Dementeleus

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

Before we start the top five, here are some movies with very passionate support, who simply never got seen by enough people to have a chance.

Once

Black Book (I have to plead guilty here, as I've seen and loved it, but somehow had it marked as a 2006 release and so I forgot to include it in my list. It would've made my top 10)

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

• Like 7

5. Zodiac

starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr.

written by James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith

directed by David Fincher

IMDB synopsis: In the late 1960s/early 1970s, a San Francisco cartoonist becomes an amateur detective obsessed with tracking down the Zodiac Killer, an unidentified individual who terrorizes Northern California with a killing spree.

Screenwriter James Vanderbilt had been fascinated by the story of the Zodiac Killer ever since he read Graysmith’s book in high school. Once he was a professional writer, he finally had the opportunity to meet Graysmith and decided he wanted to adapt the book. But he’d been frustrated with how he had lost control of scripts he’d written and wanted more control this time, so he agreed to write the script on spec if he could retain more creative control over it.

Director Fincher had grown up in Marin County (just north of San Francisco) during the time of the Zodiac murders, and he remembered the impact those killings had on all the small towns and communities. He also liked the unresolved ending of Vanderbilt’s script because it stayed true to life instead of trying to shoehorn a more traditional Hollywood ending onto the story. Fischer decided to take a factual, objective approach to a crime spree that had essentially become mythologized.

Warner Brothers and Paramount agreed to co-finance the film; it was originally supposed to be released in time for 2006 Oscar consideration but it was running long — over three hours — a running time Paramount was not willing to release. Fincher eventually cut about twenty minutes from the movie and it was released in the spring of 2007. It opened modestly and was immediately lost in the snarl of bigger box-office hits like WILD HOGS and 300. Nonetheless, it was very well-received critically and its status has only grown in time, especially once the longer director’s cut was released on DVD.

Tomatometer: 89%

Random critic comment: “Zodiac runs long, about 21/2 hours, but it also runs fast, at a heart-pounding pace over four major characters and 22 years. There's not an ounce of fat on any sequence or performance.” — Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer

Random RTM comment: “One of the finest thrillers ever made. The way that Fincher captures the time period, the atmosphere and cinematography, how he slowly builds the suspense and the way he ratchets up the tension when the killer is about to strike. Add to that a fascinating story (being made all the more interesting considering the fact that the killer was never caught) and great acting, and you got yourself a masterpiece.” — The Stingray

• Like 14

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah. Still underrated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Jesse James not making the top 5 is surprising. too low imo

Too slow and arty for the top 5 esp in such a year. You got two huge Oscar/auteur movies, the best-received live-action blockbuster, the Peak Pixar movie, and one film that's massively grown in stature. No place for something like Jesse James there.

4. The Bourne Ultimatum
starring Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, David Strathairn, Scott Glenn
written by Tony Gilroy and Scott Z. Burns and George Nolfi, based on the novel by Robert Ludlum
directed by Paul Greengrass

IMDB synopsis: Jason Bourne dodges a ruthless CIA official and his agents from a new assassination program while searching for the origins of his life as a trained killer.

The third and final movie in the original Bourne trilogy, BOURNE ULTIMATUM was released in late summer and was a huge smash hit, grossing 72m in its opening weekend and eventually going on to gross over 200m domestically and nearly 450m worldwide. It also won all three Oscars it was nominated for, in technical categories: Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.

It also was very well-received critically, with most critics describing it as an intelligent, non-stop thrill ride.

Tomatometer: 93%

Random critic comment: “This adrenaline-charged, bullet-riddled sprint from Moscow to New York is the best of the Bourne films, a politically-charged actioner with chases, brawls, shootouts and dry wit that never relies on one-liners.” — Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel

Random RTM comment: “When I saw this for the first few times, I gave it serious consideration for best film ever made. Its that damn good.” — Baumer

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Before we start the top five, here are some movies with very passionate support, who simply never got seen by enough people to have a chance.

Once

Black Book (I have to plead guilty here, as I've seen and loved it, but somehow had it marked as a 2006 release and so I forgot to include it in my list. It would've made my top 10)

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Once missed?

Fuck you guys.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Too slow and arty for the top 5 esp in such a year. You got two huge Oscar/auteur movies, the best-received live-action blockbuster, the Peak Pixar movie, and one film that's massively grown in stature. No place for something like Jesse James there.

But that's exactly why Jesse James is better than all of those.

2 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Eat some popcorn, talk amongst yourselves. Got a conference call, back in about 30.

WTF man this is actually important. At least tell them what you're doing here, surely they'll understand

• Like 5