kayumanggi

US | 03.22.2019 | Universal | 13th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

12 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Well, AQP was also a bit front-loaded during the OW (at least compared to most of Original Horror movies), it ended the weekend with a 11.7x multiple, not that far from the 9.8x that US got.

Yeah, US had a fanbase rushing in the previews, but, Nolan's movies are also front-loaded during the OW, and yet, they all manage to get great multiples. I'm using Nolan as example because he's literally the only other director that I can think of that has a fanbase big enough to cause some front-loading on the OW.

Yeah, US opened 40% bigger than AQP, but we have IT that opened 70% above US and managed to have a better second weekend drop, so, I'm not sure if that's a good excuse. 

Plus, AQP also broke the record for biggest OW for an Original Horror movie back in the day, and still managed to get a fantastic 3.8x.

Dunkirk fell 47%, only 6% less than Us, in its 2nd weekend after an OW that was $20 million smaller.

TDK's 2nd weekend drop was only .2% better than US.

Us is a horror film. Stop comparing it to non horror films. They don't have the same legs. Even it which fell over 50% in the second weekend didn't even manage a three-point multiplayer. The fact that US Open huge and will make over 200 million in the box office is fantastic Point Blank. If you want to compare us to a movie compared to other R-rated horror films like Halloween and It amd The Nun. Not PG-13 sci-fi and war movies. At the end of the day a critically acclaimed original horror film is making over 200 plus at the box office. That self is pretty unheard of.

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtis1986 said:

Us is a horror film. Stop comparing it to non horror films. They don't have the same legs. Even it which fell over 50% in the second weekend didn't even manage a three-point multiplayer. The fact that US Open huge and will make over 200 million in the box office is fantastic Point Blank. If you want to compare us to a movie compared to other R-rated horror films like Halloween and It amd The Nun. Not PG-13 sci-fi and war movies. At the end of the day a critically acclaimed original horror film is making over 200 plus at the box office. That self is pretty unheard of.

That’s stupid. An original and acclaimed Horror movie can be as leggier as any other genre out there, since 2016 we had more than TEN Horror movies that generated a multiple above 3.0x. People has that dated thinking that Horror movies can’t have legs thanks to the past of the genre, but things are different now.

And I didn’t deny that US’ run is impressive, of course it is, all that I’m saying is that a 3.0x isn’t something hard to archive for an ORIGINAL and ACCLAIMED Horror movie.

11 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That’s stupid. An original and acclaimed Horror movie can be as leggier as any other genre out there, since 2016 we had more than TEN Horror movies that generated a multiple above 3.0x. People has that dated thinking that Horror movies can’t have legs thanks to the past of the genre, but things are different now.

And I didn’t deny that US’ run is impressive, of course it is, all that I’m saying is that a 3.0x isn’t something hard to archive for an ORIGINAL and ACCLAIMED Horror movie.

Ok but Us is on track to have a 3.0x. 

8 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I hope so! I’m just disappointed by it’s second weekend drop considering it held so well during the week, but I hope it will rebound. 

Keep in mind that it lost all of its Imax screens to Dumbo Thursday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I hope so! I’m just disappointed by it’s second weekend drop considering it held so well during the week, but I hope it will rebound. 

so it's a weekday player. Likely because it skews adult and they take kids to kid-friendly movies on weekend. Weekend drop isn't a bad thing if weekdays are strong. 

19 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Polarizing doesn’t equal to bad legs, there’s several examples of movies that got polarizing responses from audiences and still managed to get good to great multiples thanks to curiosity about the ending/plot twist: (Interstellar, Gone Girl, Inception all shared the same CINEMASCORE as US and they all managed to get a multiple above 4.0x). 

There’s no excuses, a multiple below 3.0x for an acclaimed original Horror movie isn’t good by any means, imo. 

Multipliers do not mean anything when you open way lower. Us is going to gross $200,000,000+ at the domestic box office while those movies did not. Having a better multiplier means nothing. In addition, Us is playing the same as 300, which received a 3.0 multiplier, so why are you being so dramatic? 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

- None of those films opened to $71.1 million.

- "TEN"... out of how many Horror films released wide domestically since 2016?

- "The past of the genre"? There have been leggy Horror films since day 1.

You either know nothing about box office or are waxing glib for attention.

Edited by PDC1987

15 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

- None of those films opened to $71.1 million.

- "TEN"... out of how many Horror films released wide domestically since 2016?

- "The past of the genre"? There have been leggy Horror films since day 1.

You either know nothing about box office or are waxing glib for attention.

I'm pretty sure I know more than you.

Opening with huge numbers isn't an excuse to weak multiples, and neither opening low is a guarantee of great legs.

Movies like The Gallows and Sinister 2 opened below $10m and barely got a 2.0x because they couldn't secure theaters for a long time, a movie like US that opened at $70m can held theaters far more time than a movie that opens below $20m.

The Conjuring 1 broke the OW record for an original Horror movie back in the day and managed to get a 3.4x despite facing MASSIVE competition.

A Quiet Place broke the same record and managed to get a 3.8x.

Both movies opened at the highest leves (back in the day) for an Horror movie, they all got great legs.

The fact that it opened $20m above AQP and finished the second weekend doing the same numbers says it all.

And I'm not even bringing the massive OW's ($200m+) that ended generating multiples above 3.0x.

Claiming that a movie can't have great legs because it opened big is pure bullshit.

But, keep trying. 

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

so it's a weekday player. Likely because it skews adult and they take kids to kid-friendly movies on weekend. Weekend drop isn't a bad thing if weekdays are strong. 

Wrong.

US' breakdown was 53% over 25.

AQP was 63%.

In theory, US should've been holding even better than AQP considering it's drawing both teens and adults, while AQP was much more adult oriented. 

3 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Multipliers do not mean anything when you open way lower. Us is going to gross $200,000,000+ at the domestic box office while those movies did not. Having a better multiplier means nothing. In addition, Us is playing the same as 300, which received a 3.0 multiplier, so why are you being so dramatic? 

Dude, I'm not denying US' impressive success, all that I'm saying is that a 3.0x multiple isn't something hard to be archived by an original And acclaimed Horror movie, something that I thought was pretty obvious? And yet, people here are acting like I'm claiming that anything below GO's multiple is a failure for this movie. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Us is oddly playing more like a sequel to Get Out. If it does a 3+ multiplier off $70M+ OW that's pretty impressive.

If we start seeing US as an indirect sequel to GO, then I would agree that a multiple closer to 3.0x would be super impressive for a 'sequel'. But I just don't see why should I do this considering it is, in fact, an original movie that got some benefits from the credibility of it's director. 

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If we start seeing US as an indirect sequel to GO, then I would agree that a multiple closer to 3.0x would be super impressive for a 'sequel'. But I just don't see why should I do this considering it is, in fact, an original movie that got some benefits from the credibility of it's director. 

Just mean it was always going to be more frontloaded than something like AQP.

25 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wrong.

US' breakdown was 53% over 25.

AQP was 63%.

In theory, US should've been holding even better than AQP considering it's drawing both teens and adults, while AQP was much more adult oriented. 

A Quiet Place is a lot more straightforward than Us. 

Plus US opened $20m higher. That indicates more people rushed out. Also, marketing advised to avoid spoilers.

Anyway, a horror falling 53% isn’t new. n An original one opening to $71m, on the other hand, is. 

No one really cares what it’s multiple is. 

• Like 3