disney Fanboy, but I do think the get a lot of heat here for things that any studio would do. Granted, Disney does have a family friendly image to worry about.but I think Warners, Universal .Paramount or name your favorite big studio would have given Gunn the boot.

Not has a moral defense of the other studio, but just in term of situation

the other studio

1) has less the family friendly image to worry about like you mentionned

2) Not a recent precedent like Rosanne augmenting the pressure and fueling the situation

3) And a bit of Cynicism, but for other studio's a director that was turning out over 800m global box office success making a sequel for them would a relatively much bigger deal, would be much harder to let it go like that for them than it is for Disney on their incredible current hot streak. Can you imagine Paramount in the same situation. 

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

but saying they did it to appease the Trump Administration is just pure Disney bashing.

Well they have an history, when they refused to release Fahrenheit 9-11, it felt a lot because George Bush brother was Florida governor.

That said it is pure speculation, they certainly didn't fire Rosanne to appease Trump administration, so it is certainly not a necessary condition, anything that is controversial and get traction seem to make them react. 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

yeah he changed as soon as he was hired to direct a big budget movie. He made those comments at 44. He wasn't exactly a dumb kid. 

This fine example of comedy was two months after he was hired by Disney to make children's movies.

EL3Mnco.jpg

James Gunn on the slippery slope of firing people for edgy comedy:

nTJrYAU.jpg

Gunn was wrong then and he's wrong now. As @The Futurist has been consistently pointing out, outrage culture needs to end or at least simmer down, and freedom of speech is a cultural value, not just a constitutional amendment. Pratt said it exactly right in his tweet:

I see from many posts in this thread and the wise blue checkmarks on Twitter that most people haven't learned a thing. They think a line can be drawn, with "that person looks like [insert offensive comparison here]" on one side and "I'm a pedo rapist!" on the other. Good luck with that! By the way Bautista, it's not a good idea to put "cyber-nazis" on the anti-pedophilia side of an issue.

Next up is Rick and Morty's Dan Harmond for an old video resurfacing where he repeatedly rapes an infant doll. 

Spoiler

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand baby rape jokes. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical sexuality most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike baby rape videos truly ARE idiots. 

Edited by Pure Spirit

7 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

So many things flying over my head right now. All I got is "oof"

Gibson kind of saved is career when he could not get insured anymore:

Downey was able to return to the big screen after Mel Gibson, who had been a close friend to Downey since both had co-starred in Air America, paid Downey's insurance bond for the 2003 film The Singing Detective (directed by his Back To School co-star Keith Gordon).[62] Gibson's gamble paved the way for Downey's comeback and Downey returned to mainstream films in the mid-2000s with Gothika, for which producer Joel Silver withheld 40% of his salary until after production wrapped as insurance against his addictive behavior.

Even if Gibson had to stop is theatrical play with Downey because he got arrested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/935383.stm

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

It is obviously debatable, the general point being that jokes are not as bad as actual anything. Would people believe Rosanne joke attempt was not revealing / showing actual racism it would be different.

Obviously Gunn having raped a child would be worst than just being racist.

There is many other difference.

Gunn made those when twitter was a small platform and virtually unknown, getting 2-3 like on is tweet back in the 2009-2010 days:

chartoftheday_10460_twitter_user_growth_

Back then, for him it was not that far to the equivalent of doing jokes among friend, to a very specific audience loving that suff (that watched is niche movies/stuff of that style and personal friend), it was not @someone and so obviously over the top to not be possible for the reader to not get it is an attempt to make a joke.

The other is not accused of doing racial charged humor, but to be racist and to have made a racist comment, (like Milo was accused to take a pro-hebephilia stance not make a hebephilia joke), did it on what was a giant platform and while being currently engaged by ABC/Disney.

Both are overreaction from Disney / should have accepted it when they hired that type of people ( I mean Rosanne took picture disguised as Hitler cooking like Jews in her oven and a long list) or not hired them without the condition of stopping social media or something, but they are different incident.

You do not get to say you cannot have nuance between 2 different event without giving a argumentation to why that would be the case.

You do realize by this you are making the point of those of us that support the firing of James Gunn.

You are basically saying Twitter was a smaller platform back then and he wasn't afraid to post pedo "jokes" but now that the platform got bigger he doesn't post those kind of tweets for obvious reasons.

I think if Hillary had won, and everything else remained the same, Gunn would still have been fired.

Now if this would have happened If the Weinstein scandal had not broke  is a more interesting question.

The main impact the Weinstein scandal has had is that the industry is no longer willing to overlook things which it overlooked before.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

You do realize by this you are making the point of those of us that support the firing of James Gunn.

You are basically saying Twitter was a smaller platform back then and he wasn't afraid to post pedo "jokes" but now that the platform got bigger he doesn't post those kind of tweets for obvious reasons.

Well if my point are going into pro-firing gun that ok, but I do not see it.

Twitter being a very small paltform and him not having follower, is saying that when he was making is joke it was to a very specific audience, to put it to an extreme if he would have made those joke in parties inside is house with is friend, would you still be for Disney firing him ?

The chance of hurting a lot of people that find those joke offensive or triggering of bad past experience was really small, when is audience was a close one that liked those joke (thus following him on twitter), would be different now a day, because now people would re-tweet, media would print and reach people for who those jokes are not for.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think if Hillary had won, and everything else remained the same, Gunn would still have been fired.

Now if this would have happened If the Weinstein scandal had not broke  is a more interesting question.

The main impact the Weinstein scandal has had is that the industry is no longer willing to overlook things which it overlooked before.

I agree with this. Outrage culture and being politically correct did this and should end by both sides from both sides of the spectrum but this seems like a miracle.

A great video about the state of comedy now.

Edited by stephanos13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

Outrage culture and being politically correct did this and should end by both sides from both sides of the spectrum but this seems like a miracle.

4 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

That seem like an interesting position.

Outrage culture should end but still be high enough for old bad jokes of bad taste tweets to cost the job of someone ? Where would be the line ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

Wouldn't Taika Waititi make sense as a replacement?

Is making an Htiler satire movie right now, would make a realy good replacement I would think, but I would like to think he would refuse to scab Gunn job, except if there is something we do not know about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That seem like an interesting position.

Outrage culture should end but still be high enough for old bad jokes of bad taste tweets to cost the job of someone ? Were would be the line ?

Good question, difficult answer. I guess where everyone says we start all over? 🙂

Oh and just for some real balance. I'll say that my fellow social media Liberal's no one can ever change no matter what and lets get outraged about every little thing that ever happens stances, are dumb and disturbing beyond words. There is not a more unforgiving creature than a Twitter and Tumblr liberal.

People could prove change for 55 years and these outraged idiots would still bring up how they were cancelled forever because they said one slight non PC thing. 

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

Roseanne also believed in child actors conspiracy in school shootings. That tweet was the last straw not a single event. She is fucked up.

And Gunn was calling for armed revolution last time I checked his Twitter feed before pedogate. I could just as easily say Gunn gave Disney an easy excuse to get rid of him and pedogate was the last straw, but that would be stepping into conspiracy territory. Wait, is believing in conspiracies cause to be fired? I can't keep up!

Anyway, it's all moot, because both Roseanne and Gunn got the same treatment, so in Disney's eyes their behavior was equally egregious, and I don't need to follow the tortured logic in this thread.