WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Lucy had better marketing and also came right on the heels of Winter Soldier which boosted Scarlett as an action star. 

It also opened in the summer and in a comparative dead zone.  This March has been far more competitive.

1 N Lucy Uni. $43,899,340 - 3,173 - $13,835 $43,899,340 $40 1
2 N Hercules (2014) Par. $29,800,263 - 3,595 - $8,289 $29,800,263 $100 1
3 1 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $16,767,260 -53.8% 3,668 -301 $4,571 $172,455,889 $170 3
4 2 The Purge: Anarchy Uni. $10,482,760 -64.8% 2,856 +51 $3,670 $51,858,905 $9 2
5 3 Planes: Fire & Rescue BV $9,529,656 -45.6% 3,839 +13 $2,482 $35,347,478 $50 2
6 4 Sex Tape Sony $6,052,050 -58.6% 3,062 - $1,977 $26,953,582 $40 2
7 5 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $4,702,553 -52.2% 2,476 -748 $1,899 $236,455,028 $210 5
8 N And So It Goes CE $4,642,329 - 1,762 - $2,635 $4,642,329 - 1
9 6 Tammy WB (NL) $3,454,221 -53.3% 2,562 -840 $1,348 $78,201,310 $20 4
10 N A Most Wanted Man RAtt. $2,687,227 - 361 - $7,444 $2,687,227 - 1

Ah, summer 2014. A summer that was almost completely uneventful.

• Like 1

Just now, arpiaaaa said:

Even me, an inexpert, can see that BB won't make just 30.
Are insiders drunk?

I mean NOW it's easy to see it won't make just 30. A lot of us on here actually believed BB was being underestimated especially with the way it was performing internationally. So to us it's not really that shocking with how it's performing. 

Sometimes the insiders (coughDeadlinecough) can be drunk with their projections and what not especially after previews come out. 

• Like 1

BATB should do 48-52  for 396-400 cume.

It is no big deal for a movie, even when putting big numbers, to add 2x more the 3rd weekend gross to it's cume.

That would be average. So to add ~100 more after the 3rd weekend is conservative enough. 500 is happening.

BB's previews were truly strong. Monsters U made over 80M from 2.6M previews in summer, and that was a sequel to a beloved decade old film.

zootopia opened to over 70M with 1.7 in previews. Moana did 2M, and then there's the Home comp which people have already covered.

Could we honestly be looking at a mid 50's opening? :ohmygod: 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Five straight weekends with a 40 mill opener (more than likely), and that isn't even counting Get Out, which might be the biggest story in all of this. Yeesh!

It's going to happen again in June with 5, potentially 6 films :ohmygod: 

I say this as someone with no insider experience, but as a casual observer it seems as though some trades tend to underestimate films on purpose. Don't know if this is to be cautious, or if they want to make it seem like a film is overperforming. 

Just now, Eevin said:

I say this as someone with no insider experience, but as a casual observer it seems as though some trades tend to underestimate films on purpose. Don't know if this is to be cautious, or if they want to make it seem like a film is overperforming. 

totally

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

BB's previews were truly strong. Monsters U made over 80M from 2.6M previews in summer, and that was a sequel to a beloved decade old film.

zootopia opened to over 70M with 1.7 in previews. Moana did 2M, and then there's the Home comp which people have already covered.

I don't think so b/c it still doesn't have the screens - multiple locals around me are only giving it one screen (and it's a split 2d/3d at that)...and even the mall theaters are only giving it 2-3 screens...which is a shame b/c the ones with the split 2d/3d literally have no tickets left for a family for Saturday (they only have singles left)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

45 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Five straight weekends with a 40 mill opener (more than likely), and that isn't even counting Get Out, which might be the biggest story in all of this. Yeesh!

3.3% better than last year to date and last year had Force Awakens legs, Zootopia, BvS , Deadpool and has an award movie with is january expension The Revenant, so not an easy beginning of the year to beat.

Outside the obvious Monster Truck, the only massive 2017 release to really fail was the Great Wall and for the small one that should have work was The Founder (will be hard without any award attention to have a nice life on Home video) that I can think of.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Home could do over $50m two years ago in a similar slot then it's doable. 

Poor Smurfs will be lucky to make half of that next week. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eevin said:

It could be conscious but also in part unconscious, humans tend to give a bigger negative value to a loss than they give a positive to a win, specially if it is a public one.

And maybe because of something has stupid has the price is right, but it seem that the audience will punish you more if you were wrong by predicting more than they do the other way around. To the point that they will prefer and consider it safer to be wrong but significantly under than to be right but a bit over in their predictions.

There is also almost no incentive at being right for trades like that, almost none of their reader are using that information to take any decisions, so I would imagine they prefer narrative (movie over/under performing) to being accurate.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

3.3% better than last year to date and last year had Force Awakens legs, Zootopia, BvS , Deadpool and has an award movie with is january expension The Revenant, so not an easy beginning of the year to beat.

The entire country looking for as many opportunities as they can to not have to think about The Great Orange One.

• Like 1

2017 is kicking unholy amounts of ass so far. Not only have the blockbuster-y releases all overperformed, but we're seeing the return of the sleeper hit that most of us thought had died. Films like BatB are exciting, but it's the hits you never see coming that keep this interesting.

36 minutes ago, arpiaaaa said:

I can see some people (haters:jeb!:) criticising BATB because has lose it Num.1.......
WITH ALMOST 400 M

You'll see.

9 minutes ago, Momo said:

So a Baby is going to kill the Beast..Damn! Who knew it taking a crying baby to dethrone it.

giphy.gif