grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I’m very wary of just multiplying by a number in the 4000s with the $/theater number figures from a big chain. Aren’t there a lot of smaller theaters in the 4400 theater figure that simply can’t do that sort of business and contribute a much smaller portion of the OW sales? 

Also note that if Sellout increase Thirs by 10% and F by 3%, the Thurs would be 1.1/3.13=35.2% instead of 33.3% of TFS sales. That knocks about 5% off of the estimate.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Forgive me for being perhaps a little naive, but I don't understand how an average $8/ticket is realistic. 
Considering many of the largest theaters have their minimum tickets at $12-15, with Dolby, IMAX, DBOX, VIP, etc being anywhere from $15-$25.

I understand the logic of average ticket prices, but on opening weekend we can expect all of the specialty shows to be sold out, bumping up the average by quite a bit. Considering the amount of late shows being added as well, it's likely to have quite a high adult ticket share. I would think $10 average would be more realistic. 

It is more realistic, but Menor was being conservative. Always better to under shoot than over shoot. 

The average ticket price for Thursday is probably closer to $13. I imagine Friday will be about $11 than Sat and Sunday probably around $9 each. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’m very wary of just multiplying by a number in the 4000s with the $/theater number figures from a big chain. Aren’t there a lot of smaller theaters in the 4400 theater figure that simply can’t do that sort of business and contribute a much smaller portion of the OW sales? 

Also note that if Sellout increase Thirs by 10% and F by 3%, the Thurs would be 1.1/3.13=35.2% instead of 33.3% of TFS sales. That knocks about 5% off of the estimate.

Yes there are smaller theaters of course that skew down, but bigger that skew it up. For instance, his per theater screening average for Thursday is 13.83 showings. The average for the 12 theaters I'm tracking total count for is over 26 (313/12). So it's all relative. 

Also, even if you knock it down to 3000 theaters at $8 a ticket, it's still $95m. I'm confident in saying it's at least $120m. 

Edited by VenomXXR

19 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, I would agree, but the other way I estimated by using the Thursday ratios seems to give a similarly high result. So I think it's almost definitely over $100 million (unless something about my sample was really unrepresentative). And @VanillaSkies I was purposely being extremely conservative with the estimates in order to give a low bound, it's easy for me to get overhyped so I've been trying to put my projections low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Premium George said:

Wait, so that assumed number of 400k was way off. Fuck pulse for crashing. We could have seen a number above million.

The pulse number is complete ticket sold by Fandango in 24 hours? I don't believe that. Its too low to be true. ffs Black Panther sold just 67k tickets on Thursday previews, that's barely $670k.

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

The pulse number is complete ticket sold by Fandango in 24 hours? I don't believe that. Its too low to be true. ffs Black Panther sold just 67k tickets on Thursday previews, that's barely $670k.

No, it’s just a random subset and counts transactions rather than individual tickets.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:08 PM, Thanos Legion said:

“But may be a bit short” Lol, nope.

A very commanding performance from Endgame 18 days before release against the 4th day of a 50M opener.  Wish we had TFA data to compare to, but that was in the nuked version of the thread, right? Could dig up some TLJ days I guess. Us was in 5th 2 hours ago, so I think it’s just barely behind CM. 

17:00 Pacific Time

1	32.5%	Avengers: Endgame
2	22.2%	Shazam!
3	9.7%	Pet Sematary
4	6.4%	Dumbo
5	6.0%	Captain Marvel

17:00 Pacific, 4/9/2019 (Discount Tuesday)

1	23.4%	Shazam!
2	18.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	12.2%	Pet Sematary
4	8.1%	Dumbo
5	7.3%	Captain Marvel

I’m not 100% sure this will be the last update tonight, if there’s one more I’ll edit.    

Remaining at more than 75% of Shazam even on Tuesday seem pretty good. Don’t have much else to say about today.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

17:00 Pacific, 4/9/2019 (Discount Tuesday)

1	23.4%	Shazam!
2	18.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	12.2%	Pet Sematary
4	8.1%	Dumbo
5	7.3%	Captain Marvel

I’m not 100% sure this will be the last update tonight, if there’s one more I’ll edit.    

Remaining at more than 75% of Shazam even on Tuesday seem pretty good. Don’t have much else to say about today.

Today will probably be the last time Endgame isn't in first? 

So about $5mn presales on Monday going by Movie tickets ratio to Shazam & PS (its actually $6mn, rounding down).

That would mean $65-70mn total ($70mn+ actually, but rounding down being conservative).

Even if go by pulse, its still similar number, more actually. 

Rough numbers for daily PS so far

30 15 7 13 (FSS) 5.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Today will probably be the last time Endgame isn't in first? 

I expect my end of day post on Friday and Saturday will have it in 2nd place, but other than those two guessing so. And who knows, Shazam might miss on Fri (or even Sat).

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also it's gonna be annoying when tracking next week for Detective Pikachu shows a $60-70M opening (which would still be a great number for it) and a lot of people start calling it "Detective Flopachu," most likely without irony. 

Aqua Man tracked for a 59 M OW and that clearly was not a flop. Hype has only increased for this movie, I'm expecting 100M + OW. 

And we all know Ryan Reynolds marketing for this movie is gonna kickstart soon and we all know he is a marketing machine.

Edited by Cappoedameron

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So about $5mn presales on Monday going by Movie tickets ratio to Shazam & PS (its actually $6mn, rounding down).

That would mean $65mn total ($70mn+ actually, but rounding down being conservative).

Even if go by pulse, its still similar number, more actually. 

Alright, how does this sound

April 2 - 8 = $65m

April 9, 10, 11 (TWTh) = $13m

April 12, 13, 14 (FSS) = $15m

April 15, 16, 17, 18 (M-Th) = $22m

April 19, 20, 21 (FSS) = $22m

April 22 (M) = $8m
April 23 (T) = $10m

April 24 (W) = $15m

Total through April 24 = $170m in presales

The revelation that Pulse is merely a subset does clear up one source of confusion I had, which was why movies with 2 weeks left would see drops on Discount Tuesday/weekends just because other films sold more. But if it's a subset that takes the same raw amount of tickets and other films just took more of those spots, suddenly that makes a lot more sense. But, since we normally use Pulse for comps and not raw data, it shouldn't really make a difference.

• Like 2

Cinemagic - 3 Southern Maine Theaters - 4/9/2019 Seat Count

Cinemagic 4/2/2019 Sold 4/9/2019 Sold Total Current %
IMAX        
Thursday 463 582 759 76.67
Friday 510 644 1753 36.73
Saturday 377 502 1720 29.18
Sunday 167 298 1607 18.54
Sub Total 1517 2036 5839 34.86

Recliners        
Thursday 227 237 307 77.19
Friday 163 242 721 33.56
Saturday 109 239 772 30.95
Sunday 41 70 665 10.52
Sub Total 521 788 2188 36.01

Stadium        
Thursday 448 607 1128 53.81
Friday 95 248 3384 7.32
Saturday 33 96 3384 2.83
Sunday 8 47 3176 1.47
Sub Total 584 998 11072 9.01

Total 2622 3822 19099 20.01

Notes:

- The Stadium Theater is once again pulling everything down.  Why go there when you can go to the nice recliners?

- Considering the IMAX just went to reserve seating, this is actually good for our area.  We are not pre-sale heavy.   I believe I have AIW number, I will try to dig them up for the next update.

Upcoming:

- Lincoln Center tomorrow

- AMC 25 day after

I also plan to do a Week One Round Up of what everyone posted for theater counts. There's been a lot of good activity, so I think we should have a Master Post for prosperity.  

• Thanks 6