Eric the IF

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

13 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

So, I'm seeing from different articles that Power Rangers' P&A expenses were either $30M or $70M. The latter seems more likely, but then again I didn't see hide nor hare of advertising...

EDIT: And a third source claims that P&A exceeded $100M.

No way. That film barely got any advertising. All I saw were some commercials. 

UPDATE, midday: Right now it’s a dead heat in terms of who takes No. 1 this weekend with DreamWorks Animation/20th Century Fox’s The Boss Baby and Disney’s Beauty And The Beast each eyeing $25 million apiece. Both are between $6.5M-$7.5M for today. Meanwhile, Sony’s Smurfs: The Lost Village is looking at $13M-$15M for the weekend at 3,610 theaters after an estimated $4M today including $375K previews.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/smurfs-the-lost-village-going-in-style-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-box-office-1202064314/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

So, I'm seeing from different articles that Power Rangers' P&A expenses were either $30M or $70M. The latter seems more likely, but then again I didn't see hide nor hare of advertising...

They're probably both somewhat right.  Domestic...worldwide. Ok, probably both low to be honest.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Saw SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE tonight. Don't ask.

The audience was pretty subdued considering there were a lot of children who are usually good for some easy laughs. A few chuckles here and there but otherwise it was pretty dead. The theatre was about 80% full too.

All that to say, yeah, this one's a bomb.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, kowhite said:

They're probably both somewhat right.  Domestic...worldwide. Ok, probably both low to be honest.

You think they spent $40M advertising in the UK, Ireland, and Malta? Because those are the only foreign territories where LG footed the bill.

2 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

World P&A of 30 million would be impossible, it did spent above 25 million in the US in TV spot alone:

http://variety.com/2017/more/news/power-rangers-again-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202012184/

So maybe they are talking domestic if Power rangers got nice product placement deal for it, but considering the cost in the United state tv spot alone (add all the other cost and the Canadian release) it would be a bit low.

30 million P&A is a Think like a man too movie, 70 million is what the Resident Evils movie tend to get in the Sony markets (lot of market are pre-sold), 100 million is in the Click/Superbad/Captain Phillips/Social Network/Girl with the dragon tattoo world release expense, a giant superhero type of movie can reach the 200 million mark, Spider Man 3 had a 243 million world release, Da Vinci Code 221 million, the Emmerich destruction movie 2012 had a 201 million world release.

Now all of those are studio movie example (Sony, the rare world releasing cost we exactly know), some of them include an Award season cost and Liongates tend to spend less on a domestic release than a major studio (they were proudly saying that they were cutting cost and releasing the Hunger games part 1-2 with only a 50 million domestic budget each, see the link below), but outside domestic/UK it has nothing do to with them.

70 to 100 million for world P&A seem make sense to me, 30 is impossible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/business/media/hunger-games-studio-lionsgate-punches-above-its-hollywood-weight.html?_r=0

Perhaps more impressively, given the constant discussion in Hollywood about reducing promotional costs, Lionsgate spent roughly $50 million to market “Mockingjay” in the United States and Canada. Hollywood’s six major studios, each of which operates a domestic marketing department at least three times the size of Lionsgate’s, routinely spend $100 million to release a major movie in North America.

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

You think they spent $40M advertising in the UK, Ireland, and Malta? Because those are the only foreign territories where LG footed the bill.

He must be including all the world releasing cost to the other distributors cost.

So while at work tonight I tried improving my system for finding what movies grossed at my theatre compared to domestic BO. I know I got some bugs and hopefully this new system fixes it, but when I tried testing it it worked for some movies but not for others, much like the system I have going right now. So over the weekend I'll do some research and determine which system to use based on genre; like I said kids (animated) movies always over perform here so I'll see how well it goes if I use this system on those. What I tried doing tonight is instead looking at the PTA of the movie and combining it with how many theatre's it's in. I multiply a certain number by how many tickets are sold and come up with "our PTA" and then compare the two. This could fix some bugs if we get a movie that is only playing in say 1000 theatres and it does "our equivalent of 25M here" when really it does $12M opening weekend because of smaller theatre count.

So with the old system, Smurfs would have grossed over 6M here and Going in Style did over 8. While both are certainly over performances, I could take the newer system for both and say that smurfs did around 4.6M and going in style did 5.1M tonight. 
  • Like 2