Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

50% saturday increase and 15% sunday drop.

Wouldn't it have an harder Sunday drop? Like 25%-30%?

Edited by YourMother

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

50% saturday increase and 15% sunday drop.

If it's like other MCU films the Sat increase will be around 63% and the MD drop will be higher - this is more of a FD movie. 

CW had a 3.7 internal multiplier it's 2nd w/e w/o MD (and dropped a regular 30% on MD)

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

CA3 also dealt with Angry Birds (and to a lesser extent Neighbors 2 and Nice Guys). AOU seems a better comparison, but I don't see Pirates under X-Men.

Captain America 3 had weak competition. Out of all the Marvel films released in May, only the first Avengers had weaker competition (MIB3 being the only film to do more than $70 million DOM besides Avengers 1). I'd say WOM and too many preceding films limited CW's potential (still phenomenal for a third film in the Captain America franchise)

By contrast, GotG Vol. 2 has average competition (Alien, Baywatch and POTC5 are easily stronger than Neighbors 2, Angry Birds and X-Men Apocalypse), but there's less mythology bogging it down, so I could see it having slightly better legs than the other Marvel sequels (2.6x-2.7x)

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Avengers increased like 60% and dropped 33%. Could happen that way as well. As Potus said 3.7x is a norm.

Civil War increased 63% and dropped 34% in week 2.  

I think Guardians skews way more family oriented and could have a bigger Saturday increase (maybe 70%) and then small Sunday drop (20%) with Mother's Day.

$64m - $67m could happen.   

• Like 5

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Why would mothers WANT to watch King Arthur on Mothers day though?

Yeah. They should have used the V for Arthur instead.

18 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Captain America 3 had weak competition. Out of all the Marvel films released in May, only the first Avengers had weaker competition (MIB3 being the only film to do more than $70 million DOM besides Avengers 1). I'd say WOM and too many preceding films limited CW's potential (still phenomenal for a third film in the Captain America franchise)

By contrast, GotG Vol. 2 has average competition (Alien, Baywatch and POTC5 are easily stronger than Neighbors 2, Angry Birds and X-Men Apocalypse), but there's less mythology bogging it down, so I could see it having slightly better legs than the other Marvel sequels (2.6x-2.7x)

2.6 -2.7 would be more than slightly better legs.  2.5 would be slightly better than AOU's 2.4 (which was better than F7's 2.39 just as CW's 2.279 might end up slightly better than F8's multiplier :P - and neither had the sized Thur previews the MCU films had )

Why would it having more competition though give it better legs?  Though there isn't that much more other than this w/e and even that wasn't exactly The Great Gatsby opening to $50m in IM3's 2nd w/e.   CW had $70m worth of (3) new openers on it's 3rd w/e which will be about what GOTG2 has it's third - give of take $10m.  It's 4th - Memorial Day w/e - $90m+ in 2 new openers over FSS.   GOTG2's 4th w/e might do around the same.   The 5th w/e it will get hit by WW & CU - which is where it really separates from CW in terms of competition (less than $60m in new openers)

Edited by TalismanRing

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Civil War increased 63% and dropped 34% in week 2.  

I think Guardians skews way more family oriented and could have a bigger Saturday increase (maybe 70%) and then small Sunday drop (20%) with Mother's Day.

$64m - $67m could happen.   

Is it really skewing more family?   It's under 25 was a far lower % than CW or AOUs.