Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

If Wonder Woman manage to beat BvS really opening weekend, I doubt DC fans will be going to be trolled hard on Youtube, that would beat all expectation, Wonder Woman beating the opening of a movie featuring Batman, Superman and a little bit of Wonder Woman, that would be seen by anyone has an undeniable huge success.

No need to beat BvS for that either, beating Suicide Squad would also do that.

Sorry I was referring to BATB beating BvS not WW. WW I don't think opens to anywhere near this.

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

From a 64.5 OD I would be astonished by anything above a 55 Saturday. Stunned. I would say that I'd eat my hat if that happens, but I don't own hats because I have great hair. Sorry @MrPink

Exactly it would have to have a giant increase to hit that predicted number. I just don't see the audience without that male demo (the guys who only go for movies like Logan) again but like I've said a lot this week, stranger things have happened.

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

So..

Tot: 158m

I predicted 157.5 for the gift card thing. I don't think I'll win anything but I got pretty close if those numbers stay true!

57 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It would require it to be completely unprecedented. Not that it can't happen, but the 3 big 200M+ movies all hit the zeitgeist and got as many people as they could and still only increased 15% from True Friday. An almost 35% increase from Friday for such a big Friday would be ridiculous. 20-25% is a more realistic target tbh.

Even that number isn't that realistic when compared to the others. I think people are setting their expectations too high again and over predicting this but it's possible. Maybe it's Friday was muted by St Pattys day? But I doubt it, I think a lot of people who wanted to see it have already rushed out and saw it. Maybe repeat viewings?

On a positive note it's Flixster has increased from 83% to 85% now so maybe that will change some peoples minds? Still doesn't seem high enough to pull off that feat. 

Edited by somebody85

26 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

ESPN Operating margins are ridiculous and we are on their backs to reduce it...frankly they need to fire close to ~40-70% of their talent and they wouldn't skip a beat...

I am not happy about Rex Ryan hire unless they can give me double benefits...

ESPN is a poison pill in the disney stock

March is making $$$, Logan will make $190-$200 million by march 31st and make $215 million total. Kong actually has made more $$$ than expected, and with overseas the film should be a nice profit for WB, and should make $150 million domestic total. 

A surprisiginly great holdover for the month Get Out, and has had the best holds for an R-rated horror film in years.this year feels like the early 2000's holds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Isn't by far their most lucrative asset ? and been a really good acquisition ?

Movies. TV. Themes. Those are their top assets.

ESPN is high but they are paying too much for their talent. Its not the content. Its the talent that I complain about. I can spit out statistics.

31 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

ESPN Operating margins are ridiculous and we are on their backs to reduce it...frankly they need to fire close to ~40-70% of their talent and they wouldn't skip a beat...

I am not happy about Rex Ryan hire unless they can give me double benefits...

ESPN is going to start hemorraging money over the next 5 years or so.  They are locked into some pretty hefty sports contracts signed before it became obvious that the loss of viewers was not isolated but would become a constant, yearly occurrence.  They have no real way of making up the loss in subscriber fees which gets worse every year while contract payouts to leagues and conferences remains steady or increases.

At this rate, their collapse seems inevitable due to a shortsighted business model.

"Then how is Beauty and the Beast primed to outstrip those films’ respective openings of $166M and $152.5M? Essentially, Beauty and the Beast‘s weekend is expected to explode even more based on the bulk of anticipated walk-up business. Currently, some industry estimates show Saturday even with Friday’s take which includes Thursday night’s $16.3m. There’s been reports of long lines on social for Beauty and the Beast in the Star Wars sense of the word:"

Really Deadline? With only two tweets and no actual pictures of lines?

"Nonetheless, everyone is going to Beauty and the Beast from grandparents to the millennial girls who grew up with the property. That group between ages 18-34 rep close to 70% of Beauty‘s audience according to ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. On CinemaScore, 72% females showed up tonight with 55% 25 and up. The under 18 set, who gave the movie an A+, represented close to a third of the audience. Also giving Beauty a perfect score were the under 25 set at 45% and 18-24."

Okay maybe this is just Cinemascore but that 72% is not that far away from Twilights 80% female demo. That's not a 60/40 split (I realize more realistic numbers won't be available until tomorrow - so in the end it very well could be but there's no mention of it here).

I'm going to be really surprised Saturdays number comes in as high or higher then they are predicting. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Just now, boomboom234 said:

It was but its been collapsing for years and it will only continue to worsen as cable cutting becomes more common. It's literally the reason their stock is going down 

Well yes it is doing worst relative to the past, but

Segment operating income in 2016:

Networks: 7,793

Parks and Resorts:  3,298

Studio:  2,703

Consumer Products :  1,965

The stock is so dependent of ESPN because of how much of Disney profit depend on it, because it is their number one source of profit. It is a giant segment:

Estimated subscription fees from ESPN's networks combined to account for more than half of Disney's total revenue from its cable networks division in fiscal 2015. What's more, cable networks is part of Disney's largest division, media networks, which accounted for 44% of revenue and 53% of operating income in fiscal 2015.

3 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Movies. TV. Themes. Those are their top assets.

ESPN is high but they are paying too much for their talent. Its not the content. Its the talent that I complain about. I can spit out statistics.

You are talking value, certainly agree with you, I was talking current source of profit ( lucrative), espn is much bigger than movies profit wise, no ?