grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, nomyth said:

I've been saying things are looking good for All Eyez but it seems to be flying under the radar here. I've been thinking it could get 30M or so for a while. It's been popping up fairly consistently on Pulse for some time. I bet it blows up on ticket sales next week.

To be honest I've always felt out of the June 16 releases, All Eyez on Me had the greatest chance of breaking out. I think both Rough Night, The Book of Henry and 47 meters down are DOA. And Cars 3 is your typical animation that will make decent money. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

To be honest I've always felt out of the June 16 releases, All Eyez on Me had the greatest chance of breaking out. I think both Rough Night, The Book of Hebert and 47 meters down are DOA. And Cars 3 is your typical animation that will make decent money. 

:jeb!: 

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

IDK what the deal is with 47 Meters Down. EC said the studio is aiming for 1,500 theaters, but I won't be surprised if it was in about 500 less.

The problem with 47 meters down is that it's already available on home video and the marketing for it has just been very stale and non-existent which is shocking to me because just last year Sony did a very good job marketing The Shallows so the blue print is there and that did pretty well OW given the release date change at the very last minute lol 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

The problem with 47 meters down is that it's already available on home video and the marketing for it has just been very stale and non-existent which is shocking to me because just last year Sony did a very good job marketing The Shallows so the blue print is there and that did pretty well OW given the release date change at the very last minute lol 

It is? I thought only leaked copies were online.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It is? I thought only leaked copies were online.

Yea lol I have a copy of it. It was supposed to come out last year in August but because The Shallows was actually successful it wasn't released theatrically (I've heard that's the reason why it wasn't released but can't say for sure) and ultimately it was released on home video. Then suddenly another studio bought it renamed it to 47 Meters Down (originally titled In The Deep....ironic when The Shallows slogan was What was once in the deep, is now in the shallows) and they've given it a theatrical release. 

Its actually not that bad of movie....but like I don't know what the studio releasing it is expecting at this point. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Yea lol I have a copy of it. It was supposed to come out last year in August but because The Shallows was actually successful it wasn't released theatrically (I've heard that's the reason why it wasn't released but can't say for sure) and ultimately the studio released it on home video. Then suddenly another studio bought it renamed it to 47 Meters Down (originally titled In The Deep....ironic when The Shallows slogan was What was once in the deep, is now in the shallows) and they've given it a theatrical release. 

Its actually not that bad of movie....but like I don't know what the studio releasing it is expecting at this point. 

I simply don't know how many theaters are willing to get it. There's a chance Focus expands Book of Henry or Fox expands My Cousin Rachel on the 23rd, and I feel like those would do better at the theaters 47 Meters is looking to get into.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I simply don't know how many theaters are willing to get it. There's a chance Focus expands Book of Henry or Fox expands My Cousin Rachel on the 23rd, and I feel like those would do better at the theaters 47 Meters is looking to get into.

The film is decent/good so it at least has that going for it but as a theater I would be extremely cautious of giving a film screens when it's already available for folks to watch at home LEGALLY. So we will see if it gets 1,500 theaters. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Presales from our friend, no figures given just a current comparison 

All Eyez On Me > Cars 3 > Spider-Man > The Mummy

Ouch probably for all of them, but All Eyez...and even then, not sure if that's even good b/c it's not really showing up much, if at all, on Pulse...

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The film is decent/good so it at least has that going for it but as a theater I would be extremely cautious of giving a film screens when it's already available for folks to watch at home LEGALLY. So we will see if it gets 1,500 theaters. 

I'm surprised theaters are even letting it release given how the Netflix stuff turned out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

To be honest I've always felt out of the June 16 releases, All Eyez on Me had the greatest chance of breaking out. I think both Rough Night, The Book of Henry and 47 meters down are DOA. And Cars 3 is your typical animation that will make decent money. 

Agreed. I wasn't sure for a while if Rough Night had some potential but it's shaping up to be another comedy misfire at the box office.

• Like 2

Everyone I know that would be talking about All Eyez has been talking about All Eyez since the first trailer dropped. Needless to say it's been hitting with the people it needs to, and not much else, but Tupac is pretty much fuckin huge so that'll be good for a big enough OW at least. And no, I don't just mean black audiences - Latino and white audiences, especially younger ones, in major urban areas like mine are also buzzing about/

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everyone I know that would be talking about All Eyez has been talking about All Eyez since the first trailer dropped. Needless to say it's been hitting with the people it needs to, and not much else, but Tupac is pretty much fuckin huge so that'll be good for a big enough OW at least. And no, I don't just mean black audiences - Latino and white audiences, especially younger ones, in major urban areas like mine are also buzzing about/

I question if it can appeal to non-Tupac fans. Buzz is nowhere near SOC's, so legs are dependent on WOM.

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I question if it can appeal to non-Tupac fans. Buzz is nowhere near SOC's, so legs are dependent on WOM.

True. But even Notorious adjusts to 24 million OW, and this has a better release date and Tupac is a bigger, more buzzed about subject for a biopic. So high 20s should at least be in the cards for opening.

• Like 3