kayumanggi

THE DARKEST MINDS | 09.14.18 | Fox | sci-fi, thriller

On 8/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, Mojoguy said:

I think studios focus too much on doing YA dystopian adaptations.

They should branch out and try other YA genres in order to be more successful.

If Love Simon would have been a break out it would helped, Fault in our star/Twilight/Potter did very well for non dystopian YA adaptation too.

Disney Atermis Fawl the next big budget attempt for a new non-dystopian style YA adaptation ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Divergent Allegiant pretty much killed the YA dystopian genre.

Really weird that the studios keep going back to that well.

To be fair, Maze Runner made them a ton of money only 7 months ago. 

Unless Mortal Engines breaks out this December, I don’t think another YA film will ever beat Death Cure at the box office ever again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Divergent Allegiant pretty much killed the YA dystopian genre.

Really weird that the studios keep going back to that well.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018)

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $58,032,443 Details
International Box Office $207,846,398 Details
Worldwide Box Office $265,878,841  

Ready Player One (2018)

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $137,018,455 Details
International Box Office $441,603,274 Details
Worldwide Box Office $578,621,729  
Further financial details...

Maze Runner: The Death Cure made the least DOM in the series, but I'll blame that on the delayed release after the star got injured. It did fine WW.

I don't think most people even realize Ready Player One was based on a book? It was sold on its high concept and the Spielberg, name.

DOM audiences are not as interested anymore with the genre. After the heights of THG, there has been a real decline in interest.

Edited by Mojoguy

Just now, The Futurist said:

Maze Runner was huge in France, almost just as big as The Hunger Games.

I’m so baffled by the international Box office for the maze runner films. Last one could even do $10m in the UK yet the franchise is huge in other markets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I’m so baffled by the international Box office for the maze runner films. Last one could even do $10m in the UK yet the franchise is huge in other markets.

Mama Mia 1 Numbers made me doubt the sanity of Her Majesty The Queen TBH.

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Blade Runner 2049 is post Apo too, Mad Max too, Apes is going there or will or was can't remember exactly.

Many are, but it was YA in particular.

WWZ 2 if it is made, next Terminator it look like, that genre is still quite popular.

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Maze Runner was huge in France, almost just as big as The Hunger Games.

And so constant, the 3 did almost exactly 25m in USD.

That a bit nuts, biggest non Chinese/US market with only South Korea being close:

THG is pretty weird, the series clearly peaked with the second movie. MJ1 declined and MJ2 was the weakest. I think it just got way too dark for some people.

But no YA adaption is ever going hit 400M DOM ever again like both THG and CF did.

Twilight broke out when it caught a lucky break when the first movie moved to November. thanks to Potter being pushed back to summer 2009 due to writers strike. It jumped massively for New Moon when it found its audience and stayed stable with all its sequels. Nice OS bump for the last one.

The next YA franchise needs to be able to cross over from the teen audience to the adult audience in order reach massive heights.

The Darkest Minds isn't going be that. Looks too derivative for one thing.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

THG is pretty weird, the series clearly peaked with the second movie. MJ1 declined and MJ2 was the weakest. I think it just got way too dark for some people.

MJ1 was boring and nobody saw MJ2 because of it.

47 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But no YA adaption is ever going hit 400M DOM ever again like both THG and CF did.

Twilight broke out when it caught a lucky break when the first movie moved to November. thanks to Potter being pushed back to summer 2009 due to writers strike. It jumped massively for New Moon when it found its audience and stayed stable with all its sequels. Nice OS bump for the last one.

The next YA franchise needs to be able to cross over from the teen audience to the adult audience in order reach massive heights.

The Darkest Minds isn't going be that. Looks too derivative for one thing.

I think the sad event in Paris also affected MJ2 box office. A dark film about war after a terrorist attack that killed dozens of people is not a big deal.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

THis is the worst movie I’ve seen this year. I walked out halfway through

Hehe, this is the only one the Shay MISSED... :) And I normally watch everything in cinemas.

It just reeked of desperation from the trailer. And not looking like a big-screen movie at all.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1