franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

Reception indicators across the board are extremely high. Definitely could have a WOM monster here. See how it goes once it reaches domestic market. But looking good early.

I see it tonight. Pretty excited as the first Guardians is still my favorite MCU. Been ages since I saw a film opening night.

Edited by eXtacy

So what was the critics problem here? Granted the critical reception is getting better than it looked at first, but certainly nothing like these audience reports in here. Though I mentioned last week this could be an audience/critics disconnect movie just bc I feel critics weren’t as praiseworthy of 2 as they should have been at a time when MCU almost never got “underrated” reception from them. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So what was the critics problem here? Granted the critical reception is getting better than it looked at first, but certainly nothing like these audience reports in here. Though I mentioned last week this could be an audience/critics disconnect movie just bc I feel critics weren’t as praiseworthy of 2 as they should have been at a time when MCU almost never got “underrated” reception from them. 

I just watched Guardians 2 for the first time last night and had a lot of issues, but I loved the first and hope 3 can recapture that magic for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bordlove said:

Can this get A+ cinemascire? 

Hard to say, overseas reception is definitely in the A+ realm, but US audiences can be less excited [just like happened with the reviews that also was better in Europe etc] 

I would say tho that i´ll be very surpried if the movie ended up pulling NWH type of reception overseas and then get a disappointing A- on US ... i think at least an A should happen based on what we´re seeing OS

An A+ would be nice tho, and while it´s unlikely, i think the foreign reception showed that is not impossible 

Edited by ThomasNicole

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

o·pin·ion
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
  • Like 1

Honestly I think it may be better for mcu if Gunn can make DC good. He would only have control of like one movie per few years over at marvel, increasing GA interest in the genre as a whole may be more valuable.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:
o·pin·ion
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Noting that something is an opinion doesn’t really go any % of the way to answering why opinions differ between groups in a specific case

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Noting that something is an opinion doesn’t really go any % of the way to answering why opinions differ between groups in a specific case

I feel like it's pushing it a bit to say critics reception here differs so much that it warrants asking that question though. With the score now solidifying around 80 instead of going down reviews certainly landed on the good side even if they're not overwhelmingly great like the audience scores.

Especially because I feel like the same persons are just trying to push a "critics are out of touch" narrative that they really tried to push with Mario already. Maybe we'll get a sequel for the trilogy when Fast or Transformers obviously go rotten...

• Like 1