Grade It:  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I kind of agree with Tele. I wasn't that emotionally invested in the characters so I couldn't really care less that they all died in the end. Quite predictable though. 

The film was fun during the middle part, but that's about it. The deaths were done pretty well, Ryan Reynolds scene made me feel unwell. Give it a C. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Fun little space horror flick, with some creepy moments, good effects,  some good performances, and I thought Calvin was kind of cool.

However, I didn't care about most of the characters, as well as their stupid decisions that took me out of the damn movie (especially when they are trained astronauts). I also thought while kind of shocking, the ending was pretty poorly executed. 

You can probably enjoy it as a fun popcorn flick, but I will most likely forget about it in a couple months, which is okay for this type of movie, but I was expecting a little more.

Grade: B-

Moderators really should change the rating system.

For me an A-movie is Very Good (>8/10) or Fantastic >9/10)
A B-movie is honorable/good but flawed (>7/10)
A C-Movie is functional/entertaining but forgetable, original but flawed (>6/10)
A D-Movie is mediocre/boring but not without virtues (>5/10)
An E is bad at core (≈4/10)
An F is so bad it's good (<3/10)

But some users are giving B's as if that grade meant the movie's fantastic. 

Wouldn't it be better if the grades read?:

1. Masterpiece (an original idea executed in an original way with precision and determination)
  2. Fantastic! 
  3. Very good!
  4. Good!
  5. Functional/Honorable
  6. Mediocre/Boring
  7. Bad
  8. Very bad!
  9. Useless!!!

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

A C-Movie is functional/entertaining but forgetable, original but flawed (>6/10)

1. Masterpiece (an original idea executed in an original way with precision and determination)
  2. Fantastic! 
  3. Very good!
  4. Good!
  5. Functional/Honorable
  6. Mediocre/Boring
  7. Bad
  8. Very bad!
  9. Useless!!!

Grading something as subjective as film is always going to be inconsistent. You'll be better served by not worrying about it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

2. Fantastic! 
  3. Very good!
  4. Good!
  5. Functional/Honorable
  6. Mediocre/Boring
  7. Bad
  8. Very bad!
  9. Useless!!!

Don't agree with that rating system at all.

most critics (and me) and RT/film sites like letterboxed uses 6/10 - 3/5 and above as positive.

Thats an equal number of good to bad.

It makes no sense to have 6 slots for negative and 4 for positive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Don't agree with that rating system at all.

most critics (and me) and RT/film sites like letterboxed uses 6/10 - 3/5 and above as positive.

Thats an equal number of good to bad.

It makes no sense to have 6 slots for negative and 4 for positive. 

Isn't functional and/or entertaining (but forgetable/flawed) pretty positive?

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

Grading something as subjective as film is always going to be inconsistent. You'll be better served by not worrying about it.

Subjectivity is just an excuse. Doesn't exist. Everything can be assessed empirically. 

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Now that's empirically wrong.

Fact is that I have developed an assessment model (which I use when I grade/assess my students papers), and have been using this on films since 2009/10. And as for myself it works quite well to see which movies that stood the test of time and those that I loved upon first viewing but now thinks are just ookiedookie movies. 

The only movies which my model didn't work on was Kick Ass and Lucy which i still enjoy so much. 

22 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

C is a thumbs down first off. And who is to say Forgetable/falwed equals B, B-, C+ or  C- That statement can be applied to many things.

Also film is subjective but there is a more or less general consensus of quality. I view movies like food/chefs/restaurants  

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Fact is that I have developed an assessment model (which I use when I grade/assess my students papers), and have been using this on films since 2009/10. And as for myself it works quite well to see which movies that stood the test of time and those that I loved upon first viewing but now thinks are just ookiedookie movies. 

The only movies which my model didn't work on was Kick Ass and Lucy which i still enjoy so much. 

I mean, it's cool that it works for you but it's silly to tell everyone else to change the way they do it. Plus grades are a pretty small part of the overall review (generally). People's words are a lot better at getting across what they thought than a simple, catch-all grade.

I mean, it's cool that it works for you but it's silly to tell everyone else to change the way they do it. Plus grades are a pretty small part of the overall review (generally). People's words are a lot better at getting across what they thought than a simple, catch-all grade.

Exactly... So what's the point of having the "Grade it"-section at the top of the page when
1) Grades do not say very much
2) When nobody says what the A B C D E and F actually mean (Awesome, Bullshit, Carbonara, Dogshit, Efferent(!)?)... The statistics say a lot more when people know what alternative they've actually answered with.  

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Exactly... So what's the point of having the "Grade it"-section at the top of the page when
1) Grades do not say very much
2) When nobody says what the A B C D E and F actually mean (Awesome, Bullshit, Carbonara, Dogshit, Efferent(!)?)... The statistics say a lot more when people know what alternative they've actually answered with.  

Take it up with the mods I guess. It's not really an issue in my opinion. The grades are just a really basic outline of the forums opinion. No reason to overcomplicate it.

• Like 1

Take it up with the mods I guess. It's not really an issue in my opinion. The grades are just a really basic outline of the forums opinion. No reason to overcomplicate it.

It's definitely an issue

For me it was a high B but not quite a B+.  Very tense, solid design for the alien, and the space setting almost always appeals to me.

So when the camera went up above the capsule at the very end what you didn't see was the alien jumped out into the water, swam out to the deep ocean, and was promptly eaten by a great white shark.  Earth wildlife > mars wildlife every day of the week.

Fuck you calvin.

• Like 2

On 01/04/2017 at 5:46 PM, Amadeus said:

Subjectivity is just an excuse. Doesn't exist. Everything can be assessed empirically. 

No, it can't.

• Like 2