WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

Ghost in the Shell is doing poorly tonight at the theaters with reserved seating around me and the film starts in a little over an hour. Maybe a Life-esque opening isn't impossible at this point (which would be a disaster given the budget, of course).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

All hail box office queen ScarJo!

Ouch, yesterday you were suggesting that GITS would open in the same range as Life, what happened? Scarlett was an unknown actress yesterday?

1 minute ago, alisson23 said:

Ouch, yesterday you were suggesting that GITS would open in the same range as Life, what happened? Scarlett was an unknown actress yesterday?

He is overreacting. We still have no clue how it is gonna perform.

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

But how well GITS is known in the USA ?

Anime is super niche in the US, don't you think so ?

GitS is just a cult anime rather than popular animes like Pokemon, Dragon Ball, One Piece.

• Like 1

Are these good or bad comps for GitS?

Exodus 

1.2 m Thursday Previews

24.1 OW

12/12 release date

Maze Runner 2

1.7 m Thursday Previews

30.3 m OW

9/18 release date

Equalizer

1.4 m Thursday Previews

34.1 m OW

9/26 release date

John Wick 2

2.2 m Thursday Previews

30.4 m OW

2/10 release date

It looks like September and December movies are less frontloaded. If true, does anyone know why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

No offense but if this movie opens to $25M it might as well be a flop. Without Scarjo this film wouldn't have the pretty big $110M budget so it kind of goes both ways in that regard. You can't really say it would have been a monumental flop because 1) you don't know what kind of budget it would have had 2) You don't know which way the direction of the story would have went and 3) Depending on number 2, it could have gotten way better reviews and thus caught the attention of the GA

Bottomline is we don't know what would have happened with Scarjo not it.

Last week if PR opened to $25M, people would have called it a bomb but GITS with a similar budget opening to $15M less is suddenly not considered a flop? I know GITS will do better internationally than PR but still. 

PR is a much more domestic market heavy title thought, is domestic first weekend was much more important.

As for the budget, that 110M budget that the media is talking about is possibly after rebate like say: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-ticketing-service-weying-takes-stake-paramounts-ghost-shell-987261

Removing the sales profit from the budget and so on, that would have probably not happen without a star attach to the movie, studio wise the movie is not necessarily a bigger investment because of the star because of the co-financing/pre-sales door it open for them.

And sure, a different and better movie would perform differently, but that is a bit of a strange speculation, has a we known the script/movie with Margot Robbie would have been the same.

Has for speculating on how much the movie would be doing with Margot Robbie (that would have not made suicide squad) or a totally unknown actress, that will be extremely hard speculation to do. Would the movie achieved to get the same release (it is an impressive one, all over the world almost at the same time, IMAX 3D, etc...) with an unknown actress far from certain. 

That is in part what make studying the impact of movie star so difficult, the sample size of live action, without a really strong IP or director that sales by himself, on that kind of budget range getting that kind of release that do not have a movie star do not really exist, to be able to compare GITS performance to something else, it will be really hard.

World movie screen's is the most correlated variable with box office and getting them is already a major part of what a movie star give to a movie and how they paycheck tend to be justified even before a movie is released (that and the good co-financing/presales deal they get, you should look how good for the studio the co-financing deal (and bad for the financiers) are on a Denzel movie).

Good luck to anyone that is trying to isolate the factor of Johansson on GITS numbers, but I doubt you will achieve to built a strong argument about them.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, baumer said:

Power Rangers has a built in fan base.

Boss Baby is for kids.

Completely different trajectory.

I'll be needlessly pedantic and say that BOSS BABY isn't for kids. It's for parents who want to distract their children for 80 minutes. There's literally nothing about BB that's inherently interesting to kids. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, KevinPr said:

GitS is just a cult anime rather than popular animes like Pokemon, Dragon Ball, One Piece.

Makes you wonder what a well crafted Dragon Ball Z action epic could do.

I'm pretty sure it make double what GitS does.

5 minutes ago, Telerian said:

I'll be needlessly pedantic and say that BOSS BABY isn't for kids. It's for parents who want to distract their children for 80 minutes. There's literally nothing about BB that's inherently interesting to kids. 

So the old Katzenberg mantra of DreamWorks was their films was for the adult in every kid... 

• Like 1

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

IT just joined a list that includes movies like: Furious 8, BATB, TFA, this year has been pure madness for the genre.

50 Shades Darker is also in that list, and it made just 40M OW.

• Like 4

BB numbers are quite great.

And I don't know if BATB will lose the first position (I wish that doesn't happen) but its journey has been amazing. Very very entertaining.

Edited by arpiaaaa

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

PR is a much more domestic market heavy title thought, is domestic first weekend was much more important.

As for the budget, that 110M budget that the media is talking about is possibly after rebate like say: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-ticketing-service-weying-takes-stake-paramounts-ghost-shell-987261

Removing the sales profit from the budget and so on, that would have probably not happen without a star attach to the movie, studio wise the movie is not necessarily a bigger investment because of the star because of the co-financing/pre-sales door it open for them.

And sure, a different and better movie would perform differently, but that is a bit of a strange speculation, has a we known the script/movie with Margot Robbie would have been the same.

Has for speculating on how much the movie would be doing with Margot Robbie (that would have not made suicide squad) or a totally unknown actress, that will be extremely hard speculation to do. Would the movie achieved to get the same release (it is an impressive one, all over the world almost at the same time, IMAX 3D, etc...) with an unknown actress far from certain. 

That is in part what make studying the impact of movie star so difficult, the sample size of live action, without a really strong IP or director that sales by himself, on that kind of budget range getting that kind of release that do not have a movie star do not really exist, to be able to compare GITS performance to something else, it will be really hard.

World movie screen's is the most correlated variable with box office and getting them is already a major part of what a movie star give to a movie and how they paycheck tend to be justified even before a movie is released (that and the good co-financing/presales deal they get, you should look how good for the studio the co-financing deal (and bad for the financiers) are on a Denzel movie).

Good luck to anyone that is trying to isolate the factor of Johansson on GITS numbers, but I doubt you will achieve to built a strong argument about them.

I was merely responding to a post that said without Scarjo in GITS it would have been a monstrous flop. There's no way anyone can say that because without Scarjo in GITS you're looking at a totally different movie. So point still stands though. Without Scarjo in it, no way does this film get green lit with a $110M budget and no way does Paramount spend as much money as it did on marketing. As we all know the less the budget/marketing, the more expectations go down and the less the movie has to make in order to break even. 

12 minutes ago, Telerian said:

So now we know where Tele is going to be tonight :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Telerian said:

You seem so confident of what you're talking about. I didn't know you are a kid.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

So now we know where Tele is going to be tonight :ph34r:

Ironically, a buddy of mine wants to see GITS so I'll be there. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

You seem so confident of what you're talking about. I didn't know you are a kid.

I've got a small child -- I know what he (and his various friends at school) like. Kids aren't really that complicated. :lol: 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Wait, you watched it?

• Like 1