WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

2 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

the-numbers.com  predictions

batb: $48,000,000

Boss Baby: $34,000,000

Gits: $31,000,000

Power rangers: $18,000,000 - $19,000,000

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/220870830-Weekend-Predictions-Will-New-Releases-be-the-Boss-of-the-Beast

Both BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and THE BOSS BABY are too low.

1 minute ago, Momo said:

So you don't agree that PR this weekend will be below 15M?

No. Itll probably end up around $18M. Sub $15M for PR would indicate some really toxic WOM and there's no indication of that at all. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

So you don't agree that PR this weekend will be below 15M?

There is no indication it will drop like a rock. I am thinking 17-19M weekend.

• Like 2

Depending on the effect of spring break front-loading previews, BB could do anywhere between 45-55 imo.

Will be fun tracking #1 spot between BATB and BB.

GITS doing low-mid 20s seems bad because of the budget and expectations.

At par with The Accountant, Jack Reacher 2, Girl on the Train but hose were R-rated.

Was hoping for ~30 and 3x to 90. 25/70 could happen.

The Numbers is saying a range of under $17 million to over $20 million for Power Rangers.  Boxoffice.com is saying $18 million.  Box Office Mojo is saying $17 million.  Yet there are several people both here and on Power Rangers forums that swear it will struggle to make it into the teens.  It's always baffling to me how people can convince themselves they know better than the experts.  Maybe it's just that Power Rangers fans are so used to disappointment.  

Question,do you think a certain big wrestling event this weekend might lower some of the movie numbers on Sunday? I mean their a chance that some that would go to a movie on Sunday might stay home to watch Wrestlemania instead. Not saying it effect the numbers bigly,but maybe a little bit?

Just now, Momo said:

Question,do you think a certain big wrestling event this weekend might lower some of the movie numbers on Sunday? I mean their a chance that some that would go to a movie on Sunday might stay home to watch Wrestlemania instead. Not saying it effect the numbers bigly,but maybe a little bit?

Maybe some weekends, but not this one, where three of the likely top 5 movies are directed at families which tend to see movies early in the day anyway.

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

No. unless it's the Super Bowl there won't be much of an effect. 

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

Only giant football games like the Superbowl have any effect on the box office.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

The Numbers is saying a range of under $17 million to over $20 million for Power Rangers.  Boxoffice.com is saying $18 million.  Box Office Mojo is saying $17 million.  Yet there are several people both here and on Power Rangers forums that swear it will struggle to make it into the teens.  It's always baffling to me how people can convince themselves they know better than the experts.  Maybe it's just that Power Rangers fans are so used to disappointment.  

The quality of Samurai and Super Megaforce, both productions from Saban Brands, could be one reason fans are used to disappointment: because the TV show has been so disappointing to many fans since Saban got it back in 2010.  Based on the weekday trends this week though, I will say I am expecting a number closer to $17 million than $20 million.

9 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

RiffRanger - generally speaking (note there are always exceptions) this board is much more accurate at predicting where films will go than the Majors - check out the Derby, Andy always puts the major's predictions in there so we can have comparisons and they consistently rank in the bottom half of projections (weighted for everything of course, there are obviously films where they hit a mark better than some.) In particular BO.Com has gotten really bad since at least last summer noticeably so on family films especially.

Call it obsession, call it years of tracking when other's haven't spent the time but we have enough people and enough knowledge to do better than most - not pride or arrogance as much as it is a fact.

• Like 8

and @RiffRanger I could be wrong as well but it would take some substantial increases for Rangers to recover from that 2.0m Wednesday in order to get near 20m as some hope. Depending on how Boss Baby hits it (another family film) it could struggle to increase 100% on Friday - not saying it will, but the possibility is totally there. As with the last couple of weeks it all comes down to the Saturday. I frankly don't see it going any lower than 15m but it wouldn't surprise me to swing a million or so to either side of that.

IF it was flat on Thursday it would need a 145%+ followed by another 60%+ on Saturday to get near 18-19m for the weekend and that doesn't take into account the Sunday drop going steeper which could skew the numbers.

10 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

The quality of Samurai and Super Megaforce, both productions from Saban Brands, could be one reason fans are used to disappointment: because the TV show has been so disappointing to many fans since Saban got it back in 2010.  Based on the weekday trends this week though, I will say I am expecting a number closer to $17 million than $20 million.

Yeah the show been getting worse year by year. The last season I watched was Dino Thunder. Tried SPD,but couldn't get into it. So I just stoped all together. I only got back into PR,because of the movie.